LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-28, 8:46pm

Default painting on beads

Does anyone do this and if so what paints do you use?

I am interested but having a tough time finding anything that will stay on the glass and still look good.

Thanks

Cherri
Old 2013-08-28, 8:48pm
Loving learning

Cherri, do you mean the paints that fire on?
Old 2013-08-29, 5:47am

HI Eileen. Well yes and no.. I am looking for something other than the products one can purchase at Michaels. So a product that can be applied to glass and stay either by curing or curing at a low temp. I have seen some glass people paint their products with something (?) instead of using colored boro.. I am not wanting to do this, but is a question I would like answered if possible. At the time that I saw this being done, they painted (stained) the item allowed it to dry and gave it to the customer. Couriosty did the cat in and the answer got him back (LOL changed to protect sensitivities).
Cherri
Old 2013-08-29, 7:11am
Shelarious

I etch soft glass, and paint it with oils. I really like the effect, it glows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-29, 7:18am
all for the love of glass

wow Shelley..do you have pics?

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2013-08-29, 10:34am
Artistically Absorbed

What kind of painting do you want to do? Different ones are better for different applications. Some of them are better for fusing while others seem to work well with flamework. Also surface application vs. encased also makes a difference. I have some experience with glass painting, not an expert per say. But could give you some direction maybe.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-08-29, 11:32am

You can paint a finished bead with vitreous enamel and then fire it in the torch. You have to keep the bead on the mandrel, paint it, let it dry, reheat in the kiln and then fire quickly in the torch flame. it's a slow process but can give great results with practice. I also sandblast and then color with artist oil paints. It's a very different effect from the enamel but is pretty cool. It really depends on ehat end product you are going for.

Robert
Old 2013-09-03, 12:35pm

I've tried oil paints on etched glass but I can't seem to get any interesting results. How do you get the pearly look ? Maybe I used too much paint.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-09-03, 1:29pm

Looking for use in flame work... encased ok.. waiting for Mr. Simmons and one other to reply.
thanks.. Hope to see more replies.
Cherri
Old 2013-09-04, 7:24am
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamemoth View Post
wow shelley..do you have pics?
Not the best photos, look better in person:

Give it a shot. I use clear as the base of course, etch with Etch-All, and use small amounts of oil paints. It kind of stains the glass, and takes several days to dry. Those pics are from years ago and the pieces still look just as they did then.

Old 2013-09-04, 11:46am

OH so pretty...
Thank you for showing them.
Old 2013-09-05, 6:55am

Thanks Shelly, I must have been using too much paint. Lovely work !

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-09-05, 6:34pm
Wyoming Silvers

Nice!

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-09-07, 2:09pm
"Twirl that Honey round".

There are paints that are low fire(home oven) that will work, they have been on my list to try. Made by Pebeo, two lines, Porcelaine 150 and Vitrea 160. Available at DickBlick.com. Artistically paintable is what you were thinking of right?
Old 2013-09-08, 2:05pm
Artistically Absorbed

very cool technique, I'll have to try that! Cherri I sent you a PM.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-10-18, 1:33pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I have a similar question and have been wanting to try these pens:
http://www.fusionheadquarters.com/product_p/pennin.htm

Anyone have experience using them?

Old 2013-10-20, 10:43am

These look like the Thompson Enamels pens. I have them and they are ok to use if you don't want too much details. But they are true enamels and need to be fired highg, I usually do it in the flame. Some colors work better than others, I use the black most. I've never been able to get any result from the white, it just burns off in the flame.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop

Tags
painting