Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-11-27, 12:37pm

Default 'Roly Poly' Bead Tutorial

Hello everyone!

People are always asking me how I make my 'Roly Poly' beads so I've written a tutorial for them. This is what my Roly Poly beads look like :

They're relatively simple beads to make but you will need good heat control and nimble mandrel-turning fingers! You'll also need a lentil press, a graphite paddle and some mashers.

The six page PDF tutorial costs £4.99 GBP (about $8.00 USD) and is available here : http://www.beadsbylaura.co.uk/BBLDownloads.htm

Thanks and best wishes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beadsbylaura; 2009-11-27 at 12:41pm.
Old 2009-11-27, 12:57pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are really cool!

Old 2009-11-27, 2:06pm
Beadmaking.nl

I have ordered one! Thank you Laura, also for the free encasing tutorials.

Old 2009-11-27, 2:14pm

Thanks ladies!

Old 2009-11-27, 2:42pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I ordered one these look fun and I love the layered look.

Old 2009-11-27, 3:07pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

HOW amazing I love the look when I get paid I will def be buying one!!!!

Old 2009-11-28, 2:48am
I speak Murrini!

Ooo, couldn't resist! Love the way they look - the PINK especially!Thanks for offering it! Looking forward to receiving it.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-11-28, 3:34am

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And a big thanks to everyone who has bought a copy of the tutorial.

De - the pink ones are made with opaque pink Effetre and transparent Effetre 082 (Rose) with a smattering of Dark Petal Pink enamel.

Old 2009-11-28, 1:49pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooo, just got my tutorial and I LOVE IT! What a wonderful technique! Girl...I'm definitely gonna try this in the next day or two - can't wait! I appreciate the guidance too on the color scheme. I think I have those colors (maybe not the trans. rose, though...mine might be too light ) but would be so happy if I can pull something close to these off!

Yummie!

De

Old 2009-11-28, 3:15pm

You're welcome, De!

Have fun with the Roly Polys and post some pics if you get a chance. I'd love to see what you all come up with!

Old 2009-11-28, 3:27pm
Noobie

Ok..in hopes of Not sounding like a dunce...nimble mandrel-turning fingers..is not some tool that I have never heard of is it??
Old 2009-11-28, 3:53pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
Ok..in hopes of Not sounding like a dunce...nimble mandrel-turning fingers..is not some tool that I have never heard of is it??
Oh, Cherie...NO! It's not a "secret weapon" nor do I THINK you need an EMS (Electric Mandrel Spinner); Thumb and Forefinger - either hand - should suffice!

De

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-11-28 at 4:15pm.
Old 2009-11-28, 4:56pm
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oh, Cherie...NO! It's not a "secret weapon" nor do I THINK you need an EMS (Electric Mandrel Spinner); Thumb and Forefinger - either hand - should suffice!

De

HA Ha...okay..Thanks De!
Old 2009-11-28, 5:00pm
Noobie

I bought one..I was one of those people who had asked laura to write a tutorial on these type of beads...I love the look and I have a ton of ideas for color combo's..cant wait to get it!!
Old 2009-11-28, 9:38pm

Just ordered my copy. Can't wait to play.
Old 2009-11-28, 9:53pm
Creatrixie

Nifty stuff, Laura! Can't wait to see other people's beads that are inspired by your Tut!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-11-28, 10:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Heading to the torch armed with this tut! Will post if they come out well...wish me luck!

De

Old 2009-11-28, 10:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, and I have a question about technique - will PM it to keep the magic of your tut FRESH!

De

Old 2009-11-29, 1:48am

Ha, thanks De!

Hi Cherie - when I say 'nimble-mandrel turning fingers' I don't mean that you've got to act like a baton twirler or anything. I mean that the glass gets pretty hot at one point and you need to be able to control your mandrel turning so that you don't drop molten glass everywhere.

Hope that helps!

Old 2009-11-29, 1:54am
Kerry

Just brought a copy, waiting waiting ......

Click the banner to visiti the store

Old 2009-11-29, 3:14am

Hi Kerry

I've sent out all paid for PDFs (I woke up and had a wodge to email out) so you should have yours. Check your spam/bulk mail folder. If it doesn't arrive soon, give me a shout.

Cheers!

Old 2009-11-29, 3:24am
Kerry

Hi Laura, I am so sorry. I did not mean that I was waiting for you to send it, because you hadn't! I was saying that I was excitedly waiting. I had only just that moment ordered it Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, when I saw your reply, I did check my emails and spam, nothing yet.

Old 2009-11-29, 3:25am

No no, no misunderstanding! I just know what it's like waiting for email.

I'll resend now .....

Old 2009-11-29, 3:29am
Kerry

Got it thanks

Old 2009-11-29, 3:44am
Noobie

Very cool Tutoiral Laura..thanks for doing this and offering at such a reasonable price! I have to go get ready for work now..Grr..,,,,.I wish I could go torch..darn it anyhow..
Old 2009-11-29, 4:19am

Kerry - good good! Enjoy!

Thanks Cherie - happy melting!

Old 2009-11-29, 9:58am
Sorry for party rockin'

I LOVE those beads!! I remember seeing and admiring them awhile ago . . . do you have an Etsy store?? Maybe I stumbled upon your website and thought they were really cool

Old 2009-11-29, 11:49am

Hi Ginny

I used to have an Etsy store but only as an experiment for a month or so. I do all my bead sales via my website.

Cheers!

Old 2009-11-29, 1:10pm
Bead Imp

Ohh, just ordered! I can't wait to try it!

Old 2009-11-29, 1:15pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You need to start a separate thread for people to show what they've
made using your tutorial! I LOVE to see people's interpretations on
the same thing!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book