Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-25, 11:55am
I speak Murrini!

Okie! Here's my first tries! Tried a variety of techniques - and the "Dot" over Striking Red definitely had the best effect!

I did a couple Striking Red and Ivory accent beads, then tried the prepared stringer over:

1) Ivory Base - clear encase - ugh! Very "organic" but barely any colors
2) Striking Red Lg. Donut - prepared stringer then clear encase - not bad. Some color, mostly pale blue, but kinda dark.
3) Striking Red Base, Black Nebula Dots covered with Ivory Dots; added Striking Red over the Ivory Dots, melted in, then added the prepared Lt. Brown/Iris Gold stringer, marvered/melted in, then clear dot caps.

NOTE: I DARED to use Lauscha Soft Clear 104 for all clear applications; time will tell if there's any compatibility cracks or rejection, but so far, so good! And I'm thrilled with the colors I got on the "Dots" Bead - yummie! I got PINK!!!! Hot, Hot, Hot PINK! Yippee!

WITH FLASH:

Can't wait to try again...it will be either with Transparent Aquas or Transparent Emeralds - or both!

Thanks for sharing recipes, techniques and suggestions. I'm thrilled with what I was able to accomplish - even on a Hot Head!

~De

ETA: Yes, there's some bubbles - I think because I used the "Powder" and not the "Frit" - but heck, just couldn't wait to try so used what I had on hand.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-11-28 at 1:33pm. Reason: Spell-CHECK! Der!
Old 2009-11-28, 8:12am
Puddy Cat Lover

DeAnne, I like all of them, but I really like the one with the striking red base. The colors that came out of them are so pretty. I'm going to have to try it now.

This is a pandora bead that I made with some of Val's frit. Silver Aqua.
No twisty, but just layers of tranparent brown and the frit and dots of brown and encase. Kinda like the peacock tutorial that I posted a few years ago, but with out raking. I'm going to try a few more of the reduction colors I have for this technique. This was a test bead. Technically not that great, and I chipped it when I added the silver core. But I'm still keeping it cuz I really love this color combination.
I looked through my stash and thought I had the transparent straw color. I don't. So I gotta go get some.

J.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by J. Savina; 2009-11-28 at 8:19am.
Old 2009-11-28, 1:28pm
I speak Murrini!

Ooo, love this! And thank you Jeanette, for your compliments! I'm gonna try Striking Orange and Striking Yellow next!

I tried using Dark Emerald Green last night...made a bunch of "accent" beads as I was SURE the main "Dot" bead was gonna be spectacular! NOT! Funny, but the Dot bead with the prepared stringer looks more "Blue Jean" Blue

My accent beads were fun, though - I used Lt. Emerald, Gaia, Lt. Yellow/Green, Ivory (Lt. and Curdled) and Hades.

I'll post a pic in a little bit when they're cleaned.

De

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-11-28 at 1:31pm.
Old 2009-11-28, 4:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Ok - here's the "over Dark Emerald" Dot Bead...and see? Looks dark and BLUE - how funny!

Close up and with flash:

But I like the group all together - yeah?

De

Old 2009-11-28, 5:01pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
perhaps this was answered in the previous 207 posts somewhere, but why not just work boro?
BORO MAKE MONKEY ANGRY! (does best frankenstein voice)

FIRE GOOD... BORO BAD...

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2009-11-28, 5:16pm
I speak Murrini!

Old 2009-11-28, 9:34pm
Wendy

Here are some I did with iris gold frit over trans. lt. brown. The first three are done on trans. cobalt bases. The next two were done on trans. green bases and the last was on a red base that I failed to strike properly. I'm working on that.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2009-11-28, 10:43pm
Lampworkaholic!

Try mixing some silver frit in with your Iris Gold and Light Trans Brown. I like Silver Aqua and Silver Amethyst. Also, try some of the other Iris colors, like Iris Violet and Iris Blue. Striking Red is my favorite base, I strike it before I add the stringer and encase. I also like using Uroboros glass for my base, the very dark green and blue transparent work well, as does aqua. In that case I use Uroboros Straw Yellow to make my stringer.

For a real pink and violet treat, try encasing Dark Multicolor. Wow.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-30, 12:10pm
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
perhaps this was answered in the previous 207 posts somewhere, but why not just work boro?

I wish I could work boro...boro is expensive..I dont have enough oxygen nor the money to buy boro...unfortunately...
Old 2010-05-14, 1:08pm
professional gimme fiver

Iris gold frit - I have COE 96, can I use that w/ Moretti and then encase over the top? I thought mixing the COE's would make it go kablooey. (there's a lotta kablooey up in here to begin with!) Actually, upon further thinking, I'm wondering if I do indeed have COE 96 frit. I bought like 20 bags of iris frit 3 years ago but the COE isn't labeled. Came in little clear baggies w/ white Avery return address stickers that had the color printed on. Sound familiar to anyone? I can post a pic later.

Old 2010-05-20, 2:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoonglow View Post
Iris gold frit - I have COE 96, can I use that w/ Moretti and then encase over the top? I thought mixing the COE's would make it go kablooey. (there's a lotta kablooey up in here to begin with!) Actually, upon further thinking, I'm wondering if I do indeed have COE 96 frit. I bought like 20 bags of iris frit 3 years ago but the COE isn't labeled. Came in little clear baggies w/ white Avery return address stickers that had the color printed on. Sound familiar to anyone? I can post a pic later.
Alexis-

I saw your question while I was rooting around for boro stuff...

