No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-01, 10:16am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default Sushi Murrini?

Anyone know where I can buy some sushi murrini? trying to think of ideas of a bead I can make my son. He loves sushi. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-05-01, 10:50am
Covered in glitter

I don't but it's a brilliant idea!!! If you find any, please post the source, OK?

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-05-01, 12:14pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

okie dokie, will do.

im thinking of attempting some if i cant find any. we'll see.

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-01, 12:40pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Would anyone else like to see some sushi murrini? Would anyone like to critique mine if I try? Anyone have some good pics I could go off of? Should I encase the final sushi murrini part with clear? Or leave the border or outside edge white or black?

*+.+*

Last edited by KarenBeth; 2010-05-01 at 12:42pm.
Old 2010-05-01, 7:16pm
Formerly FishBulb

I know diddly about murrini, but I would suspect it would be best to encase it in clear before you do the final pull, just to protect the outside areas of the colours.

You should contact De Anne on here; she's getting to be a murrini wizard. There's another fellow, I think his name is Otter, who is also fabulous.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-05-01, 8:17pm
Covered in glitter

I think I would lightly encase it. I'd love to see them. You should google 'sushi' and go to images. You'll get lots of pics there. I'm guessing it's going to be a lot easier to do maki (rolls) but I'm really interested in seeing what you do.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/ed...ostid=3009631#

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2010-05-01 at 8:24pm.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:08am
Super Duper

Go without encasing, if the entire surface is black you wont need it.
To be honest, I'm not completely sure how to translate sushi into murrini. It will be basically impossible to represent the texture of the rice, and the best you can do is really some green/red squares surrounded by white and encased in black/green.

If you take away the context, it will be hard to differentiate sushi from a geometric design.
Old 2010-05-02, 3:56am

I was thinking that maybe make a whole heap of white and clear twisties to try to get that textured rice feeling and I agree with Ryan, I would not encase in clear so that it has more applications (ie. left raised on top of a bead rather than encased).

Maybe if you make a couple slightly different designs with different fillings when put together would become more recognisable as sushi.

I can't wait to see what you come up with, all those pics make me hungry for some sushi now!!!!

Nat

Old 2010-05-02, 6:13am
Lampworkaholic!

Instead of murrini, have you thought about making sushi beads?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-02, 7:08am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thanks guys, those are some great pics and suggestions. I thought about what it would look like as well as for the context and thought about making several different kind to help differentiate. I thought about what you said about the clear and white twisties and a little brown (for brown rice) to help with the rice. It's definitely gonna be several trials to see how it works out but thats ok if the finished result is what im thinking in my head.

Yes, Elizabeth, I thought about beads too. If the murrini doesn't work out, I'll try a bead. but then he's a boy, so to have 1 bead on a chain or cord and it being 1 sushi roll isnt really popping in my head. I was thinking a plate with chopsticks and a few sushi rolls.

*+.+*

Last edited by KarenBeth; 2010-05-02 at 7:08am. Reason: typos
Old 2010-05-02, 8:35am
Covered in glitter

I think I'd mix a little bit of very, very light grey in the 'rice' as well just to give it a little color variation.

Old 2010-05-02, 9:33am

jesse kohl was making sushi murrini, but i am not sure if hes selling them. if u ask maybe he will sell u some?
Old 2010-05-02, 12:42pm
I speak Murrini!

Hum...maybe I can be talked into giving this a try! If you want me to, please let me know!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-02, 1:49pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's a few tutorials and pics on how to make sushi canes in polymer clay.
I think they might help you visualize the path you might want to
take.

http://chat-noir.deviantart.com/art/...orial-58865159

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51423372@N00/1348118327/

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329719.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tem5W2DqV3Q

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/polymerclay,sushi

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-02, 5:44pm

Wink

These are interesting....and obviously made from a murrine http://www.bodyartforms.com/productd...ProductID=5936

Old 2010-05-02, 10:42pm
I speak Murrini!

OK...now you've gone and DONE IT! I'm now on a mission to make some sushi murrini...

De

Old 2010-05-02, 11:20pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
...I'm not completely sure how to translate sushi into murrini. It will be basically impossible to represent the texture of the rice, and the best you can do is really some green/red squares surrounded by white and encased in black/green.
I'M TOTALLY TAKING THIS CHALLENGE...IT WILL BE FIRST ON MY AGENDA TOMORROW (MON.) Hope to have something to show in Gallery - stay tuned!

Never say NEVER! Thanks for motivating me, Ryan! You're my murrini IDOL!!!

De

Old 2010-05-03, 3:10am

Big 'yes De, make sushi murrini' vote from me!

Old 2010-05-03, 7:55am
I speak Murrini!

Tabitha...thanks for the encouragement! I'm so ON this...my head was filled with ideas and excitement last night...I could hardly sleep!

A few household chores first, then it's me and the torch! Wish me luck...

De

Old 2010-05-03, 9:44am

Yeap, I dont think is that dificult but I could be wrong, De has done way difficult things, the sushi I believe its not that much difficult, for the rice, you can make encased white or rice color strings, and apply those, the tranparent will give you that little space between the rice, just my thoughts, hope it helps you De

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-03, 10:55am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, I got plans, Tiago...indeed! I'm gonna experiment trying to achieve a little of that "transparency/translucency" to make the rice look real enough! And thanks for the vote of confidence...off I go!

Weeeeeee....it's so good to feel so excited about an idea!

De

Old 2010-05-03, 11:22am

How cool is that???? Can't wait to see where this leads!

Old 2010-05-03, 2:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Takng a quick break; I've spent a couple hours pulling "Wasabi" murrini, "Ginger" murrini, and several rods of what I think is gonna make good "Rice"

I'm going out now to try my first "roll" - a simple Tuna Roll - and thank heaven I hung onto some of the "Watermelon" version of Poppy - it looks like the perfect color, with it's translucency, I'm so hopeful it will look like the real thing!

Hoping to post in a couple hours...

Old 2010-05-03, 4:09pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Takng a quick break; I've spent a couple hours pulling "Wasabi" murrini, "Ginger" murrini, and several rods of what I think is gonna make good "Rice"

I'm going out now to try my first "roll" - a simple Tuna Roll - and thank heaven I hung onto some of the "Watermelon" version of Poppy - it looks like the perfect color, with it's translucency, I'm so hopeful it will look like the real thing!

Hoping to post in a couple hours...
You frighten me.

But in a good way...

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-03, 4:51pm
Bead Imp

Ok, I'm subscribing to this thread so I can keep up with what De does!

Old 2010-05-03, 6:12pm

Waiting . . . . .

I'm sure whatever De comes up with, it will be awesome!

Old 2010-05-03, 6:29pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Tabitha...thanks for the encouragement! I'm so ON this...my head was filled with ideas and excitement last night...I could hardly sleep!

A few household chores first, then it's me and the torch! Wish me luck...

De
DeAnne.. I immediately thought of you when I began reading this thread and I am wishing you luck (NOT that I think you'll need it! )

Rachel Cat

Old 2010-05-03, 6:31pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
You frighten me.

But in a good way...

Oh Karen.. Brava and well put!!!
(couldn't have said it better myself! )

Old 2010-05-03, 9:28pm
Burning through glass

I made some for fusing a long time ago...they're big, but I'm sure something could be done smaller, anything's possible...I had plans to make some at some point, but I would love to see what De comes up with!

Let me see if I can get a photo up of my plates.....

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2010-05-03, 9:38pm
Burning through glass

I forgot how "blocky" they looked! Obviously made with strip glass

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2010-05-03 at 9:44pm.