Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-03-22, 11:28am

Quote:
I love my Lynx! It doesn't matter if GTT cleans it for free or not, I still love it. The fact that they no longer offer this free service is pretty irrelevant, I didn't buy the torch because they'd clean it for free, I bought it because I just love it. Did I mention I love my Lynx?
I sooo agree!! I don't expect any thing for free in life....

Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-22, 1:26pm

Quote:
I sooo agree!! I don't expect any thing for free in life....

Paula
Not even "Free Silver Glass with $100 Order" from FlameDame this Month???
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(I'm sorry, but with your big pink advertisement RIGHT UNDERNEATH THAT LINE, that has to be quite possibly the 2nd funniest post in the thread
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-03-22, 1:41pm

Hahaha. Well it's FREE to my customers! It wasn't free to me!! I had to pay for it!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-22, 2:32pm

LOL! This is the funniest thread

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-22, 5:05pm
aka Pele's Fire

Okay, I have been following this thread for a couple of days now and trying to understand it all. I have a GTT lynx which I bought last year and at first I wasn't too satisfied since the propane kept fluctuating up and down and the flame would get lower and lower until I turned the propane up on it yet again. I would do this over and over again in a torch session.....driving me crazy. Everyone swore to me there was nothing wrong with it. I send it to Wally (and I think to make me happy) he tightened the valve. Works fine now by the way. Love it, but it concerned me that he said it was really dirty and it was only 6 months old. I don't know if it was really dirty because the flame would just get lower and lower until I didn't have 1/4 inch candles with little yellow tips all the time or if it was something I was doing wrong. I always ran the torch with the blue valve open like I was told to do. Now I am worried after reading this that I am doing something wrong. My torch looks fine, runs fine, but lately I have been adjusting the flame all around to do the tiny little scroll work Trey taught me. How do I know if I am building up carbon? Is it going to be a process I can see soon after I begin torching, or one day, is my torch just gonna die? I just don't have enough experience to understand all of this. What would my burner face look like if I was damaging my torch? I think I will go buy that video everyone keeps talking about.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-03-22, 5:14pm

Terry, I think your post bothers me more than most. You shouldn't have to be worried about your torch. Unless you see something wrong, more than likely there is nothing wrong! Carbon will build up on an improperly run torch and you can actually see it. You will get little glowing "coals" on your torch face. Then you need to stop and do a really, really good cleaning, yourself! I am sure that Willy and Wally do a great job cleaning when there is something desperately wrong, but all torches can be cleaned by the person using them, including GTT torches. Turn your oxy on. Put the little wire in one of the holes on your torch face, wiggle it around. Repeat until all the holes have been cleaned!

Don't worry, be happy!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-03-22, 5:40pm
aka Pele's Fire

Thanks Pam, you definately made me feel better. I don't have any of that going on. Like I said it seems fine now that Wally tightened the valves a little bit. I love it....and I don't see any of the stuff you were describing. However, I did just order that video. It was only $20 bucks. I think I just got a little paranoid. Thanks for responding.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-03-22, 7:38pm

You're very welcome. I love my GTT torch and I don't think anyone should be concerned that they are going to hurt their GTT torch any more than they would any other torch. Okay, I have to admit that I used to pound my Beth with a wrench, or any other handy tool, to get rid of the carbon, and I wouldn't do that with my GTT, but then I don't get any carbon with my GTT, so................!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-03-22, 8:13pm

Quote:
You're very welcome. I love my GTT torch and I don't think anyone should be concerned that they are going to hurt their GTT torch any more than they would any other torch. Okay, I have to admit that I used to pound my Beth with a wrench, or any other handy tool, to get rid of the carbon, and I wouldn't do that with my GTT, but then I don't get any carbon with my GTT, so................!!
And she looks so NICE in her avatar! (Remind me not to get on her bad side!)

(actually, that totally sounds like something I'd do....I'm seriously rough on my tools....I used to open helium tanks that way
)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-03-22, 10:49pm
Super Duper

Seriously, my lynx has been through everything you could possibly throw at a torch (glass on the face, massive reduction flames, tiny flames for extended periods of time...) for 3-4 years and it still works like new. I honestly think I would have to try really, really hard to damage the torch to the point where I would have to send it in to be cleaned.
Old 2009-03-23, 2:36am
Frit frit and more frit!

