Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-25, 7:18pm

Default Help my kiln/controller died!!!

Well I am hoping they may just be a solution so... I have a Arrow Springs AF99 Kiln with a ASC3 (Perfect Fire) digital controller. I made some beads in am and set my usual program, came back few hours later to check on my beads and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH an error message was showing so I did the most intelligent thing a person could do, freaked out and shut off the controller before READING the error message. Now, I have tried to turn my controller off and on a few (ok, MANY!) times to "reboot" and the light on the kiln does not go on and it does not not ramp up. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else and is it terminal? Please help! Thanks!

Pamela
Old 2010-04-26, 5:13am

I've gotten error messages at times, always after one of our famous electrical glitches here in South Florida. There are instructions on the website for rebooting the contoller, but you can also call them and they will walk you through it. It's always worked for me, but your experience may differ - lol. Honestly, I have had this controller forever and it is great.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-26, 10:19am

Thank you Pam. I took the day off work and called Arrow Springs first thing this am, but it looks like their technician is not working today. UGH! They were very nice however and offered to try to see if they could have someone call me back today. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! I do see the troubleshooting steps given in the manual, but I don't know if it was "error1" message or "error2" message. The steps for each appear to be different and I am so technically handicapped I'm scared to try!
Pam did the light on the control attached to your kiln remain off when you had your trouble? I have tried to just turn the digital controller to the 1st setting to anneal beads and then turn the dial on my kiln to "high" , the controller just displays 64degrees and the light for "ramp" is lit. The light on the controller on the kiln remains unlit even when turned to high. Did your controller and kiln act in this same way when you had your problems?
Many thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, anyone might have!!! Just a little desperate here!

Pamela
Old 2010-04-26, 12:58pm

Well the folks at Arrow Springs have my vote for the kindest, most helpful people out there in the lampworking business! That's hard to do when there are so many awesome people in the industry! Craig from AS called me and helped determine that I have a burnt out infinite switch on my kiln. The solution: bypass the infinite switch since I have a digital controller. Oh boy wish me luck! Craig tried to splain how to rewire the switch, but alas I will have to have my husband talk to him. Luckily DH is very good at such things and when Craig said "now this is VERY IMPORTANT several times I thought, yep better get DH on the case, don't want to fry anything or anybody!

Thanks Pam for your input!
Old 2010-04-27, 7:05am

I'm sorry I didn't get back here yesterday, but I am glad you talked to Craig as he is the BEST. I just love AS. Let me know how it goes with your DH.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog