LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-11-14, 11:56am

I try to only buy supplies on sale, I figure since I am a beginner its better to get items as cheap as possible. I have yet to buy a kiln but check the local adds daily looking for a deal. I am lucky my husband finds it interesting and is supportive of an etsy page someday. If your hobby/bead business makes you happy...you can't put a price on that.
Old 2021-11-14, 2:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewall View Post
I try to only buy supplies on sale, I figure since I am a beginner its better to get items as cheap as possible. I have yet to buy a kiln but check the local adds daily looking for a deal. I am lucky my husband finds it interesting and is supportive of an etsy page someday. If your hobby/bead business makes you happy...you can't put a price on that.
I actually started out melting bottle and sheet glass. I didn't actually buy any glass for the first year. I got a good understanding of how glass melts and moves without worrying about wasting glass.

Once I started buying glass, I made very small beads (less than 1/2") and took them to a studio to be annealed. I lost very few just putting them in vermiculite to cool down.
Old 2024-01-03, 5:57pm

Default Indeed!

Great thread as I am in the newb category. HH, no kiln, fan for ventilation, using small gas canisters, simply just the worst setup except for my workbench which I had built for something else but never used. I really love doing this but I have to prove to myself that I can improve my skills and make it worthwhile to start the upgrade process. Lying to friends and family about what I spend was mentioned in this thread and I have been laughing since I read it. Yep! That's me! I am brand new to this forum. Just signed up about 30 minutes ago after another bead-making attempt. Since I am using blanket for annealing, I still do not know exactly how well my 2 beads came out. Best I can say about this past session is that I've discovered that bead release is not terribly hard to wash out of your hair and clothes. !$#%&!
Old 2024-01-03, 8:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by derweasel View Post
Great thread as I am in the newb category. HH, no kiln, fan for ventilation, using small gas canisters, simply just the worst setup except for my workbench which I had built for something else but never used. I really love doing this but I have to prove to myself that I can improve my skills and make it worthwhile to start the upgrade process. Lying to friends and family about what I spend was mentioned in this thread and I have been laughing since I read it. Yep! That's me! I am brand new to this forum. Just signed up about 30 minutes ago after another bead-making attempt. Since I am using blanket for annealing, I still do not know exactly how well my 2 beads came out. Best I can say about this past session is that I've discovered that bead release is not terribly hard to wash out of your hair and clothes. !$#%&!
You've been initiated then if you're washing out bead release. I didn't have a kiln for several years and as long as you keep them small and don't mix COE, you're good.
Old 2024-01-04, 9:02am

Some people have success using a hot comb stove, which is essentially a tiny electrical oven. From what I've heard they get to about 850F so you flame anneal as best you can then stick them in the oven to soak for a bit then shut off. Not sure how it compare to fiber blanket but it's another option.