LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-04-09, 11:44am

Default Ooh noo another ventilation ??...but ....

Happy Friday!
Working out side has been great but limiting with the weather...darn rain.
Time to move the studio along a little bit. I need a little help on what exactly to do re: cfm. My situation is somewhat unique as this is somewhat of a temporary (1 Yr or so) situation as we are planning to knock down our house and rebuild it. At that time I am planning on having a really nice area to work with gas piped in etc. I am trying to plan wise now with purchases so I can reuse things instead of reinvesting. The new room will be larger and have a great (planned) source of make up air so I know larger fan will work when that time comes.
My issue is now. I think too large of a fan will cause a make up air issue.
(see photo). Currently I can vent out the wall where that large picture is. There would only be one bend and almost no length of vent hose. Above me is a drop ceiling also though I am not sure how much weight it would support. I think attaching to the wall vs hanging the hood might be a better idea. Not sure how high my table will end up but that is as high as it goes. Ceiling is less than 8 ft ~ ceiling to table top is 4 ft.
The room is 10 x 12. The window shown is the only one in the room. It opens and I have a fan that can also push air out. Window would be open as I plan to have my hose for the propane outside feed through the window.
My back up air source is the door to the room (where photo was taken from)
I have a large box fan to draw air in. Across the hall is a bedroom with 2 large windows I can open to help "feed the fan". House is small with tons of other windows I can open. We live on the water and have kick ass breezes all of the time in the summer....but the winter is an issue as my source would only be other air in the house....could crack the bedroom windows too. (heat vent is also below table bringing air in not sure that helps)
Looking for suggestions. I had thought of a oven hood type vent from Grainer but the cfm is only 360 which seems light. What would be good for now with a little room to grow into a larger space?
I do know someone who works in HVAC who could build me a hood with a cage fan and sheet metal.
I would just need to give him some detailed diagrams / examples...and most likely a link to this tread.
I will add that currently I am on a HH (small containers until vent is in) but have a mini cc that I hope to get hooked up this year once I save up for an oxycon.
Feel free to address any other issues you see. I want to be safe in all areas as I am totally afraid of fire . I am also very sensitive to fumes and do not want headaches...plus I have a bird I do not want to hurt either...nor hubby or the dog.
Area's I need to address that I know of are : cover rest of table with tile..AND...that can is empty waiting to go to the garbage. I keep it in the garage normally)
cover carpet with roofing sheet metal, remove / take down curtain while I work. Protect back wall (tho table is very wide) with Flame Protector heat shield (Home depot plumbing supply area). When working move fire extinguisher to area behind me.
Thanks everyone in advance ~ I know this is often asked ~ and sorry this is so long. Lisa
Attached Images

Last edited by lisabk; 2010-04-09 at 11:46am.
Old 2010-04-09, 12:33pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Instead of wall mount hood or ceiling suspended hood.... Why not a fume hood that sits on bench top..... Has opening about 30 inches wide maybe 24 inches tall maybe 24 inches deep..... That would be about an opening of 720 sq inches, or 5 square feet... it would require a fan of about 650-700 cfm.....

IF you are worried about closed in feel, sides could be clear tempered glass or polycarbonate or lexan clear sheet.....

you problem is not unique nor your needs unique, there must be dozens of system shown in Studio and Safety forums very similar to your needs.... As for make up air, any door window to outside is probably sufficient, only real requirement there is that the fresh air intake should be at least 10 feet from where hood exhaust duct ends to allow for proper dilution of exhaust gases...

If a hood is not to your liking the newer concept is a pure duct/funnel system.... Something using about 6 inch duct with a funnel opening of about 10 inches and a 400-500 cfm fan powering system.... Requirements for make up air here are same and with "hood", intake air needs to be separated from exhaust by at least 10 feet....

This may be something to consider....

If you have no qualms about holes in wall, just punch another hole on under bench and bring make up air from outside through bench top and it eliminates open doors or windows and does not sacrifice most of the heated or cooled air in studio space while ventilation is running....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-04-09 at 12:37pm.
Old 2010-04-09, 12:45pm
just another tool fool...

Dale,

This is a really interesting hood design...where would one find such a thing? Thanks in advance!

Click banner for my Etsy:

Old 2010-04-09, 1:02pm

Thanks Dale...I was hoping to hear from you on this. I think anything sitting on the bench top will sort of drive me crazy which is why I was leaning toward something on the wall above me with "sides" that extend out.
I will check the safety section again also.
The photo you show...am I correct that is the 2nd system you mention? Don't want to assume.
Thanks.
Old 2010-04-09, 1:12pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimzicalities View Post
Dale,

This is a really interesting hood design...where would one find such a thing? Thanks in advance!
It was designed by the same person the created the Creation Station.... However it is not in production and is not available (long back story I will not go into)... However I'm sure if you were creative you could fabricate something very similar for your ventilation needs..... It was actually part of a ventilation design article that was written several years ago and appeared in "the flow" magazine (I believe)... There is other references to this hood design in the Safety Forum here.....

So much has been written in safety forum about ventilation it sort of demands one does a serious perusal of that forum....

Dale

Old 2010-04-09, 1:16pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabk View Post
Thanks Dale...I was hoping to hear from you on this. I think anything sitting on the bench top will sort of drive me crazy which is why I was leaning toward something on the wall above me with "sides" that extend out.
I will check the safety section again also.
The photo you show...am I correct that is the 2nd system you mention? Don't want to assume.
Thanks.
Yes the second system (pictured) is what I would consider a "funnel & duct" system....

There is also a few range hood that operate in the 600-700 cfm range that could be adapted to lampwork studio use.... More on this later when I have time to chase down web sites with hoods that may be acceptable....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-04-09 at 2:54pm.
Old 2010-04-09, 1:57pm

Dale...you are a dear!
Old 2010-04-09, 2:55pm

Dale, Thanks for all you contribute. I'm trying to figure out best option for venting a well. I really like that funnel vent and am going to see about one fabricated. Wish the designer did have them for purchase.