LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-01-22, 2:03pm
namaste

Kevan and I wanted to thank you all for the great response to our new tutorial. Please email or pm us with your comments. We'd love to hear from you all.

Antonio (who doesn't post here much because I love my peace)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-22, 2:20pm
Gay rights R human rights

Here is a more basic question, do we have to have photoshop to be able to do the tutorial? I use paint shop pro XI. Do you think I will get value from this tutorial?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2009-01-22, 9:26pm
namaste

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post
Kevan;

Do we have to have Microsoft Word 2007 to do the steps in your tutorial? You mention it in your example page. I don't have Word. I have Works. I also have Photoshop.....an old version....Photoshop 6.0.

I'd like to buy your tutorial but I'm not sure I have the programs I need in order to take advantage of your instructions..........

Thanks
J
J...I'm not sure if you got a clear answer but...

We used Word 2007 to create the tut and then converted it to a PDF with Adobe Acrobat. If you have Acrobat or a browser with the Acrobat plug-in
(which 97% of the browsers have) you can read it. If you don't have the Acrobat plug-in you can download and use it for free.

Photoshop versions as far back as 4.0 should work. I am not familiar with the newer Elements versions but it appears they also will work or have workarounds that will work. (Did you get that?)

Antonio

Old 2009-01-22, 9:29pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
Here is a more basic question, do we have to have photoshop to be able to do the tutorial? I use paint shop pro XI. Do you think I will get value from this tutorial?
I don't think Paint Shop pro will work well with this tut. Sorry!

Antonio

Old 2009-01-23, 3:50am
Entropy increasing....

I have never used Paintshop Pro, so I don't know what features it has. Since I use Photoshop and always have, this tutorial is based on that.

However, the functions in Photoshop that I use are pretty basic. I'm not doing anything dramatic to my photos. Brightening, levels, clone tool and sharpening is about it.
Old 2009-01-26, 9:42pm
I need more boro stuff

I received the dvd in mail today, Kevan.

OMG soo much info. Very well done. Hopefully can improve my picture taking.

Btw, I only have CS2, do you think it will have a problem?

Old 2009-01-27, 4:12pm
Lover of all things color

Kevan, I use Corel Photo Paint but was considering purchasing Photoshop Elements 4.0. Will this work with your tutorial?

Also can you or anyone else by any chance tell me the difference between Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 Win.

thanks,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-01-27, 4:17pm
Recovering Enabler

I wish I could get one right now!

Old 2009-01-27, 4:23pm
Lover of all things color

Office Max has Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 Win for $79.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-01-27, 5:27pm

Have just ordered - looks like exactly what I need to be able to take useable bead pix. I just can't get the macro things to be clear. I posted fused work today because that's the only thing I (or DH) can take decent pix of. Thanks!
Beverly
Old 2009-01-29, 8:27am
Butterfly Rancher

I got mine and it definitely gave me some new ideas about how to improve my photos! I also love the humor.

The first section about setting up to take photos is great information for anyone. I found the basic photography information to be very helpful. Information on depth of field, aperature, exposure finally seemed to click to clarity because the explanation in the tutorial is simple and straightforward. I definitely needed that information reduced to the simplest of terms to get out of camera-jargon-phobia. I have a camera that I can use on manual settings, so I'll be trying that section out quickly.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2. With the photo editing section, I found it very useful to read about what tools are being used to do which editing tricks. I know that I'll need to find the equivalents in Elements but it is very helpful just to know which tools to look for and when I find the tools, to have some idea why I'm using them.

If you have Photoshop CS4, the directions for editing are very clear. There are arrows that show you exactly where to go!

I don't know the diferences between PSE4 and 7 since I'm back at PSE2 but Adobe does a free 30-day download of Photoshop Elements 7. I'm waiting for more memory to arrive so that I can give PSE 7 a try. I couldn't find PSE4 for less than a new copy of PSE7. And the new copies of PSE4 were significantly more expensive than PSE7. I also get a $20 rebate since I'm a registered owner of PSE2 -- so I can get PSE7 for $59.

I love the tutorial!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2009-01-29, 5:16pm
Entropy increasing....

You don't need CS4 to do this tutorial, any version of Photoshop should work. It's just basic features that are used. I don't know about other types of photo correction programs.
I would think they would have the same basic features, sharpening, brightening - it's not anything really fancy. I wanted to make it simple for people who aren't really comfortable with fixing their photos.

I'm glad you guys like it! It means a lot to me that you would say so.
Old 2009-01-29, 6:00pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
I received the dvd in mail today, Kevan.

OMG soo much info. Very well done. Hopefully can improve my picture taking.

Btw, I only have CS2, do you think it will have a problem?
CS2 will definitely work!

Antonio

Old 2009-01-29, 6:06pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
I got mine and it definitely gave me some new ideas about how to improve my photos! I also love the humor.