I love my Bobcat and want to upgrade to a bigger GTT torch eventually. However, my Bobcat was shipped from Frantz with no instructions or wires - the box had not been opened by customs ether. When I contacted GTT for instructions and wires they did send them but made me feel like I was lying about them not being in the box.
I can't imagine ever sending my torch back to the US from the UK, but it was reassuring to know that I could for free if need be (obviously shipping would be my responsibility). It was a bit of a selling point for me, knowing that they were so confident in their product that they were happy to service if for free. I can perfectly understand why they are now charging for the service, especially if it has been abused. However, if people have bought their torches on the understanding that this free service was available, then surely they have a right to expect this? Obviously you would have to show a receipt or something to show your purchase has fallen within the qualifying time period. People who buy their torches now, should obviously not expect the free service as it wasn't offered at the time of purchase.
Old 2009-03-23, 7:07am

It was a COURTESY, not part of any warranty I have seen. The info on free cleanings was dispersed by different forum members, not GTT.
Old 2009-03-23, 7:39am

Now that I believe

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-03-23, 7:53am
Who me?

Quote:
I love my Bobcat and want to upgrade to a bigger GTT torch eventually. However, my Bobcat was shipped from Frantz with no instructions or wires - the box had not been opened by customs ether. When I contacted GTT for instructions and wires they did send them but made me feel like I was lying about them not being in the box.
I can't imagine ever sending my torch back to the US from the UK, but it was reassuring to know that I could for free if need be (obviously shipping would be my responsibility). It was a bit of a selling point for me, knowing that they were so confident in their product that they were happy to service if for free. I can perfectly understand why they are now charging for the service, especially if it has been abused. However, if people have bought their torches on the understanding that this free service was available, then surely they have a right to expect this? Obviously you would have to show a receipt or something to show your purchase has fallen within the qualifying time period. People who buy their torches now, should obviously not expect the free service as it wasn't offered at the time of purchase.
I got my Bobcat from Mike A and there were no cleaning wires either - GTT sent me 2 sets but darn, those little things get misplaced easily.
Old 2009-03-23, 8:32am

Quote:
Okay, I have to admit that I used to pound my Beth with a wrench, or any other handy tool, to get rid of the carbon................!!
The sound you hear is the exploding of my pre-conceived perception of Pam as such a gentle soul.

LOL

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-03-23, 8:54am
moth to the flame

I still think Pam is a gentle soul after all, my DH would call her carbon removal technique "a housewife adjustment". lol

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-03-23, 9:57am
PyronamixK

*Original post removed by author*

I'm sorry, but I am no longer providing free customer service for GTT, nor am I doing any more favors for them or defending them or their reputation.

Wally will not acknowledge that I have been of any help. Oddly, he says that I should be providing customer service for free and without any compensation or thanks because I am Willy's wife. Of course, neither of the two girlfriends he has had that worked for GTT have ever worked for free. Oh, he made a rule about no GFs or wives working at GTT in order to keep me out of the company. His rules did not apply to anyone he bedded down.

Please direct your questions to:

570-835-9777

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-05-27 at 3:03pm.
Old 2009-03-23, 10:04am
PyronamixK

I'm sorry, but I am no longer providing free customer service for GTT, nor am I doing any more favors for them or defending them or their reputation.

Wally will not acknowledge that I have been of any help. Oddly, he says that I should be providing customer service for free and without any compensation or thanks because I am Willy's wife. Of course, neither of the two girlfriends he has had that worked for GTT have ever worked for free. Oh, he made a rule about no GFs or wives working at GTT in order to keep me out of the company. His rules did not apply to anyone he bedded down.

570-835-9777

Old 2009-03-23, 10:41am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Lol. Bethlehem actually includes a wooden "club" in their torch cleaning kits. The instructions actually say to hit the barrel of the torch with it.

(Ok, so it's more like a big fat wooden dowel...)

Old 2009-03-23, 11:06am

First off, I don't work soft glass, I run tanked oxy and just purchased my first GTT. I have however worked a few hundred hours on a phantom and lynx.

My first thought when I hear you have to clean them often is you're not using enough oxygen. Most boro workers I know run their oxy between 30-60 psi! Maybe that's too much for soft glass but as far as i know they've never even had carbon build up let alone had to clean them with the wires.

I got my lynx off ebay and it didn't work right. The previous owner asked me if I KNOW HOW TO RUN ONE CORRECTLY! I told him of course I do and sent pictures of the flame. I called up Willy and Wally, sent it in and gave them a check up call a week or more later because I need the torch for a class in two weeks. They were very friendly, said it would be no problem to get it back to me by then.

