Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2006-10-10, 1:55am

Default A hollow tutorial please

We don't appear to have a hollow bead tutorial.
Would anyone be so kind and point me in the right direction please???Thanks Fiona

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-10, 4:46am
Viking Flame Keeper

There's a whole lot of good info in this thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18081

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-10, 10:51am
Beadmaking.nl

http://www.rejiquar.com/HowtoGlassBeads/2rounds.html

http://andiesglass.wetcanvas.com//andies_glass_013.htm
Old 2006-10-10, 5:20pm

Thanks !

Old 2008-02-04, 2:50pm
Wendy

I know this thread is old but figured I'd update the link to Andie's tutorial:

http://www.andiesglass.com/andies_glass_013.htm

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2008-02-04, 8:53pm
Smooches!

Thank you for updating the thread. I missed it the first time around!

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-02-04, 9:10pm
Wendy

I did a couple with that method tonight and am keeping my fingers crossed that they look as awesome when they come out of the kiln as they did when they went in. It's only my second attempt at them but I was really excited when I saw them form up tonight. Made my husband laugh.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2008-02-05, 12:33pm
Glass-aholic

I have a words only tut with final outcome pics on my website. Im not sure what kind of hollow you are lookin for.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-08, 5:56pm
Glass my new Obsession

CandyAnn has a Hollow ideo on youtube

Old 2008-02-08, 8:54pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I make hollows by winding two disks side by side - not too far apart or the final bead won't have puckers on the ends. When the disks are as big as I want I heat them gently and nudge them towards each other then seal them together by pinching the seam lightly with tweezers. Then I heat it slowly in the cooler part of the flame until it melts together and starts puffing up. As I do this, I look for any holes and patch them. I continue heating and turning until it is nicely shaped and then pop it in the kiln...
Old 2008-02-08, 8:59pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I want to add that stiffer glass - transparent especially - is easier to work with when making hollows! I've gotten to where I can make a pretty decent hollow with soft glass like dark silver plum but it's really difficult and they rarely come out nicely rounded. I personally love Caliente and Bullseye for hollows. Lauscha transparents are nice too.

This set was made with one of the Lauscha purples.

Old 2008-02-09, 1:07am
Glass-aholic

wow laurie!! I have a hard time blowing shards with DSP!!! Nevermind create holows with it! Those beads are to die for!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-09, 9:48am
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
wow laurie!! I have a hard time blowing shards with DSP!!! Nevermind create holows with it! Those beads are to die for!
Thank you Jaci!!! I like working on all sorts of beads but I always come back to hollows. I've been hooked on them ever since I made my first one!
Old 2012-12-02, 12:10am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Here's one I came across that looks easy to understand, lots of pics and good directions.
Isin Glass Design

Going to give 'er a go tomorrow. If they don't turn out too horrible, I'll post a few pics.

Old 2012-12-02, 12:57am

Laurie Nessel has a great one. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page and its called blow hose assembly tutorial. I learnt how to make hollow beads using this tut.
http://www.laurienessel.com/News.htm
Old 2012-12-04, 11:16am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Perhaps you would like to try my Hollow bead technique ...

This is the basic technique for my hollows:

And then I have an additional technique

Both in my Etsy shop

More to follow hopefully

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!

Last edited by Astrid Riedel; 2012-12-04 at 11:23am.
Old 2012-12-05, 3:42pm

There are lots of good options mentioned here, I will add my two books, maybe you even have one and just forgot about this chapter! Glass Bead Workshop and Making Glass Beads each have ten tutorials and one in each book is about making hollow beads with the Puffy Mandrel (my DH makes them!). There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat! Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2012-12-06, 12:54am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Here's the best one of the batch that i made yesterday. It's pretty large, too, about the size of a peach pit.

I used the "make 2 beds and build them u p into discs then seal with 1 wrap of glass" method.

Old 2012-12-06, 5:57am
Glass-aholic

That bead looks great!