The first section about setting up to take photos is great information for anyone. I found the basic photography information to be very helpful. Information on depth of field, aperature, exposure finally seemed to click to clarity because the explanation in the tutorial is simple and straightforward. I definitely needed that information reduced to the simplest of terms to get out of camera-jargon-phobia. I have a camera that I can use on manual settings, so I'll be trying that section out quickly.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2. With the photo editing section, I found it very useful to read about what tools are being used to do which editing tricks. I know that I'll need to find the equivalents in Elements but it is very helpful just to know which tools to look for and when I find the tools, to have some idea why I'm using them.

If you have Photoshop CS4, the directions for editing are very clear. There are arrows that show you exactly where to go!

I don't know the diferences between PSE4 and 7 since I'm back at PSE2 but Adobe does a free 30-day download of Photoshop Elements 7. I'm waiting for more memory to arrive so that I can give PSE 7 a try. I couldn't find PSE4 for less than a new copy of PSE7. And the new copies of PSE4 were significantly more expensive than PSE7. I also get a $20 rebate since I'm a registered owner of PSE2 -- so I can get PSE7 for $59.

I love the tutorial!
Beckah,

Thank you so much for the glowing review! I can't tell you how much Kevan and I appreciate it. I think she has a post that is in 'limbo' right now thanking you herself. (She's on moderated status here.)

Anyway, as it was our first efforts at something like this we are more than happy with your words.

Take care and THANK YOUUUU!,

antonio

Old 2009-01-29, 6:18pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_gardener View Post
Have just ordered - looks like exactly what I need to be able to take useable bead pix. I just can't get the macro things to be clear. I posted fused work today because that's the only thing I (or DH) can take decent pix of. Thanks!
Beverly
Macro can be tricky if you don't have a true macro lens. Many manufacturers claim a lens or camera to be 'macro' capable when it actually isn't.

If you want to test a camera in-store, put it in macro mode (usually a little 'tulip' on the dial) and see how close you can get to something and stay in focus. You should be able to get within a few inches if the camera has true macro. I tried a Fuji finepix and a Sony that could both focus within an inch.

Also, look for a camera that offers you aperture priority mode. This allows you to choose the aperture size (the lens opening) while the camera chooses the exposure and shutter speed. With a small aperture you will have everything in focus from near to far--called 'depth of field' in photo-jargon. A shallow depth of field when shooting macro is quite common and needs to be considered. Bottom line: small aperture+macro lens=great closeups.

If you are on a budget (and who isn't nowadays!) you can take a regular camera and use either purchased macro 'extenders', or a regular magnifying glass! The magnifying glass tricks works in a pinch...but I wouldn't want to submit such pictures to say, a magazine or contest.

Finally, one more way to get tight shots is to stand way back with a good zoom. To do this, the lens has to be high quality. I shoot my video of Kevan making beads using an Cannon HV30 high definition camera and zoom from across the room over her shoulder. The lens on the HV30 is awesome in good light. Then, if you want a still, you just capture it during editing.

I hope some of that helps!

Antonio

Last edited by Antoņio; 2009-01-29 at 6:26pm.
Old 2009-01-29, 11:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoņio View Post
Macro can be tricky if you don't have a true macro lens. Many manufacturers claim a lens or camera to be 'macro' capable when it actually isn't. ....
I hope some of that helps!

Antonio
Yes, thanks Antonio, it does help. I think my Kyocera falls in that category. Will research more and get DH, who knows way more about photography than I do, to check it out as well. My work has largely been fused glass until now and we've managed decent pix for local things, but for beads I really need to have a better grasp of how to do things for faster turnaround when he's not available. Should get hte cd soon - thanks!
Beverly
Old 2009-01-30, 11:26pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_gardener View Post
Yes, thanks Antonio, it does help. I think my Kyocera falls in that category. Will research more and get DH, who knows way more about photography than I do, to check it out as well. My work has largely been fused glass until now and we've managed decent pix for local things, but for beads I really need to have a better grasp of how to do things for faster turnaround when he's not available. Should get hte cd soon - thanks!
Beverly
De nada! Please let me know what you think of the CD!

Antonio

Old 2009-01-31, 1:08pm

Neat!

Can I ask what kind of camera you have on the tripod?

J
Old 2009-01-31, 1:10pm
Entropy increasing....

It's a Nikon D50.
Old 2009-01-31, 7:52pm
Chrissy

Ok Antonio here is what I have to work with let me know what is good and what isn't...... Adobe Photoshop album starter edition 3.0........JASC Paintshop pro 9 ( this is sooooo confusing but I have it so I guess I have to deal with it)..... Microsoft Word 2003.......and I use a Nikon D40 ( I love this camera but I need to learn more how to use it) I want to buy the tut but want to have what I need to make it all work. Thanks for all your input!

Old 2009-01-31, 8:35pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeads View Post
Neat!

Can I ask what kind of camera you have on the tripod?

J
I assume you are referring to the picture of the setup in the tut...
That's a Nikon D50. It's the camera Kevan used for the past year. She now uses the Nikon D90 which, from what I have seen and done, is a far better camera.

