Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-11-06, 6:42pm

OK, I'm NOT a tutorial ho, but being a fan of all the whimzicalities creatures for a few years now (I have 2 aliens standing guard in my studio), I just HAD to have this one. Can't wait to start playing with it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-07, 4:02am
It's all good.

Maria,

I just love this tutorial.. I can't wait to make them.

I have a (probably silly) question ...

I have never heard of Copper Patina -- I may have, and mistakenly thought they meant Liver of Sulpher... LOL!

It will make the solder and the wire look like copper, right?

Is it something I could get at Hobby lobby or a hardware store? And... is it called Copper Patina or does it have another name... so when I ask for it they'll know what I am talking about. LOL!!!

Thanks!

Old 2008-11-07, 5:10am

I think the patina make the copper look different, not bright and shiny. I think I need some patina recipes too.
I have a new solder iron, some flux, beads to spare, just waiting for wire to arrive and solder. I will be ready to go then!

Kym
Old 2008-11-07, 10:31am
Who me?

Usually you need to get copper patina at stained glass supply stores.
Old 2008-11-07, 11:10am
just another tool fool...

Hi All,

I've always purchased my solder and flux at the local stained glass supply store, but for those of you who don't plan on doing stained glass, or just want to try it to see how the mouse, I just got in some little 1/2 oz bottles...a little goes a long way. I need to figure out a price and find out what shipping will run. I'm pretty sure it has to be shipped via 1st class mail and that I can't ship it overseas. I'm putting kits together of all of the essentials...mandrels, wire, flux, solder, patina, and flux remover. I'll keep the price reasonable, too.

Click banner for my Etsy:

Last edited by whimzicalities; 2008-11-07 at 11:28am.
Old 2008-11-07, 3:57pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

yipee i snagged one!

Jenny

Old 2008-11-07, 6:06pm
It's all good.

Well I ordered stuff from Delphi, the copper patina is actually called 'copper patina' LOL!!
And Delphi has everything!!! Cool site btw...

Tomorrow I'll get some solder locally, so I don't have to wait.

I have been waiting all week for the weekend to get here so I can do this!!!

Old 2008-11-07, 8:27pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I just read through it and thouroughly enjoyed myself. I know it will be even better when I actually make one. Thanks so much Maria! I love the links you included to find everything.

Jenny

Old 2008-11-07, 9:40pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I got all the parts and pieces bent up for 4 mice, I hope to have time tomorrow to solder them up. Can't wait to see their personality's develop. Photos to come.

Old 2008-11-08, 8:49am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimzicalities View Post
Hi All,

I'm putting kits together of all of the essentials...mandrels, wire, flux, solder, patina, and flux remover. I'll keep the price reasonable, too.

Whoo Hoo Hoo! One stop shopping - me like!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-11-08, 12:02pm

Default trouble getting solder to stick?

I've done stained glass for years so I feel a little silly asking this, but is anyone having trouble getting the solder to stick to the copper? I'm using the same flux I've used for stained glass, copper wire and your standard solder, and the solder just balls up and rolls right off the foot. I can't get it to stick. Does flux go bad? Could the wire I bought not really be copper (although it is labeled as such. I got it from Michael's). Please help!!

Old 2008-11-08, 3:14pm

Hi Blair,

It sounds to me as though the wire is most likely coated with an anti-tarnishing agent such as lacquer. You could check this by scraping a knife blade along the wire and see if anything flakes up. Also if the wire has any kind of an oily film that could prevent the solder from sticking as well. A few times years ago I tried to use craft wire such as that made by Darice and wasn't able to solder it due to the coating on it.

Also, make sure you're cleaning your wire very well with steel wool or really fine sand paper. This will make it easier for the solder to stick. I hope this helps. I'll PM this to you as well.

Old 2008-11-08, 9:55pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Ok, Maria, you made me do it!! Can't wait to make one of these...now from one who lives in the boonies, do you have an idea when you will have the kits ready???
Thanks so much, Pat
Old 2008-11-09, 12:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
Ok, Maria, you made me do it!! Can't wait to make one of these...now from one who lives in the boonies, do you have an idea when you will have the kits ready???
Thanks so much, Pat
I picked up the brushes today, so I have enough stuff to put kits together tomorrow for shipping on Monday. I still need to add everything up and see what it will run, but it will be far less than what you'd spend ordering a ton of stuff online. I promise to keep you posted and I'll put some up here on LE in the classified section when they're ready!

