No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-20, 9:11am

Default Cooling Fin Melted??

Hello!
I love lampworking and have been collecting equipment as my budget allows. Lampwork Etc has been a godsend for learning as I go. Usually I find answers by searching old posts, but on this one came up empty. Can anyone help?
I acquired a second-hand Nortel torch a few years ago but just recently got my studio set up and running. After three uses, I noticed that the front end of the torch looked odd. Don’t know whether it looked that way when I got it or not.
After brief research, I've figured out that the part that looks damaged is the cooling fin. First question: is it safe to use torch this way? Second question: is this “normal wear?” Other thoughts?
I'm going to try and upload an image but haven't done that before. Hope it comes through!
Thanks!
Ellabeth
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-20, 9:28am

What the heck? It looks like something is wrapped around the torch face to me. I can't quite make it out. That's not metal is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-20, 9:48am

This is not an uncommon problem. Through bumping and handling, the cooling fin came loose and slid forward past the end of the torch. That's why it has melted.

You have several options:

1) Loosen the screws that hold the torch to the base uprights and slide the cooling fin back into place. Re-tighten the screws. The cooling fin will work fine, even if it is melted on the end. If it won't slide back over the torch end, you may have to take a round file and open the mouth of the cooling fin a bit.

2) Remove the cooling fin all together. You may have to figure out another way to mount the torch to the base uprights, though.

3) Contact Nortel and get a new cooling fin.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-09-20, 9:55am
Formerly Bakerman44

that's intense...i bet it turned in to a premix with the cooling fin that far forward!

Old 2011-09-20, 9:55am
Curmudgeon Engineering

That is NOT normal. It indicates you have not been using incorrect flame settings and have melted that portion of the cooling fins where it is deformed. It probably wont hurt to use it that way except that your flame will not be semetrical and you will probably do further damage. I believe it needs to be sent in to the factory for this repair. This has happened and been mmentioned here before and I believe it is caused by the fins getting loose and sliding forward due to incorrect flame settings as I mentioned.
PJH
Old 2011-09-20, 11:13am

Thank you, thank you everyone!

It's nice to know where to go from here...and that it's NOT a new situation.
Great info, much appreciated!
Old 2011-09-20, 11:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
What the heck? It looks like something is wrapped around the torch face to me. I can't quite make it out. That's not metal is it?

Yes, it's actually the end of the cooling fin. I think made out of aluminum?
Old 2011-09-20, 11:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
that's intense...i bet it turned in to a premix with the cooling fin that far forward!

That sounds vaguely dangerous. Yikes.
I'm wondering if I actually "fumed" a few beads with aluminum? Is that possible?
Old 2011-09-20, 11:30am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
Yes it could be, there was some BOGUS torches that were made to look like the minor but instead of being surface mix, the were premix.... IT is possible it is a imitation....

OR its a real minor with just a problem with cooling fins having slid forward....

This is what it "should" look like....

(ignore arrow it was to indicate something else)

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-09-20 at 11:34am.
Old 2011-09-20, 11:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloGollo View Post
Yes, it's actually the end of the cooling fin. I think made out of aluminum?
I've never seen anything like it! But then again, I don't own a Nortel torch. These guys know their stuff, great people we have here! Good luck with it!

Old 2011-09-20, 3:18pm

[quote=ArtcoInc;3716824]This is not an uncommon problem. Through bumping and handling, the cooling fin came loose and slid forward past the end of the torch. That's why it has melted.

Yes, that fits the history of my torch. Has been in the basement getting bumped around for a few years. Was probably OK in the beginning and in spite of how careful I thought I was being about everything in my set-up....the position of the fin was outside my radar.
That was bad enough...even worse, I tried to remove the fin as per your instructions, and it won't budge. Apparently welded to the torch head by the bad positioning.
Perhaps a sign (to me) from above...."no lampwork for you!!!"
I am bummed.
Old 2011-09-20, 3:48pm

Ella, if you bang on it a little, it will probably loosen up. Keep wiggling it and it will come off. Once it is off, I found it easier just to cut the end of the cooling fin off. It looks a little strange, but still works just fine. Remember in the future to make sure the tip of the torch is protruding beyond the fin.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2011-09-20, 3:50pm
tweetysweetie

I had a minor in my classroom in Vegas that did that, the cooling fin had slid forward and I didn't catch it in time before the student started torching, didn't take long for the tip was completely melted...what Malcom said, easy fix unless it welded itself to something.

Old 2011-09-20, 3:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Yes it could be, there was some BOGUS torches that were made to look like the minor but instead of being surface mix, the were premix.... IT is possible it is a imitation....

Dale
That is what I was thinking!!! Where did you get the torch? There were a bunch of knock off minors on ebay a few years ago!!!! When people used them that is what happened.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-09-22, 5:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Ella, if you bang on it a little, it will probably loosen up. Keep wiggling it and it will come off. Once it is off, I found it easier just to cut the end of the cooling fin off. It looks a little strange, but still works just fine. Remember in the future to make sure the tip of the torch is protruding beyond the fin.

It was so bad it wouldn't even wiggle! I managed to get the piece off the torch by cutting slots in the fin with a hacksaw and then bending the fin tip back with pliers. I'm not sure if I should still use the cooling fin, since I lost a good sized chunk of it? Melted/cut off a half inch, probably. Frantz carries a replacement for $23.
I will definitely check the placement every time I fire up now!
Thanks!
Old 2011-09-22, 5:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
I had a minor in my classroom in Vegas that did that, the cooling fin had slid forward and I didn't catch it in time before the student started torching, didn't take long for the tip was completely melted...what Malcom said, easy fix unless it welded itself to something.

It looked so major....happy it turned out to be minor. I've read so many things about torching, but this is one thing I learned strictly from experience. Newbies keep life interesting, and we are ever so grateful for the feedback from the "Been There Done That" crowd.
Old 2011-09-22, 5:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
That is what I was thinking!!! Where did you get the torch? There were a bunch of knock off minors on ebay a few years ago!!!! When people used them that is what happened.
It is stamped with "Nortel" in a couple of places so I think it's bona fide. I just didn't pay enough attention to how it looked when I set it up. It's funny, tho, because while I was torching I kept thinking "This doesn't seem quite right...". But I just chalked it up to being a little rusty from not torching in awhile, or just needing to get used to a new setup.

Last edited by RolloGollo; 2011-09-22 at 5:49pm. Reason: Typo
Old 2011-09-23, 12:32pm

ArtCo has it right.... There is only one bolt / screw that holds the end of the cooling fin, preventing it from sliding forward. This has nothing to do with bad flame settings or mis-use of any kind. The torch itself and jets will be fine.... It is simply an aluminum piece that slides over the jet body.
If you need help, PM me.
Ron
Old 2011-09-23, 1:15pm
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloGollo View Post
I'm not sure if I should still use the cooling fin, since I lost a good sized chunk of it? Melted/cut off a half inch, probably. Frantz carries a replacement for $23.
You don't need it. It's just there for looks, really. It's so loose of a fit (normally) that there is little to no heat conduction to it. The Minor rider on a Major doesn't even have this piece.

No fancy signature yet.