Antonio

Old 2009-01-31, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoņio View Post
I assume you are referring to the picture of the setup in the tut...
That's a Nikon D50. It's the camera Kevan used for the past year. She now uses the Nikon D90 which, from what I have seen and done, is a far better camera.

Antonio

Yes the one in the setup. I thought it looked like a Nikon but wasn't positive.

Thank you!

J
Old 2009-01-31, 9:07pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Ok Antonio here is what I have to work with let me know what is good and what isn't...... Adobe Photoshop album starter edition 3.0........JASC Paintshop pro 9 ( this is sooooo confusing but I have it so I guess I have to deal with it)..... Microsoft Word 2003.......and I use a Nikon D40 ( I love this camera but I need to learn more how to use it) I want to buy the tut but want to have what I need to make it all work. Thanks for all your input!
Hi Chris....

First off let me say that you don't need Microsoft Word to make your pictures beautiful. Our tutorial is only about pictures and not about word processing--which is what Microsoft word does. Word is great if you are going to write some text or build a webpage.

You won't need Album starter either as this is simply a photo archiving program to keep all your pictures stored in an orderly fashion.

The Nikon D40 should work well. It has 6 megapixels of resolution--way more than enough for making great pictures for the web. It also offers aperture priority mode which is perfect for making the picture sharp and in-focus from near to far--that is, good "depth of field." It also has a built in timer so you can take a picture without touching the camera--great for taking really sharp photos. Finally, it offers interchangeable lenses which lets you go out and spend all your tax refund on that new super macro lens.

I would suggest though that you lose Paintshop pro and go for Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 or, if you have the budget, For Adobe Photoshop CS3 or CS4. In the tut we use CS4. Photoshop is the standard that all professional photographers use. It can be used for way more than just fixing photos. I've used it to create banners for websites, web pages, fliers for houses, product information handouts, fix old photos, make postcards, etc. You can literally do anything you can imagine to a photo with Photoshop.
Without some version of Photoshop you will not be able to fully use our tutorial.

Photoshop Elements goes anywhere from $50-100 while Photoshop CS3 and CS4 are selling for $300 to $700 respectively. The prices are all over the place when you go looking for a quote so take your time and shop carefully.
Don't believe a ridiculously low price, either. There are so many cheats out there! Use a reputable place like Newegg.com.

I hope that helps! (Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.)

Antonio

Old 2009-02-02, 4:42pm

Default Thanks for this tutorial!

Hi Kevan and Antonio,

I received my tut CD 2 days ago (shipped IMMEDIATELY - thanks!), and have really been enjoying it, though I've yet to take a new photo.

During yesterday's superbowl, I went through it and really benefited from some of the photo editing sections (have NEVER used the dodge and burn tools on the Photoshop palette.) and created a practice signature (it's counter-intuitive to think that this is now a "brush.")

Thanks for publishing such a well written & attractive tut with the essentials clearly spelled out. It's so nice that all the instructions in the tut relate to photographing beads.

I wish I'd had this a couple years ago. Maybe now I'll stop using the scanner for S&T!
Old 2009-02-02, 7:36pm

I must say I'm totally blown away by this tutorial! (It also arrived in record speed).

I've been pushing buttons on my camera for months now making a few random improvements to my photos, just not knowing why it happened or what the h*ll I did. I've had friends try to explain settings to me SEVERAL times. (They're disowning me at this point). Kevan's explainations are general enough for most (dare I say all?) digital cameras with "the tulip" It's written for the mindset of an artist. (That's not an insult to anyone-my brain does NOT like numbers lol) I use Photoshop Elements, and though I didn't see the dodge and burn tools there, I picked up several (now easy) tips for Photoshop as well.

Thanks Kevan and Antonio (and Bungee) for an outstanding tutorial, and a pretty one too!

Old 2009-02-02, 9:13pm

Kevan and Antonio,
I got my tut today and love what I've seen so far. I'm using GIMP but it's close enough to Photoshop that I've been able to figure out the equivalents for everything I've tried so far. I figured out pretty quickly that a big part of my problem is the "F" on my camera will not go any higher than 8, so I don't have great depth of field. I'm going to play some more with this in the next day or so, but posted the one photo I worked on in tonight's gallery.
Thanks again!

Old 2009-02-05, 11:02am
Entropy increasing....

Thanks so much you guys. I'm so glad you found it helpful.
Old 2009-02-06, 11:44am
namaste

Thanks Vicki, Kara, and Carol !! It was very nice of you to take the time to post a review---especially one we liked.

If there is anything we can answer for you guys personally I hope you will shoot us a PM.

Antonio

Old 2009-02-17, 9:50am

Hi Kevan, i just ordered mine today....Dawn Thank you

My pictures need help

Old 2009-02-26, 7:27am

My photo taking just is so bad that I just bought this. Has to get better. OH my. Will look at this and see if it helps. One brain has to connect to the other one to do this.

Rose Leslie