Old 2008-11-09, 12:59am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, Maria,....hope I didn't keep you up!! I received my tut, so I will read it and be ready to order asap!!
Thanks again, Pat
Old 2008-11-09, 6:22am
Detail G-Mama!

This is an awesome tutorial! Great job! Now I can make a pet for my 2 aliens that can sit with them on top of my little tv/radio! Thanks so much for doing this Maria, I've loved your critters for years!

Old 2008-11-09, 6:17pm
It's all good.

I made 2 little mice today, they are very cute, I just love 'em.

I could not get the solder to ball up on the eye wires, so I just glued them on.

I have never soldered anything before, and your directions were terrific.. Thanks again for making this tutorial available, I had a blast!!!

Old 2008-11-09, 7:17pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I made one mouse today and he is sooo cute but also had trouble getting the solder ball on the eye wire. One went on fine the other I fought and fought. I have soldered before and didn't have trouble with the fabulous instructions besides eyeballs. Maybe I cut my eye wires to short? Would this make the solder not stick?

Old 2008-11-09, 7:44pm

Peg and Tracy,

I'm glad to hear you had fun putting your mice together. I have given this some thought. I have trouble sometimes too, depending on what type of flux I'm using. If you are able to turn your soldering iron about 1/3 of the way, it is easier to ball the solder up. You could also try leaving the ends a little bit long and folding them back over to give the solder a bigger area to stick to.

You could also take your smallest gauge wire and wrap a loop or 2 around the eye wire. Don't cut the loose end off, but hold onto it to keep your loops in place. Flux, tack solder, crimp a bit with pliers to get the end down and re-flux. I'll try to get a pic up of what I mean here, but I need to build a mouse to the point where his eyes are ready to go on...I'm in the midst of homework now, but will try to do it before tomorrow evening.

Last edited by whimzicalities; 2008-11-09 at 7:55pm.
Old 2008-11-09, 10:56pm

Maria,
My husband and I made one together this afternoon and it was great fun! The little critter turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself. Great directions and a very fun project. Thank you!

Old 2008-11-10, 3:43am
It's all good.

Thanks Maria, I the extra wire wraps around the eye wire would work great. I'll try that for sure!

Old 2008-11-13, 7:40am

Hey All,

I finally pulled the kit together for this tutorial. The kit contains everything on the materials list except the lampwork beads, paper towels, hand tools, polish and soldering iron:

The kit contains:

Recycled wire for 3 mice
An assortment of beads for eyes
steel wool
1 oz. of 60/40 solder
1/2 oz. flux
1/2 oz. flux remover
1/2 oz. copper patina
brush
cotton swabs
sponge
leg and nose mandrels
cotton rag
6x8 tile for soldering surface

Because the liquids are corrosive, due to postal regulations, this can only be shipped via surface mail (Parcel Post), so no overseas orders, please. Shipping within the US is $7 and includes delivery confirmation.

I'll post these in the Classifieds here on LE.

Old 2008-11-13, 8:20am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, Maria, this is great!!
Pat
Old 2008-11-13, 6:27pm
Dangerous Woman

I think I have one of those tools you use for wood burning. Do you think I could use that as a soldering iron?

Ordered my kit!

Stalking threads DOES pay off!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.

Last edited by playswithfire104; 2008-11-13 at 6:30pm.
Old 2008-11-13, 7:39pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Ok, one more question......I have never soldered before and don't know what priced iron I should buy. I see them from $10-70 ....and there is one at Harbor Freight that says cold...Does it really matter???
Thanks anyone, Pat
Old 2008-11-13, 8:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Are you making any more kits? The one listed is sold

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-13, 9:13pm
I speak Murrini!

Also, Maria, how much are the kits themselves? I know once something sells, the price is no longer indicated...Just thought you might want to post here, too, so people can get their funds together!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-13, 9:24pm
I speak Murrini!

Pat...

I'd suggest you get one that plugs in - you'll probably find it more durable and versatile if you decide to ever do even small stained-glass type of work, such as small photos sandwiched between sheet glass with soldered edges and the like.

There's this one at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47887

And this one at Michael's:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=gc0420

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Let's see what Maria and others say, though - this is just my opinion!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-13, 9:25pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hi De, I am pretty sure I saw yesterday it was $20.00 plus $7.00 shipping. And as for my question, I finished reading the tut, duhhh, and saw the answers.
Pat
Old 2008-11-13, 9:26pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, De, we were posting at the same time!! I will check them out.
Pat