$50 is nothing folks! I got my CC off ebay and had to send it to Carlisle to be fixed. It cost over $550! I may as well have gotten a new one!

This is your most important tool folks! If you're not willing to ship it over seas to get serviced by the same guys who made it maybe you should look for a torch built in your own country (i realize this isn't possible for everyone). I'm just saying, blowing glass in other countries often seems to be harder than here in the states (from what I've read on other threads-oxy prices etc.) Don't take it out on the two guys who make some of the best torches available.

Anyway, W&W are great guys trying to keep their company personal which I appreciate immensely. Be patient and courteous.
Old 2009-03-23, 11:09am

Kimbrely. I was running mostly Blue valve with the green valve barely cracked.
I wanted to show some differant types of pin points then the others were showing.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2009-03-23 at 11:11am.
Old 2009-03-23, 11:39am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Kimbrely. I was running mostly Blue valve with the green valve barely cracked.
I wanted to show some differant types of pin points then the others were showing.
Scott
Your flame was fine. I was just curious if I had it pegged right.
Old 2009-03-23, 11:57am
PyronamixK

570-835-9777

Old 2009-03-23, 12:01pm
PyronamixK

570-835-9777

Old 2009-03-23, 12:42pm

Kbinkster - I sent you a pm.
Old 2009-03-23, 7:45pm
Rare Florida Native

When I purchased my Lynx from Arrow Springs it came with NO instructions and no cleaning wires.

When I called Arrow Springs to ask about some "how to use the torch instructions" I was told I could purchase the dvd on how to use the Lynx which I of course did - why didn't they tell me when I ordered the torch I needed to order some instructions to go with the torch.......Arrow Springs also told me to contact GTT for the cleaning wires.....I felt the dvd and the wires should have come with the torch from Arrow Springs.

I did email GTT regarding the cleaning wires and received INSTRUCTIONS on how to use the Lynx (which are on the studio wall to this day) and a set of cleaning wires within days of the email. Really didn't need the dvd after the instructions from GTT.....

Maybe one day I will upgrade my Lynx but for now it is all I need. And I will contact the maker of the next torch BEFORE I buy from the distributor next time around!

Last edited by C-Ann; 2009-03-23 at 8:40pm. Reason: clarification
Old 2009-03-23, 8:29pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Lol. Bethlehem actually includes a wooden "club" in their torch cleaning kits. The instructions actually say to hit the barrel of the torch with it.

(Ok, so it's more like a big fat wooden dowel...)
Is that what that's for!?! I have to admit I have a brand new quad Barracuda sitting in my studio and I haven't read any instructions yet, but I did see the big dowel and wondered what it was for

Old 2009-03-24, 4:03am

I think what people forget or didn't realize was that GTT handbuilds these torch's. They are so good. demand always outstrips supply, which you may have noticed with postings constantly asking if anyone has a certain model in stock. The rebuilding was surely being abused by people buying beat-up torch's and having them sent back"like new",then being offered on E-Bay for top dollar. If I owned a company and had to choose repairing / cleaning for free or addressing demand for my product,it's a no-brainer.Lets be thankful for the support these guys give the community now and gave willingly then.

Rock on, GTT !!
Old 2009-03-24, 7:26am

Quote:
Distributors are notorious for taking torches out of their boxes to display and then misplacing the instruction sheets with the cleaning wires. Some even misplace the instructional video that comes with the larger torches.

There have been a few rare occassions where GTT has not sent the instruction sheet and wires with the torch (they are only human, afterall), but those instances are few and far between.
I certainly hope you aren't pointing fingers at Mike!!

During the short period he sold the GTT torches, they were never removed from the box, much less was the box opened, he says.

If there were no wires when Linda received them, then there were no wires in the box. Not our fault!

: LE2009
Old 2009-03-24, 8:37am
moth to the flame

Quote:
I certainly hope you aren't pointing fingers at Mike!!

During the short period he sold the GTT torches, they were never removed from the box, much less was the box opened, he says.

If there were no wires when Linda received them, then there were no wires in the box. Not our fault!
Why in the world would you think that?

It was an ambiguous comment that could have meant anyone and yet you choose to jump in. Makes you appear to be guilty of that which you deny.
I have stood back and watched you (Ed) post here and while you swear you are not Mike, you seem to be reading threads together and when something hits a nerve with Mike (from the past), you jump in to defend him. Curious of not a bit bizarre and IMHO, definitely not a good business practice.

Back to talking about GTT and NOT mike.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.