LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2018-01-31, 10:01am

Default Hunting a tutorial

Hi,
Does anyone have the Flurry Bead tutorial by Laura Sparling please? It's an anemone implosion bead.

The tute was free on her site originally, but I've contacted her and it's now unavailable, along with all her other free and paid-for PDF's. She didn't say why.

Thanks all.
Old 2018-01-31, 4:56pm
Fried Cat

It isn’t free but most every implosion that I’ve been taught in one class or another is covered in Sherry Bellamy’s Unlocking Secrets of Implosions. Well worth it.
Old 2018-02-01, 12:10pm

You might find this helpful also

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4608
Old 2018-03-01, 6:15am

A huge Thank You to the very kind folks who offered and have sent me this tutorial. I'm not quite up to that standard yet, but am hopeful!
Old 2018-03-18, 12:27pm

I am interested in this tutorial as well, I wonder if someone would mind forwarding it to me ? Thanks in advance !
Old 2018-09-14, 6:58pm
Wyoming Silvers

I am also very interested! If anyone had it, it would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2018-10-23, 8:09pm

Here's a link to Laura's post on facebook saying her tutorials are being offered for free....maybe contact her on fb and request it?

https://www.facebook.com/beadsbylaur...4054707778133/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2018-10-23, 8:38pm
Loving learning

Thanks! I am curious as to what a flurry bead is, so I just put a comment asking if they were available anywhere.
Old 2020-09-16, 4:30pm

can someone send me the link as well? PLEASE! I can do implosions off mandrel - but I like the anemone look like Laura S. I contacted her as well - and she won't even sell any of her tutorials. No explanations.
Old 2020-09-17, 5:41am

Hi--Laura has mentioned in her blog a couple of times, reasons behind removing her tutorials. You can read about her recent decision regarding the matter here:

https://laurasparling.blogspot.com/2...is-enough.html
Old 2024-02-13, 12:36am

I see that several of Laura's tutorials, including the flurry one, are now for sale on Etsy .. very reasonable cost!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/beadsby...on_id=44224540
Old 2024-02-13, 10:32pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks Yonil, I hadn't seen that exact post. She was always so forthcoming. She is inspiring with her combos. I need to start thinking like that. I always just use white or black for most things. Sometimes turquoise or copper green. The ends of her encased beads are always so neat, I need to still work on that. She uses a tool.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2024-02-13 at 10:40pm.
Old 2024-02-14, 4:49pm
It's all about the color.

She has started selling that one again on Etsy. I know because I just bought it. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1535937...tutorial-for-a

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2024-02-14, 8:50pm
Loving learning

Kay, me too! And another one that I probably know how to do, but they were very reasonable so I grabbed it while I was there.
Old 2024-02-16, 9:09am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonil View Post
Hi--Laura has mentioned in her blog a couple of times, reasons behind removing her tutorials. You can read about her recent decision regarding the matter here:

https://laurasparling.blogspot.com/2...is-enough.html
I'm kind of on the fence with this sort of thing, when you make a tutorial or a how to video, you are showing other people how YOU make something. Once you put that out into the universe, man it's out there, and people are going to take it and run with it whether you are ok with it or not. With the internet being what it is, it will spread like a wild fire now.

If you figure something out, completely on your own, I would absolutely keep it to yourself or you are going to lose it. If you make some money selling a tutorial that's awesome, but the first person that buys it is going to be making that stuff, and they are going to be showing it to people and they may even make their own tutorials or sell that work as their own. Morally, hell yeah it's cringey, legally, unless you went through the GOD AWFUL and EXPENSIVE process of getting a design patent, or your customers have signed a NDA, there's not much you can do about it.

Yeah it sucks big time, but if you learn a technique or come up with a design that is all your own, don't tell a damned soul how you do it. I don't know of a single human being who has ever kept a secret successfully maybe with the exception of Edward Leedskalnin. Glassblowing and Lampworking was one of the most secretive trades in the world, you took oaths and vows and lived on an island way back when... there are no secrets anymore, only the practice of secrecy, and selling tutorials or publishing how to information is not really a great form of it.

I know this will ruffle some feathers, and I know personally how frustrating it is to see something you came up with being put out by other people, but none of us have taken blood oaths or been sequestered on a forbidden Island to learn this stuff either. The printing press put an end to a lot of esoterics. I'd be willing to bet every single one of us has a 'How to make a ......' somewhere in our Internet History though and I don't know of any glass artist who can say they are entirely 100% self-taught.

For god's sake, don't tell people how you make something if you don't want people making it, you have no control over what they do with that information and expecting people to follow your moral compass is an antithesis of human nature. Theft is as old as personal property is, intellectual or otherwise. Lock your doors and keep your secrets or somebody is eventually going to run off with something of yours. No it's not 'right', but neither is expecting other human beings to live up to your expectations either because some people suck for sure.

I told my wife the other day, when I pass away, she is going to publish a how to on my minis. Not sure where or how, I've actually put a lot of thought into putting it here on Lampwork Etc. or maybe give my tools to CMOG, but I've decided to give that to the world... when I'm gone. Until then, there's maybe five people in the world that I've trusted with that information and it shocks me that they've managed to keep a lid on it so far. Sorry about the novel of a post here, but this is something that for me in particular is kind of a legacy.

Old 2024-02-16, 12:42pm

So in Laura's case, she was always very generous with her knowledge and techniques and color combos. Very few people can actually execute things with the same level of technical excellence, especially in such a consistent way. Her complaint was that people had started being demanding, entitled, and ungrateful. Her tutorials used to be free. And people took advantage.
Old 2024-02-16, 1:52pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
So in Laura's case, she was always very generous with her knowledge and techniques and color combos. Very few people can actually execute things with the same level of technical excellence, especially in such a consistent way. Her complaint was that people had started being demanding, entitled, and ungrateful. Her tutorials used to be free. And people took advantage.
Oh I'm sure they did, like I said, some people really do suck. I remember one time I gave this old WWII Vet a marble at the flea market and the lady that was standing behind him literally threatened to sue me if I didn't give her one as well.

Another time, I helped a guy deliver food packages to home bound elderly folks for a while there, and most of them were grateful but you'd be surprised how many of them would get upset if it wasn't a particular brand or if they thought someone else had gotten something they hadn't.

Check out one of your local food pantries, there's always some of those types there and they aren't hard to spot, usually in a newer car and the trunk is full of food from all the other pantries they've 'hit'. It's a shame, but giving anything away for free seems to attract them like gnats and what starts out as a charity becomes a bottomless pit you will never fill.