AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-03-01, 1:14pm
Fancy Mammal

Default Which concentrator for a Lynx?

I've just upgraded to a Lynx, and I can tell that I'll be refilling my tanks more often.

So, I'm seriously thinking of getting a concentrator. I'd like to have just one, and I've heard that there are now models that can run a Lynx at full power or close to it. I'd love to hear anyone's feed back about their experiences, flame flexibility with a concentrator and / or suggestions what the Lynx needs to run at it's best.

I was also wondering if anyone ran a concentrator and a tank at times?

Thanksk!
Old 2006-03-01, 3:02pm

As far as a concentrator goes, I would suggest a Devilbiss Solairis 505. They are a 5 Liter Per Minute unit, put out 8-9 PSI (among the highest from a standard concentrator) and last between 20-25k hours before they need to be rebuilt. Service consists of annual filter changes. They are whisper quiet.

You can also get other concentrators too, but the Devilbiss puts outa higher pressure than most other concentrators!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-01, 3:29pm
A True Woofer

I use an Integra 10 that I got from Paulette at Suncoast beads. A bit pricey, but well worth it. I had been running 2 concentrators, but with the 10 lpm, you only need one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-01, 5:50pm
Fancy Mammal

Thanks for the info -- I think the Integra is one that I'd heard about. You're pretty happy with it?
Old 2006-03-01, 6:35pm
PyronamixK

I'm using an Integra 10 with a Lynx right now. I like it, and the guy that built the torch likes it, too.
Old 2006-03-01, 6:42pm
Fancy Mammal

lol
Old 2006-03-01, 8:13pm
A True Woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisgal
Thanks for the info -- I think the Integra is one that I'd heard about. You're pretty happy with it?
Wicked happy.

Old 2006-03-02, 5:13am
boro color bender

It the integra can supply what it needs volume wise, I'd also look into the M-10 and M-20. The M-20 will put out about 10 LPM at 20 PSI. GTT's like higher pressures.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-02, 12:59pm

Has anyone tested the Purity of the M-10 and M-20? What kind of results did they get?

Old 2006-03-02, 1:12pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I am using the 5 lpm one for soft glass, works excellent, and am using two for boro, works like a charm

Old 2006-03-02, 5:39pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L
Has anyone tested the Purity of the M-10 and M-20? What kind of results did they get?
I don't have that info, but I have run a few and they rock from my limited experience. I'm getting two M-20's and will be running them every day, so I'll keep you posted.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-02, 8:38pm

cool..I'd like to know Ive heard of some people getting poor purity out of their units. They figured it might have been shipping damage. I've yet to get my hands on one to test it though.

Old 2006-03-03, 7:37am
boro color bender

The info I have is that they have a 6 month warranty, with some sort of optional extended warranty for purchase. No details on that yet. The filters need to be changed about every 6 months and the units should run at least 15,000 hours before any factory maintenance is required. At 40 hours a week, that's 7 years. A complete factory rebuild is under $150, so I'm not sure I would buy an extended warranty unless it was cheap.

On the units I've tried, I haven't had a purity issue. I'm getting two of the M-20's and I will be running at about 80%. As with all concentrators, the purity goes down the closer you get to running at 100%. The M-10 putting out 10LPM at 10 PSI for under $600 brand spanking new is awesome. That's like 2 regular concentrators. The M-20 puting out 10 LPM at 20 PSI for under $900 is friggin awesome! I hope they work like they should. The company seems to be on the up and up. I saw them at a show and while they are new to this, they seem to be in it for the long haul and really concerned about putting out quality units. I'll be a guinea pig at that price.

Old 2006-03-03, 7:44am
Gone Fishing!

Hey Parisgal.... hope you are happy with your lynx... I am so glad that he went to a good home...

