Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-06-27, 2:46am

Exclamation Advice on a starter torch

Hey guys. I have a friend at the moment who wants to learn with me and everything. He wants to buy his own torch though to learn on. He is looking to spend about $250 on the torch. I learned and own a Redmax so I never really had to worry about the whole starter torch setup. What would you guys say is the best torch in that range? I don't think he will have anymore money than that to spend so preferably be at the price maybe a little more I would help him out. We were looking at maybe the GTT Bobcat. It is $195 and says it can do medium to small work as that is what he says he wants to do is pendants and small marbles like .5-1". Thanks for any input guys.

Oscar
Old 2013-06-27, 7:45am

aren't you the one trying to sell the midrange? sell him that! a great starter torch.
Old 2013-06-27, 8:35am

I just posted some items for sale.
A Cuda and two Wale Firebirds.

Old 2013-06-27, 9:12am

Exclamation

I sold my Midrange today and I am buying a Lynx. So sadly that isn't a option.
Old 2013-06-27, 9:21am

i still say that's downgrading
Old 2013-06-27, 9:26am
Sheila Davis Designs

You can get a Nortel Minor for under $200.00. I started with this one and still use it 4 years later.
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=1845

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-06-27, 9:50am
I'm meeeeelting

At that price, he's going to be limited to the entry level torches, unless he can find a great deal on something used. Any of them should be able to handle pendants and small marbles. What's his oxy source? If it's limited, a Cricket may be the best option. If it's not, add the minor, alpha, mini cc and bobcat to the list. I'm sure there are a few others out there, too. At some point it comes down to difference in flame characteristics (bushy and more diffused heat vs hot and pinpointy) with the cricket at one end of the spectrum - and, I'd guess the alpha given that Bethlehem torches tend toward the hot and pointy -- to the mini cc at the other end (lots of radiant heat, less hot flame) with the minor and bobcat in the middle).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-06-27, 10:33am
kinda torching....

there is always the national 8m, you can put many many different tips for different flanes whetger it be surface mixed or premixed
Old 2013-06-27, 11:57am
one day at a time

I'm so glad you mentioned the GTT Bobcat! It's perfect for a starter torch for those who are leaning toward boro. The GTT torches have a sharper and more focused flame that melts boro faster than other small torches. It is hotter than the Cricket, and the newest models are an improvement over the older one that I have.

I made this bead when I was a boro brand-newbie, and it's not really that small, considering my soft glass beads are no more than 11-12mm! lol! It took me about 15 minutes to make it, including mixing the swirled cane.

Old 2013-07-02, 9:51am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Don't forget that as is the case with most tool setups the main tool, the torch, is just the beginning. He'll need hoses, regulators, oxy from somewhere, propane tank, glasses, hand tools, glass, a work bench space with ventilation, mandrels (or not), and on and on.

It adds up fast.

PJH
Old 2013-07-14, 3:24pm
Covered in glitter

Cricket or a Bobcat. I have both and LOVE each of them. They both work great on a 5L concentrator although you get more from the Bobcat with about 8L. I'd definitely go with either of those.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche