No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-23, 9:16am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Default Black back coat dichroic

So...I got this about 10 yrs ago....have never figured out how or if it can be used at torch. Bes I can come up with is to gently heat then try to apply clear to the dichro surface.....and deal with the breaks and frit.....OR snip the length to be used....place coated side up on marver....heal large enough clear gather to cover and pick up under the clear.

These are stabs in the dark....any suggestions appreciated. I am not a fuse set up so .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-10-23, 9:48am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
So...I got this about 10 yrs ago....have never figured out how or if it can be used at torch. Bes I can come up with is to gently heat then try to apply clear to the dichro surface.....and deal with the breaks and frit.....OR snip the length to be used....place coated side up on marver....heal large enough clear gather to cover and pick up under the clear.

These are stabs in the dark....any suggestions appreciated. I am not a fuse set up so .....
Basically, you use it the same as clear dichro. The good thing is you can tell which side is coated.

Cut into strips, heat one end (from the back) and attach to a clear (or black) rod to use as a handle. Apply to your bead as you normally would, but heat only the back. (you want it soft enough to move easily, but not drippy). Once it is applied, encase. Again, be careful not to hit the coating with the flame.

(It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-10-23, 10:04am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

So...Shawnette....in my mind, it sounds like the dichro will "show through" the transparent black back?????? And I must say BRILLIANT! Never heard or thought of adding handle to dichro....duhhhh! Thanks!

Old 2014-10-23, 10:48am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
So...Shawnette....in my mind, it sounds like the dichro will "show through" the transparent black back?????? And I must say BRILLIANT! Never heard or thought of adding handle to dichro....duhhhh! Thanks!
No, you lay the black side down with the dichro side up, then cover the dichro side with clear. You heat the black side, not the dichro side, or it will burn off.

Old 2014-10-23, 10:50am
I fart diamonds

You could also add the handle, warm up the dichro from the back and swipe on some clear. Then you can pull it into dichro stringer.

Old 2014-10-23, 11:38am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Ohhhhhh....now I got it!

Old 2014-10-23, 11:39am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Thanks, Shawnette ! You are awesome!

Old 2014-10-23, 3:41pm

Default black backed dicro

HI, I had some 1/4" black back dicro sitting on my desk forever and made a tiny base and encased it and it's gorgeous!!! you can also slightly etch it and make a nugget shape, I sell a lot of those.

if you make any dark based beads, add a small piece and put clear on it and it pops the background!
Old 2014-10-23, 9:42pm

I've been wanting to buy some black dichro for torching.
I've been fusing clear dichro to thin clear and that works well for me.

black dichro fused to clear would eliminate having to make a black base bead first.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-10-24, 4:02pm
Artistically Absorbed

I still struggle with applying the black, it always has a tiny gap of just black where the edges meet which I hate! Does anyone have any tips to avoid that? I have used tweezers to pinch it but it leaves a little dip under encasement in that spot, which I'm not keen on either.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64