It's my understanding that the Reichenbach iris colors (like raku, iris yellow and so forth) probably have lead in them which makes them very "blendable" in terms of COE and so you can "make" them compatible in small amounts without going kablooey. The overall amount used on a stringer applied to a bead wouldn't be that much and so they can swing both ways with the 96 and 104 glass, and I guess Bulleye too.

And some of the effects here are much like the silver glass effects. I think I may have to dig around in my bin again and dig out what's left of my Reichenbach frits and sit and play...just to see if it's really more trouble.
Old 2010-05-20, 3:59pm
Formerly FishBulb

This is a great thread! Thanks to everyone who posted!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-06-15, 4:02pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

do you mean encase the dark multicolor with the lt transparent brown, and irsi gold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Try mixing some silver frit in with your Iris Gold and Light Trans Brown. I like Silver Aqua and Silver Amethyst. Also, try some of the other Iris colors, like Iris Violet and Iris Blue. Striking Red is my favorite base, I strike it before I add the stringer and encase. I also like using Uroboros glass for my base, the very dark green and blue transparent work well, as does aqua. In that case I use Uroboros Straw Yellow to make my stringer.

For a real pink and violet treat, try encasing Dark Multicolor. Wow.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:22pm
Formerly FishBulb

I'll give this thread the ol' bumpitty bump, since I'm going on the torch all day tomorrow and would love to try this while I still remember the instructions.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-21, 7:35am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
do you mean encase the dark multicolor with the lt transparent brown, and irsi gold??
I'm just 5 months late with my reply - lol!. No, I meant encase Dark Multi with clear, I like Gaffer clear (using the 96 Coe DM). It's not really a boro look, but it does give pretty violets and mauves.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-29, 8:07am

I hope this isn't like beating a dead horse, but, I have read and re read this whole "faux Boro" blog and I think maybe there is still a question about the iris gold, Glass Diversions says use "light iris gold" Are some of you using that or the regular iris gold. Just a thought, wanted to see the differences. I suppose I could do that myself but love to see all your beautiful work too. Love Love Love these reactions, Some days are great for these beads and other days I feel like it's my first time making them. They come out poopy. Thats why I am back to rereading this all again. LOL
Old 2011-04-29, 8:26am
Lampworkaholic!

Any of the Iris Golds will work, I prefer Dark Iris Gold mixed with other Iris and Silver colors. I just got some Iris Green and I'm looking forward to trying that out.

Old 2011-07-15, 7:32pm

First, I love the beads on this thread.

Second, I don't have the light brown or straw yellow so I tried CIM Sepia. I did get some reaction on Vetrofond cobalt and a Devardi green.

Has anyone else tried Sepia? I think I may have to experiment more.

Thanks everybody for this fantastic technique.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:24pm

These are not perfect beads, I am learning but I loved the colors I got.

This is The Great Bluedini (CIM) silver leaf, with raku stringer, encased.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:26pm

They look awesome Bran. I love the colors you got out of them.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:41pm

I love The Great Bluedini, including the name.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:13pm

Kandice Seeber did a review on her color addictions blog and I read it yesterday and now tonig you post great beads with it, so, I guess it's only next Frantz order! Does it look like effetres teal or is it more like dark teal or just a totally different color than that so I must get it?
Old 2011-07-16, 10:29am

There are a few shades of it from different batches. I only have one and it is a lovely deep deep blue green.
Old 2011-07-16, 7:59pm

I got some faux boro frit made by That Frit Girl in my AGLF grab bag. I got Magic Blue Iris, Magic Green Iris, Magic Gold Iris blends. I tried them all and they are awesome! They are really easy to use and I got great results. I'll have to try to get pics. If you are trying this and getting frustrated I would recommend you try these!
Old 2011-07-16, 8:37pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Diane, is that a schnauzer in your avatar? I have a schnauzer & he looked like that when he was a puppy. I love schnauzers & this is my 2nd one.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-07-17, 7:59pm

You can also get neat reactions with Rubino over SuperNova!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-07-18, 3:42am
StudioMarcy

what's SuperNova?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-18, 5:48am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
There are probably actually a lot of ways that people stumble upon.

my most recent was a light transparent core...rolled in raku 00 size frit, then I layered a couple transparent dots, and encased...to me they have a boro look to them...I made one dinking around and ended up making a while set.
Wow do you have a tutorial on these . They are beautiful : )
Old 2011-07-18, 11:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
Diane, is that a schnauzer in your avatar? I have a schnauzer & he looked like that when he was a puppy. I love schnauzers & this is my 2nd one.
Sure is! That is my Zoey as a pup, about 7 weeks old, and her BD is this coming Friday. She ended up being about 12-13 lbs right now, her Mom is 17-19 lbs not pregnant. I have her Mother and her Mother is due sometime between the 21st and 24th. We are really excited! We already have homes for 2 definite and strong possiblities for 2 more. (except we need 3 males.....I can just see an all girl litter!)
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-19, 4:57am
StudioMarcy

Hi Diane, that photo is adorable. Makes me want to make beads out of them.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy