Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-21, 6:36am
boro color bender

Arrow Schott Artistic...

Does not play well with silver colors in implosions...

The silver leaches into the clear and it gets all foggy... not a pretty foggy either. Looks like a thin coating of mold...

I like Simax so much better... that is all....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-11-21, 9:04pm

Yep, what he said!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-11-21, 9:23pm
He can do the origami

Yep,
What she said he said...said.

Otter
Old 2009-11-21, 10:01pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Yep,
What she said he said...said.

Otter
Old 2009-11-22, 11:19am
Hummel factory reject

Word.

Old 2009-11-22, 2:13pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Thanks for posting this Brent was thinking of buying a case or two to try...

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-23, 6:34am
boro color bender

If you're using WYSIWYG colors, it's fine.... silver leaches into it really weird... gets cloudy... makes a silver glass guy scratch his head, but I finally got the clue that it's definitely the clear after two encounters with the same issue. Just glad I could warn the silver glass users... maybe avoid some head aches...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-11-23, 6:45am

OK, call me stupid if you have to, but what exactly is silver glass?

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-23, 7:21am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
OK, call me stupid if you have to, but what exactly is silver glass?

Greg
It's any glass that uses pure silver as a reactive colorant. Eg. DAP, Silver Creek, etc.

Old 2009-11-23, 10:32am
Pyromaniac

I have used Simax almost exclusively and love it still, but I ordered some Pyrex recently and really like the way it reacts with the silver colors to create blue wisps and that halo effect.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-11-24, 8:22pm

Default yucky schott artistic?

it would be most interesting to see a photo or two of this effect?
Old 2009-11-24, 8:42pm

Thanks Jamie, I figured it must be something like that.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-24, 9:00pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrautman View Post
it would be most interesting to see a photo or two of this effect?
Here's a pic of the same color with 4 different types of clear.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143134

Old 2009-11-25, 4:09am
product of the universe

isn't blue moon a color that if you breathe to deeply or look at it the wrong way while working it causes the color to change regardless if all the pieces were made in the same atmosphere? I mean that's a lot of silver. I'd like to see this test done with multiple colors to give a good consensus. One test with a wild varying silver color may not be the best control.I'm not saying that the test isn't good, i just think that there are a lot of factors that go on and to draw a conclusion with absolute certainty based on one test isn't very practical.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-25, 7:35am
ManBearPig

Well, if someone would like to donate some glass to me, I'd be glad to do such a test.

But, for me, Blue Moon has always been pretty predictable.

Old 2009-11-25, 9:28am
funny mofo

Blue Moon is one of the colors I never have a problem with unless I specifically do something like use a flame with no oxy just to see what will happen. And my skill is nowhere near my enthusiasm -- if I can usually make it work, it's probably an easy color. You may be thinking of a different color?
Old 2009-11-25, 7:17pm
boro color bender

Paul, I would, but i give my demo pieces away... let me see what I can do... will try to post pics of how it fuzzes out...

Old 2009-11-25, 9:45pm
He can do the origami

Brent, I will look through my pics to see if I got a good pic also.

Otter
Old 2009-11-25, 10:42pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I have a piece from your last class Brent. I will be happy to take a picture of and post in the next couple of days if you want me to. It will show the effect your talking about.

Since I also own some Schott Artistic and Simax I will also do some of my own testing. At the same time, same torch settings, same chemistry this weekend. Sorry I only have these two boro clears in right now.

Old 2009-11-27, 9:33pm

here's a couple of implosion mibs made using schott with silver fume/cobalt blue (left) and amber purple, onyx (right). sorry to those with limited bandwidth but this image is rather large

Old 2009-11-27, 10:07pm
Flamewoman

I noticed some problems years ago with (the case I bought ) of Schott.
Some of my favorite beads are base of Ruby strike 4 with green exotic frit then clear.
When I clear coat them with schott I just get a really ho hum green blobs in a bead type of bead. When encased with simax the result is very dramatic, and one of my favorite beads.
So I have a case of punty's.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-11-29, 7:26am

schott gets a bad rap. i know at least 10-15 blowers who use it exclusively(including some of the biggest names in the industry).

the silver colors look better on the outside of schott than any other brand imo. the inside encasement issues are a learning curve. the four brand comparison has too many variables(torch chemistry, tanked or concentrator, user error, torch and gas pressure settings)

northstar uses schott, simax and kimble for cullet so schott can't be all bad.
Old 2009-11-29, 9:52am
Hummel factory reject

The only thing I don't like Schott for is implosions. Use it exclusively for everything else. Very buttery and smooth melting clear.