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2006-03-03, 9:05am
boro color bender

Justin, I just talked to Jack from the factory. They stand behind their machines 110%. I am so friggin thrilled with the attitude of this company. If it isn't right, they will make it right, no matter what. Customer service is a HUGE deal to them. I have zero doubts now about getting two of the M-20's into my studio. The smaller volume units have a limited life in the lampwork world I'm afraid. I can't contain my excitement! From a boro workers perspective, this is awesome news!!! Unlimited oxygen, affordably priced and at the presures / volumes lampworkers need to get the most out of their torch. Who could ask for more?

Old 2006-03-03, 9:58am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
The info I have is that they have a 6 month warranty, with some sort of optional extended warranty for purchase. No details on that yet. The filters need to be changed about every 6 months and the units should run at least 15,000 hours before any factory maintenance is required. At 40 hours a week, that's 7 years. A complete factory rebuild is under $150, so I'm not sure I would buy an extended warranty unless it was cheap.

On the units I've tried, I haven't had a purity issue. I'm getting two of the M-20's and I will be running at about 80%. As with all concentrators, the purity goes down the closer you get to running at 100%. The M-10 putting out 10LPM at 10 PSI for under $600 brand spanking new is awesome. That's like 2 regular concentrators. The M-20 puting out 10 LPM at 20 PSI for under $900 is friggin awesome! I hope they work like they should. The company seems to be on the up and up. I saw them at a show and while they are new to this, they seem to be in it for the long haul and really concerned about putting out quality units. I'll be a guinea pig at that price.
You keep saying that these are new units. I asked this in an other thread:

Are you sure? I remember when we debuted these machines at the Gathering and I was excited about them, especially the price. At first, I was unclear as to whether these units were new or reconditioned. Paulette, from Suncoast, pointed out to me the cost of a new unit, and it was right there with the OGSI and Integra medical units. We asked the company (So. Central Cryo - Jerry Butler was the contact at the time - now he is with OGSI) and were told that they were reconditioned. That would make sense, given the price.

Here are a few new ones that I found:
http://www.oxymaster.net/shp.php?prid=1203&lgid=en

http://www.dmeonline.com/oxygen.htmlscroll down for the M10

http://www.michdmc.com/zen/index.php...products_id=27

I guess that with a great warranty, it might not matter whether the unit is new or reconditioned (unless, of course, they are DOA and you have to send them back to be replaced... that would be a huge hassle). If I were buying one from somebody, I would like for it to be represented to me honestly and accurately. BTW, I believe that you really believe these are new.
Old 2006-03-03, 10:43am
boro color bender

Just talked to Jack and you are absolutely correct. The unit itself is not brand spanking new. They get used Millenium units made by Respironics. They completely rebiuld them. This means new seive beds, new compressors, new switching valves... any thing they need currently or that would need to be replaced is done. Any parts they put on are new, so all the important "guts" are new. I am so stoked to be getting two next week to run on my new Cuda... should be a perfect match!

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-03-03 at 10:55am.
Old 2006-03-03, 10:47am
boro color bender

I guess I really should have double checked, but these units will have zero hours on the important parts, so I consider that "new" for it's purpose of lampworking oxygen supply. I don't really care if the unit is not actually fresh out of an injection mold.

Old 2006-03-03, 10:56am
boro color bender

Step in here Jack (Oxydoc) and tell them all about it.

Old 2006-03-03, 11:13am
PyronamixK

Thanks for clearing that up, Brent. And, congratulations on your new stuff.
Old 2006-03-03, 12:06pm
boro color bender

Thanks Kimberly. I can't wait to not have an oxy bill!!!

Old 2006-03-03, 6:00pm

Hello All, Yes Brent is right. All of our oxyunits are completely refurbished, modified to meet your needs and tested for hours. Most are tested on torches to duplicate what we are hearing from our customers. We are working with many big names in the bead making and glass blowing industry to insure that we are all we can be. We are growing and we stand behind every single unit we sell. We are looking forward to working with everyone in the industry to deliver what you want and need. We have many great ideas in the works and some new exciting products on my work bench. Please feel free to holler at me with ideas questions and complaints. And Brent, Thanks for the good word. We wont let you down. jack
Old 2006-03-09, 6:17am

Hi Oxydoc

These look pretty impressive. I do have a few questions:

1. When will the new M-30's be available, what are the specs and how much will they cost?
2. Can you give some details on your extended warranties?
3. How are your units "modified"?

