No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-10, 9:34pm
LFCookie

Default Making mandrels

When you make your own mandrels, what are the specifics that I need to know when I go to the welding shop to ask for rod? Stainless steel and size, but is one welding rod better than the other?
Old 2009-03-10, 11:10pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCookie View Post
When you make your own mandrels, what are the specifics that I need to know when I go to the welding shop to ask for rod? Stainless steel and size, but is one welding rod better than the other?
Best is 316L stainless steel TIG rod, or 308L is good if they don't have it. You can ask for 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", and other sizes and they should know what you are talking about. I use 1/16", because I like the smaller holes, but 3/32" is good for beads that you may want to string on 2mm cords.
Old 2009-03-11, 2:18pm

I purchased welding rods on e-bay in a large pack. They are stainless steel and 316L and my husband cuts them for me as I need more to replace old ones. I tried to look for the link that I used but I can't seem to find it. You can do a search on e-bay for welding rods and you will find companies who have all sorts of different sizes and such to choose from.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2009-03-11, 2:46pm

3/16" or 1/4" if you plan to core your bead later.
Old 2009-03-11, 3:09pm
Detail G-Mama!

Get you some good ergonomic cutters too, you'll need to cut your own as they come 3ft long and most shops won't cut them for ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-11, 4:19pm

I cut mine with 12" bolt cutters from Harbor Freight. Under $6, adjustable and with replaceable jaws.

Steve

Old 2009-03-11, 5:11pm
LFCookie

Thanks everyone! Do you know what the difference is between 316L stainless steel vs ER347?
I bought 24 1/16 mandrels for $9.95 at a glass store (I thought it was VERY pricey but I was desperate) and bought the 316L from the welding shop, cut them, deburred them and ended up with 96 1/16 mandrels for about $20.00. I am just NOT sure about what they mean by 316L and ER347...
Old 2009-03-11, 5:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

ER347 is VERY corrosion resistant according to my googling.

One thing I will tell you, to make you not feel silly when you go in and ask, TIG rhymes with big - if you say it letter by letter, they will look at you funny.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-03-11, 5:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

oh and that price for the mandrels isn't terrible compared to others I have seen.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-03-11, 5:36pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

After I cut the mandrels, I file the ends with my bench grinder. I suppose a file would work too, but it would take longer. Be sure to make the ends round and clean so they don't irritate your hand when you are spinning the bead and so the bead will come off.

Also, there may be a crimped end, be sure to cut that part off and take into consideration the actual length you will end up with if you want them all the same length.

Last time I bought the welding rod, they were only selling the entire box. So be sure you know what size you really want if you end up in my situation.

Happy mandrel making.

Old 2009-03-11, 7:03pm
Gentleman of Leisure

ER347.....

http://www.weldingmaterialsales.com/...2009/ER347.htm

Be sure any wire/rods you order are for TIG welding. And wire/rods for MIG welding comes on spools and is not suitable for mandrels.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-03-11 at 7:10pm.
Old 2009-03-11, 7:47pm
LFCookie

Thanks all!