Old 2009-11-30, 5:48am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarchwinds View Post
schott gets a bad rap. i know at least 10-15 blowers who use it exclusively(including some of the biggest names in the industry).

the silver colors look better on the outside of schott than any other brand imo. the inside encasement issues are a learning curve. the four brand comparison has too many variables(torch chemistry, tanked or concentrator, user error, torch and gas pressure settings)

northstar uses schott, simax and kimble for cullet so schott can't be all bad.
Schott isn't all bad... for some applications, it may work just fine... for implosions with silver colors, it sucks... plain and simple, it doesn't do what I need it to do... the silver leaches into the glass in a weird fashion... might look great under a silver color if you're applying it to the outside.... but for what i teach, it sucks bad... Simax is much better for what i need...

and I'm not sure regular Schott ever gave me this issue... Schott Artistic is different... I'll try to nail that question down with some experimentation...

Old 2009-12-07, 8:06pm
Lampworker

from what i hear its a very slight difference in the chemical composition

schott duran
SiO2 B2O3 Na2O + K2O Al203
81% 13% 4% 2%
http://www.us.schott.com/labware/eng...ies/index.html

Simax
SiO2 B2O3 Al2O3 Na2O + K2O
80.4% 13% 2.4% 4.2%
http://www.pegasus-glass.com/simax.asp

as you can see the differences in the sodium oxide + potassium oxide differs by 0.2% which is enough to give a different effect on silver colors.

i found this out the hard way, and tried to supsitute schott for simax, then we had a world of difference with BM, aurora, AP, exotic red, blue carmel, and other silver colors.

yea some people love it. try mixing stringer of NS exlt yellow with schott and you will get some nice irridecent blues. some colors look like they are glowing. i see lots of art with this effect and was wondering how come my colors dont come out like that....its all in the clear...Abe, Paul and i were talking about this at the Flame off this year.

pick your clear and stick with it if you want consistancy.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=4855591
here is another interesting read on the invention of borosillicate glass in 1880 i found while looking for those formulas.

and another intersting read on all the different types of borosilicate that schott makes,
http://www.us.schott.com/english/dow...s_guide_us.pdf

Last edited by oldschooltofu; 2009-12-07 at 8:17pm.
Old 2009-12-08, 1:50am

great post tofu. personally i've never had an issue with schott artistic, i don't do too many implosions anymore but when i do they look amazing. plus i've had cracking issues with simax, i find greater stability when working solid schott.
Old 2009-12-08, 2:56am
He can do the origami

Great post Tofu, thanks for the information.

I was Brent's T.A. at a class in Portland when the issue started showing up. In fact it was funny because he was not getting the results he normally got with his silver glass implosions. He was puzzled but knew something was different about the way the clear was acting. Only later did we find out they had changed clears to Schott Artistic and had not told him.

When I got home I went to Schott's website and looked at all their different products. I sent an email asking for the specs specifically for Schott ARTISTIC but have not heard back from them yet.

We did side by side comparisons with implosions done with Simax and with Schott Artistic... there was an amazing difference.

Thank you for posting the specs.

Otter
Old 2009-12-09, 4:34am
boro color bender

I'd be really interested in finding out if there's a difference between Schott and Schott Artistic... I've used the original Schott clear before and never got this weird result... I suspect they are producing this in another plant or having it made and slapping their name on it.

Like Otter said, this studio I was teaching at had switched from Simax, without telling me... I have encountered this with Schott Artistic before, but when it happened on what i thought was Simax, I was seriously scratching my head... then it dawned on me to ask if they had switched clear... I was so relieved when they said "Yeah, now we use Schott Artistic"... with all the variables we already face using silver colors, I just wanted folks to know there is a difference in the clears as well.

I'll stick with Simax for most of what I do... it plays well with the colors I like...

Thanks for adding to the discussion and posting the formulas... neat stuff...

Old 2009-12-09, 9:30am

There was quite a bit of discussion here regarding opinions on SBA, including some posts on SBA and Duran.