Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-03-21, 5:42pm

Default Bead Release Issues

I'm sure my goals are the same as everyone else's here, but I need advice on a good bead release. I'm using Fusion at the moment and it's the only one I've used since getting out my entirely hard jars (granted, they're from 7 years ago) of numerous varieties. I had one or 2 batches of beads come off really easily and several others not. After soaking in water, I'm having to use vice grips and rubber gloves and I've nearly given up on a few. Of course getting them off the mandrels (thus the name bead release) is most important. I'd say not having it peel away and break is the second priority. Since I'm just getting back at this after years I'm still working beads a little long and probably hot. I have dreams of the bead release melting away and the bead being able to be pulled right off. All that being said, does anyone have any suggestions for me? What do you all use?
Old 2018-03-22, 5:43am
Fried Cat

I love, Love, Love Krag mud from Kitteral Glass Gallery and studio.
Old 2018-03-22, 8:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
I love, Love, Love Krag mud from Kitteral Glass Gallery and studio.
I agree. And it's super easy to clean out of bead holes!
Old 2018-03-22, 9:32am

I use my tumbler with a few marbles in the jar to mix bead release adding a little water and everything ends up well mixed in a few hours.

Some tap water can cause issues with the bead release over time.
I think it has to do with minerals present or the chemicals used to treat the water.

If the release is going on to thin try a double dip. often a second coat can make a difference.
A trick that can help is putting the stuck beads in the freezer or using a pop rivet tool and a piece of gasket or leather to remove the bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-03-23, 12:42am
Slogan Challenged...

I use a mix of Blue Sludge and Alices. Alice's bead release is a powder (and smells so good). One or two lbs will last a long time!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-03-23, 8:06am
Phill

"Softened" water that uses salt in a system to make the water tolerable for home use will ruin bead release.

I use a reverse osmosis filtered water system at home or 'distilled' water water from the store.
As for bead release brands I like Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff.
Old 2018-03-23, 10:49pm
Naysayer

I use fusion for the very reason that you are looking for! It's so easy to remove beads. So, I will ask, are your mandrels old? I do have the hardest time removing beads from old mandrels. I start to notice they're getting hard to remove and I toss it or flip it. Figure we make beads in the same spot often and that starts to wear away.

You mentioned the release breaking too? That's another thing I don't have with fusion unless it's just too watered down.

In the old days when I used bucket of mudd I would throw some vinegar into the cup they were sitting in waiting for removal and that helped break it down, but again, if the mandrels were 'done' they would get stuck no matter.
Old 2019-03-13, 4:56am

Default Bead Release

Hi. I'm a newbie here. Just started making beads and everything is brand new. I've only been able to get 2 of my beads off the rods since yesterday. I've been soaking them since yesterday and woke up with hopes of beads being soaked off and sitting at the bottom of the jar...NOPE still stuck. I buy everything from Devardi Glass which is very nice. But I want to become a serious bead supplier and need my beads to come off in one piece. HELP!!!!Please
Ressee
Old 2019-03-13, 8:54am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Sometimes you need to deburr the mandrels. I find a Brillo pad or a green kitchen scratcher will help.
I've used fusion for 15 years and never found the need to change

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague