Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-14, 7:37am

You need to observe the four P's of glassblowing here: practice, practice, patience and more practice; 2.5 goes aren't nearly enough ... this is a fairly involved technique, so don't expect them to be great straight off, but it will come to you! To tell you the truth, I'm still discovering nuances about this technique. In the spirit of saving you some glass, and you are probably doing this anyway, I'd suggest just doing the irises and worrying about the rest once you're happy with them, I'd love to see your results so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-05-14, 9:42am
Gay rights R human rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
some eye candy
I love the iris renditions in your eyes. Do you have a tutorial for them? If not, pretty please?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2010-05-14, 9:59am

yup yup, right here
There's a better edition of it coming up in The Flow

for reasons I don't want to talk about right now, I can't use my studio atm, so I've been playing around with bits of glass that I could salvage and utilising them in mixed media objects.

Steampunk Bio-mechanical cameras
Attached Images

Running a

Last edited by wickedglass; 2010-05-14 at 10:12am.
Old 2010-05-14, 4:36pm
Borovangelist

Those are cool! Copper clay?

|
|
Old 2010-05-14, 5:00pm
Hummel factory reject

So friggin' cool Wickedglass.

Old 2010-05-16, 8:07am

thanks for the kind words, I'm chomping at the bit to get back at the glass, but in the meantime these will have to keep me occupied. I'm no practiced hand at getting paint effects, so the next couple I do will be sent off to a friend of mine who's been a model maker forever to get painted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Those are cool! Copper clay?
close, polymer clay and paint.

here's a couple more. I found a cheap but badly scratched pocket watch at a fleamarket today. The first one is a Static Circumspector and the second one a Pocked Circumspector.
They watch and make alarums ... I know ... a bit creepy ... I'm going slightly nuts from not being able to blow glass ... gods know when that will be.
Attached Images

Running a
Old 2010-05-16, 11:39am
Borosapien

OMG the cameras and watches are awesome!!! very inspirational

Old 2010-05-16, 6:51pm
Borovangelist

love the watches!!

|
|
Old 2010-05-16, 8:31pm
Torchaholic ;)

Wicked the eyes are sweet. Is it the next Flow that your tutorial is in? I get that magazine so hope to see it, Ill be lookin!! Menty Your chess set is really cool. Ive been think about making one for a couple of months. Here are some new turtles, dichro and a flower pendent.
Attached Images

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-05-17, 7:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjr4484 View Post
Wicked the eyes are sweet. Is it the next Flow that your tutorial is in?
Thanks heaps, it'll either be in the spring or summer edition, and they're already asking for another tute. Those turtles sure are cute!

Running a
Old 2010-05-19, 1:34am

I've been lurking here for months admiring all the amazing work, thought maybe it was time I stopped hiding and added something of my own.
These are a couple of my recent dragons:

Old 2010-05-19, 2:02am

months? I'm glad you finally stopped lurking then, those dragon heads are way cool!

Running a
Old 2010-05-19, 7:58am
Pyromaniac

Very nice and welcome Emma!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-05-19, 7:59am
torch monkey 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by garishglobes View Post
I've been lurking here for months admiring all the amazing work, thought maybe it was time I stopped hiding and added something of my own.

Oh Emma! Glad you're here at LE! You've been on my favorites on Etsy for a long while! I love your work.

Old 2010-05-19, 9:05am

Oh....thank you so much!

There's so much fantastic stuff and great knowledge on here.

I know, months...its embarrassing.... will try to keep up now!

Old 2010-05-20, 9:11pm

Set up for my first farmers market. Here are some of my goodies. Hope this picture thing works. It has only taken me 3 hours to figure this out.
Attached Images

Old 2010-05-21, 4:03am
Boro Brat

Chris, your eyes keep pushing me to try new things to make mine better. Awesome.

