Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-01-25, 1:37pm

Default Village code says NO OXY 4 YOU

So it turns out my village government is full of jerks who say it would be to dangerous for an oxygen tank to be in a residential home. I have been wanting to upgrade from a HH for a while now and even have a lead on a good second hand torch for cheap, the only thing in my way is the oxygen tank. I do however have a couple of scuba tanks lying around in my basement.

My ? is, Would the added air from the scuba tank supply enough Oxy to melt hard glass, or would it make working with soft glass faster?
Old 2009-01-25, 2:09pm
Button Queen

I really don't think scuba tanks are going to work. They certainly won't last long at all.

You'd probably do best to look into an oxygen concentrator.
Old 2009-01-25, 2:16pm

Your village won't let you have oxy tanks...thats just stupid. They're really not that dangerous. Just make sure they are secure. I know that the pressure can send it through a wall or two but you would be amazed at what it actually takes to pop the valve off the top of a tank.
Old 2009-01-25, 6:22pm

What about people on medical oxy? Do they allow those people to have their medical supplies?

Kym
Old 2009-01-25, 10:11pm
FireBeads

I saw your other post....are you trying to get the tank delivered? I know they won't deliver to a residential area here but I can pick it up and use it at my house legally. Oxy tanks aren't that unusual, lots of people use them for medical reasons. It's usually the propane municipalities have trouble agreeing to.
Old 2009-01-26, 8:59am
Mary Lockwood

Get yourself an oxygen concentrator. They pay for themselves right quick. Especially since you are just now upgrading to a fuel/oxy torch you might have quite a long while before you are wanting to go bigger and hotter and use tanked oxy. Tanked is sweeeet, but a concentrator will do you fine and avoid the fight with the village. If you get all hyped up on working big, you can always add another concentrator or a big generator to power up your flame later on.

Good luck!
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-26, 9:05am

What Mary said.

The devilbiss unit has worked great for me. Here is a link where I got mine.

http://p5.hostingprod.com/@hobbiesfo...entrators.html
Old 2009-01-26, 9:18am

SCUBA tanks are just air, designed to let you breathe normally underwater. It is not the oxygen concentration level that you need for torch combustion.

I agree you should look into an oxygen concentrator. They pay for themselves in short order.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-01-26, 9:46pm

Its the amount of oxy the gov. is being an ass about, smaller tanks are okay

Im 19 and poor so no concentrator, at least not now

I know scuba tanks are air, thats why i asked if it gave the extra kick to melt hard glass OR MELT SOFT FASTER. Not to be mean but, If i have the scuba tanks in my basement i sure as hell should hope i know they're air, if i thought they were oxy why would i ask (please 4give me if you just said that for anyone else who was reading)?
Old 2009-01-26, 9:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Air will not help you melt anything faster on a regular dual fuel torch.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-26, 9:52pm
jessica barksdale

once you pay for a deposit on your rental oxy tank, delivery fees, & fill fees, you're almost half way to a used oxy con anyway. check out http://www.hobbiesforus.com/ they have some real decent prices.

also, try calling some nursing/retirement homes -- sometimes they have ones no longer suitable for medical use or just taking up space because a patient has died, & usually they'll sell them to you on the cheap or just give it to you to free up some space.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-01-26, 10:19pm
*Desa Elliott*

Default Tell the village people to shove, erm, never mind....

I debated long and hard about this question when I set up our studio as well. We purchased the Oxycon, and have never regretted it. the best advice that I can give you is to get an M-15, or the "biggest" capacity that you can, even is you have to save for awhile to afford it. There are a lot of reputable dealers out there, Reenie from Flamekissed Glass comes to mind - we deal with her all of the time and have never had a negative experience, ever.

BTW, the M-15 will run two torches, and even do boro if you get into that. I know right now you might not be interested in that part of the glass experience, but this hobby will pull you into places you never though you would go!

Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun with your set-up, and no regrets. I apologize to everyone that is loyal to their HotHead, (), but when you step up to a larger torch, a whole world opens up for you.

Let all of us opinionated peeps know what you decide. It is fun to compare notes, and you will have questions, I am sure. We are here to help, or further confuse, whichever comes first....

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-01-28, 1:08am

What difference does it make if you have a large oxy tank vs. a small oxy tank. Your gov. is weird...glad i'm not part of that little society.
Old 2009-01-28, 5:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petri.matt View Post
Its the amount of oxy the gov. is being an ass about, smaller tanks are okay

Im 19 and poor so no concentrator, at least not now

I know scuba tanks are air, thats why i asked if it gave the extra kick to melt hard glass OR MELT SOFT FASTER. Not to be mean but, If i have the scuba tanks in my basement i sure as hell should hope i know they're air, if i thought they were oxy why would i ask (please 4give me if you just said that for anyone else who was reading)?

I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. I just wasn't sure if you understood that what you're going for is OXYGEN CONCENTRATION amount and that SCUBA's are only air. Tanked Air and Tanked Oxygen are two different things.

And I understand budgets but if you look at the cost of filling an oxygen tank, it won't take long before an oxy-con pays for itself. All the oxy after that is the equivalent of free. Look around... you may find one for $250 or less. Call a nursing home and ask if they have any that are no longer rated for human use. They have to get rid of them. They may have a service or they may be able to let you have one cheap. Different states have different rules about that sort of thing.

Again, I did not intend to offend you.

Sue
and the present is a gift.