No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-25, 6:39pm
Marble Lover

Well, it's that time of year again.

I'm going to be attempting some more ornaments - blown on the pipe and some from tubing.

A re-thanks to all that posted and helped in this thread, I just re-read the whole thing in preparation.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-26, 7:34am
Marble Lover

The top part is wonky and way out of proportion size-wise but I'm happy with it overall - mainly because I didn't blow the side out or ruin it like normal.

I'm going to get some corks. I love how the ones you guys posted look with the corks in them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bepnewt; 2013-10-02 at 8:10am.
Old 2013-09-26, 4:47pm
Pincel de Fuego

omg I know it's never too early to start... in fact, I think we're late!!!

/
/
Old 2013-09-26, 7:18pm

I love, love doing these.. I have been doing them and giving them away.. They are really fun. Can't wait to see what everyone does. I will have to start taking pics. I was working on the biggest one ever and it was coming along nicely right up until I bumped into the kiln trying to put it in. So it will become shard now.. bummer.. sigh.. until the next time.
Old 2013-10-02, 8:10am
Marble Lover

I made another last night. I'm going to try to make a set like these and call them "Oil Spill."

Old 2013-10-03, 9:02am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
I made another last night. I'm going to try to make a set like these and call them "Oil Spill."

I like that Brian! I would dress that up with some kind of black feathers around the neck. It looks very southwestern to me.

Old 2013-10-03, 9:03am
Marble Lover

Thread-hogging here. I made this one last night. It collapsed on me twice so the colors got waaaay too mixed up. Like everything I do with glass, I need to get better control of the heat. I tend to overheat and have different heat through the piece instead of a good, even heat-base. Once I get that under control, all of my stuff will get better.

The Bravo is good at getting things hot. I'm not good at getting a wider flame with it just using the inner Alpha unless it's a real reducing flame. More TotT is what I need, for sure.

I'm not fond of all the blackness in it, although it does make it fit the "Oil Spill" name better.

Old 2013-10-03, 9:05am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I like that Brian! I would dress that up with some kind of black feathers around the neck. It looks very southwestern to me.
Thanks, MB. It definitely has that Native American Turquoise jewelry look.

I'll send some of the cats out to play and order them to harvest me some feathers!

-BEP
Old 2013-10-03, 9:22am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Brian, that one would be absolutely beautiful etched. That would also soften the black, but personally, I like the black.

Old 2013-10-03, 9:41am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaco View Post
Brian, that one would be absolutely beautiful etched. That would also soften the black, but personally, I like the black.
Thanks, Jamey Lynn.

The ones I'm currently making have pretty thick walls, but that's only because I'm scared to make them thinner until I get a better knack for the heat.

I like the idea of etching some. I've been looking at a tumbler for etching beads. Besides sandblasting, how would you etch an ornament like this?

-BEP
Old 2013-10-03, 6:01pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

I would use Dip n Etch liquid.

Old 2013-10-03, 6:41pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:

I love this!!!

/
/
Old 2013-10-04, 7:20am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaco View Post
I would use Dip n Etch liquid.
Seems like I'd need enough so that I could dip a whole ornament in it.

Which of your 3 sizes would I need so that I'd have enough to submerge the whole ball? Or maybe it can be "rolled" in the liquid in a shallower container. I guess I need to read on this stuff. I definitely have stuff I want to etch.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-04, 11:09am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabiLoraine View Post
I love this!!!
Thanks. Have you made any this year? The ones you made last year were very nice.

Post some pics in this ornament thread here for us to Ooooh and Aaaah over!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252995

-BEP
Old 2013-10-04, 11:14am
Marble Lover

I bought some corks at Hobby Lobby today at lunch for the balls. The smallest they had were "Size 2", which are a little too big for the balls I made. I either need smaller corks or I need to put more bead release on the mandrel to force a larger hole.

If anyone knows where to get smaller corks, I'm all ears.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-04, 11:58am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
I bought some corks at Hobby Lobby today at lunch for the balls. The smallest they had were "Size 2", which are a little too big for the balls I made. I either need smaller corks or I need to put more bead release on the mandrel to force a larger hole.

If anyone knows where to get smaller corks, I'm all ears.

-BEP
http://www.pilotvials.com

The size #00 is about right for things made on 1/4" mandrels.

Old 2013-10-04, 12:08pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
http://www.pilotvials.com

The size #00 is about right for things made on 1/4" mandrels.
Ordered. Thank you so much.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-04, 2:23pm

I never saw this thread last year, I'm glad it was brought back up. Nice job everyone.
Gaby, you had some nice ones last year.
Brian, yours look great.
I may have to play around with this, I already have the mandrels.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-04, 9:25pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Seems like I'd need enough so that I could dip a whole ornament in it.

Which of your 3 sizes would I need so that I'd have enough to submerge the whole ball? Or maybe it can be "rolled" in the liquid in a shallower container. I guess I need to read on this stuff. I definitely have stuff I want to etch.

-BEP
The smallest bottle does not have a huge amount of liquid in it. You would have to put the liquid into another container and continuously rotate the ornament, unless your ornaments are on the small side.

The large bottle is huge. So I would go with the medium bottle if your ornaments are decent sized.

Old 2013-10-05, 5:15am

I've reviewed everything in this thread and my remaining question seems to be what's a decent sized diameter for the bulbs? I can make hollows and vessels with no problems using the disc method but if I just blow a gather I get major issues with consistencies and roundness

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-10-05, 7:19am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
my remaining question seems to be what's a decent sized diameter for the bulbs?
I can do them to about 1 3/4" but then that is all I can get in the bead door
Old 2013-10-05, 8:49pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
I can do them to about 1 3/4" but then that is all I can get in the bead door
No comment!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2013-10-05, 9:36pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
No comment!
Gutter-mind-out!
Old 2013-10-07, 8:30am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
I've reviewed everything in this thread and my remaining question seems to be what's a decent sized diameter for the bulbs? I can make hollows and vessels with no problems using the disc method but if I just blow a gather I get major issues with consistencies and roundness
Duane,

Mine tend to be right around 2" in diameter. They would be bigger, but I'm not good enough to get consistent heat on the glass so any further blows out a side of the ornament. Even when I do it slowly so the heat can normalize.

Edit: If they were much bigger, I think the size of the ball would look too big for the nub where the cap goes on. If I wanted to make them over 3", I'd probably get some larger diameter mandrels.

-BEP
Old 2016-08-10, 7:29am
Marble Lover

It's time to resurface this thread! I made a small one the other day to get back into the swing of things.

Is anyone still making these on the torch?

Old 2016-08-10, 7:45am
ManBearPig

I make a bunch of them every year. I do them on 26mm tubing, and blow them out to about 2 - 2 1/2" diameter.

Old 2016-08-10, 8:27am

Cool! Love the color
Old 2016-08-10, 8:31am
Pincel de Fuego

Beautiful! Yeah I hate them. Hahaha They make me angry, anxious, etc.....

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk - ow ow

/
/
Old 2016-08-10, 8:52am
Lifelong Student

I like making them. I try to use up my shorts making these.
Attached Images

Old 2016-08-10, 9:10pm

Smile

Brian and Norma, both your ornaments are such great round shapes and pretty color. I tend to blow out the sides but I've only tried blowing shards not ornaments. Is the technique similar? Thanks. Lydia