Thanks!
Old 2006-03-09, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK

1. When will the new M-30's be available, what are the specs and how much will they cost?

Thanks!
Great questions. I look forward to the responses as well.

I am currently running an Onyx+ generator for my Lynx. It works great for boro beads and I am only running it at 60 - 65%! It's optimal output for purity is at 70% which runs 8lpm at 20psi. Running it any higher will give even greater numbers but might decrease the purity. (This info came directly from the folks who make the machine.)

Kari
Old 2006-03-09, 4:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK
Hi Oxydoc

These look pretty impressive. I do have a few questions:

Thanks!
Hi Patty, The new M-30 will be called the Psyclone I and Psyclone II. The psyclone I is a 20 psi 20 liter per minute unit, the Psyclone II is the same unit with an added feature that we call "Air Assist". It will be powered by an outside air compressor (yours) and it has the capability of producing 30 liters per minute at 40 psi. There is an outlet for each feature and with both running at the same time, it will produce 50 liters per minute. Im not sure of the price. You will be able to buy it without the air assist if you dont need the extra boost. Our warranties are 65.00 per year and that covers everything but shipping. Our M10 and M20 is a modified medical unit. We rebuild the compressors and replace the molecular sieve so that we can safely bump up the outlet pressures and still maintain good puritys. Thanks for your interest. jack
Old 2006-03-09, 8:52pm
PyronamixK

Wow, Jack, that sounds great! What kind of purity does the Psyclone II get at 40 psi?
Old 2006-03-09, 9:31pm
boro color bender

Purity isn't an issue with higher pressure as much as it is with higher volumes. I think you mean to ask what the purity is at 30 LPM. It's the higher volume that normally brings down percentages or purity.

Old 2006-03-09, 11:15pm
PyronamixK

When we test ran the M-10 at the Gathering, the harder we pushed it (pressure-wise), the lower the purity would be (lower, but still acceptable). I am curious about the M-30 with the pressure assist and how the purity holds up.
Old 2006-03-10, 3:55am
boro color bender

I believe the only thing you can adjust without opening up the machine is the volume (LPM). That's probably what you were adjusting at the gathering. The pressure (PSI) is adjusted inside the unit, with an allen wrench. If you mess with that, you have to make several other ajustments to the machine to put everything else in ballance. Correct me if I am wrong on this one Jack.

Was the machine opened up with a guy tinkering inside the box Kimberly?

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-03-10 at 9:41am.
Old 2006-03-10, 4:11am
boro color bender

I'd also like to add that through talking with these guys, I've really been impressed with their knowledge, honesty and customer service. The units have had problems in the past... they are in uncharted territory, where this is expected. They have the major bugs worked out and the new units are not like the ones from a year ago... I'm 100% satisfied that they will take care of anything else if it pops up with a professional and courteous attitude. I just get a good feeling talking to these guys.

I'm really excited for our industry. I know some of the torch companies are excited. This really does mean a lot for boro workers and large torches. It's been pretty easy to get a good unlimited oxygen source for soft glass work for a while. Now, these guys are making that and affordable choice for boro workers and larger torches. It's really commendable to be a pioneer in a feild like ours. Sure, there's money to be made, but not so much that it's your only reason. You've also got to love what you are doing. Jack made the comment to me on the phone the other day, that he'd tinker with and build these for free. It's fun for him! Of course he gets paid, but he's passionate about oxygen concentrators. I can relate, because I feel the same way about glass. I'd melt it for free! Thank goodness I get paid, explaining all this euipment to my wife would be a losing battle otherwise.