I have also been finding them impossible to keep out of mixed media work. I have one hiding in this piece too...only the figure here is actual glass...the rest it a crappy digital rendition of what I'm planning to do with it. I just started the painting yesterday! Off to do more this morning!! Woohooo!!

Old 2010-05-21, 11:07am

Very cool Pipyr! Is the figure all one piece? How big?

It kind of reminds me of an artifact from a pre-columbian civilization, or maybe one of those spooky Indonesian puppets. Regardless, it is a really neat piece.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-21, 11:18am
Boro Brat

Thanks a bunch, Eric! The figure is many pieces, broken up into sections so that it is less "heavy" (visually) on the canvas. It also allows me to adjust the piece and make more spontaneous decisions once it is on the panel, which keeps the piece more fresh and real, imho.

The panel itself is 16x20. Enormous for me. I ran out of wax today while I worked on it and had to go home to make more medium I took some WIP pics of the actual panel and I'm planning on putting them up on my blog later.

Old 2010-05-21, 11:38am

Wow, that is pretty big!

I finally saw some eucastic pieces close up at an art show I did recently, and I am doubly impressed by your work now. There is a glow to that kind of work that you need to see in person to really appreciate.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-21, 9:42pm
Life is good

OK, I'm gonna venture out into the big kids world. Just had a few new new pendants. Mostly from Cosmo and Brent's tutorials. You guys are amazing. Very nice work everyone.
Attached Images

Old 2010-05-21, 10:46pm
Borovangelist

I love the top two, Dave Looks like fire and ice.

|
|
Old 2010-05-22, 2:21am

Oh wowowo.. those are just gorgeous !

Quote:
Originally Posted by garishglobes View Post

Old 2010-05-22, 2:55am

Thanks
I love that top pendant Dave, it looks so fiery - and the rose is fab.

Old 2010-05-22, 5:08am
Pyromaniac

Great Stuff Dave! That rose sculpture is really cool - great job working the crayon colors (they were my bane as a beginner! Still get 'em extra crispy every now and then)!

I really dig the first "fire" pendant. Tell us all how you did it! Brag a little I'm guessing AP over white, clear dots and twisted with a clear stringer... flame struck? Kiln Struck?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-05-22, 7:05am
Life is good

Thanks so much for the compliments everyone. Well I can't really take credit for the heart and dicro pendant. They were from tutorials I got from Cosmo and Brent. The "fire" pendant is exactly what you said Chris. It started out as a drop and I decided to kind of change it up a little. I flattened it and added the twists. The rose is from some cool orange boro that I have been trying to find something to do with. I'm sorry, I don't know the colors. I'm a newbie and most of the stuff I do is with shorts and unmarked rods that some friends so kindly RAOGKed me. The final implosion is, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it is a cremation pendant I made with my Brothers cremains. I think it's AP and silver creek, then the cremains like frit, then enclose the back with black. Thanks again for the interest in my stuff. You guys are all really amazing. I hope to venture out of the Newbie thread maybe again soon.

Last edited by davelovins; 2010-05-22 at 7:08am.
Old 2010-05-22, 9:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Chris, your eyes keep pushing me to try new things to make mine better. Awesome.
pffff, it's not like you don't push yourself to excel anyway but thank you, that's one of the best compliments ever!

I've always liked your style and that figure is pretty cool, but could you make it in blue? ....... (haha, I know you know I'm joking)
I like the figure the way it is just fine, it's got a somewhat flayed look about it and it reminds me of old imagery of the Danse Macabre and (in a lesser way) old anatomy books. There's a kind of sadness about your imagery, but positive joy, too. Great stuff!

Running a
Old 2010-05-22, 12:44pm

That was perfectly put, the figure does look like anatomy texts, but with an energy all its own. Love it.

Old 2010-05-22, 3:56pm
Torch junkie

WOW! Those steampunk cameras and watches are just awesome! And those dragon head pendants are way cool!

Here's a dragon pendant I currently have up on the bay.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-05-22, 4:51pm
Borovangelist

I love the wings

|
|