Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-17, 10:53am

Default Using a stringer to twist help

Any help out there on this would be greatly appreciated...I am trying to use a stringer to do a "twist." I have seen instructions using the cold, flat end of a stringer say to make a paisley or just a simple twist. However, I can't seem to get it right. My stringer gets stuck and I end up pulling my bead apart.

I have tried a number of ways, but I think I am not timing my heat correctly or something. Help? Ideas?

Thanks everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2012-12-17, 11:02am

Julie,

Are you trying to pull the stringer out of the bead after you twist? The best way to get it out is to snap it off where it meets the bead. Let it cool a bit after twisting, you can even blow on the spot where it's attached to the bead, and then snap it off.

You might be using a stringer that's too big. I find about 2mm in diameter is perfect.

Before you twist, you want the glass in your twist spot to be hot enough to move easily, but not soupy enough to melt the end of the stringer you're using to twist. Heat it well, then let it cool for a few seconds before twisting. That will make it easier to snap off your stringer.

Old 2012-12-17, 11:17am

I do pretty much what Kim said but my stringer is usually a bit smaller diameter and pulled from a rod. Spot heat where you want to twist, twist with the stringer and I blow on that spot and snap it. Do be careful your lips don't get too close!
When I say pulled from a rod, I mean to leave the rod attached to the stringer, about 4 inches of stringer or so. Full long rods are unwieldy, 6 inches of full size rod is a nice handle. What I don't want is the stringer to break when snapping it, leaving tails of stringer on the bead or too short a stringer to continue twisting.
It may take a couple of quick blows on the spot. If you can wiggle the stringer, wait a sec. You'll get the feel for when it's firm enough to snap off.

Old 2012-12-17, 7:31pm

Thank you Kim and Rebecca! Now I get it. It works, now just practice so it works every time! Thanks!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2012-12-18, 10:40am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
When I say pulled from a rod, I mean to leave the rod attached to the stringer, about 4 inches of stringer or so. Full long rods are unwieldy, 6 inches of full size rod is a nice handle. What I don't want is the stringer to break when snapping it, leaving tails of stringer on the bead or too short a stringer to continue twisting.
It may take a couple of quick blows on the spot. If you can wiggle the stringer, wait a sec. You'll get the feel for when it's firm enough to snap off.
I do this too and I use Reichenbach clear because it's stiffer and holds up better.

Old 2012-12-19, 11:07am
Pincel de Fuego

I'm gonna try this too!!! What a great thread!

/
/
Old 2012-12-19, 12:24pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I do this with different diameter stringers, different amounts of heat, and different colors of stringer to get different effects. I really love when the bead goes all wonky, like here. I imagine the bead has been "tortured". Not a fun idea but it sure looks cool.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-19, 12:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
I do this with different diameter stringers, different amounts of heat, and different colors of stringer to get different effects. I really love when the bead goes all wonky, like here. I imagine the bead has been "tortured". Not a fun idea but it sure looks cool.

I love your designs, pretty colors. I'm having fun experimenting with this technique and will post some pictures soon. I have some really "wonky" ones.

~
~
~
~
Old 2012-12-19, 3:11pm

I pull out the end of a whole rod until it's long and sharp and use that to twist with. I break it off flush with the bead.
Old 2012-12-19, 3:55pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

What Kim said....let the glass cool a bit...even blow on it and then snap the stringer off....another way to get a slightly different effect is to heat the end of the stringer just a bit and then press down on marver to form a little tiny Maria.....heat the spot on bead a d twist surface with Maria...cool and snap off....learned in a class...maybe Michael Barley....surely not my created process....

Old 2012-12-19, 7:58pm
professional gimme fiver

I spot heat with a pinpoint flame and then twist. Then I blow on it and snap it off.

Old 2012-12-20, 7:59am

this method (without the twist) can be used to apply very fine millefiori still in the rod form. I saw it in a youtube video and tried it with a very thin skull millefiori I made.

Laurie

Old 2012-12-23, 2:16pm
Pincel de Fuego

Additionally how to do this without completely deforming the bead?

/
/
Old 2012-12-23, 2:27pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegrafuct View Post
Your bead is solid when you twist. You only heat up the area you want to move.

Old 2012-12-23, 2:30pm
Pincel de Fuego

Genius lol

/
/
Old 2012-12-23, 4:19pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Heat control

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegrafuct View Post

Old 2012-12-25, 12:44pm
Unmedicated since '62

A trick o learned from my favourite beady teacher, make a small Maria on the end of your stringer, you get a bigger twist area for a different effect, it still snaps off and you just melt the little stub

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-25, 12:45pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
What Kim said....let the glass cool a bit...even blow on it and then snap the stringer off....another way to get a slightly different effect is to heat the end of the stringer just a bit and then press down on marver to form a little tiny Maria.....heat the spot on bead a d twist surface with Maria...cool and snap off....learned in a class...maybe Michael Barley....surely not my created process....
missed your post

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-26, 5:31pm

I like pulling out the end of a rod to stringer size. I learned that from Jennifer Geldard; it's part of her twisted heart technique. She calls that short rod with the narrow end a "twisting tool" and I like it better than just a stringer because the rod gives me a better grip.

Here's a link, scroll down to see the twisting tool: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/11899/229/page3.php

Nolly

Last edited by Nolly; 2012-12-26 at 5:39pm.