Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How bad was your worst burn?
I've had up to 1st degree burns-Pink to red skin, mild swelling, pain, 3-5 days to heal 152 27.49%
I've had Up to 2nd degree burns-Bright skin, moderate swelling, pain, blisters, 2-6 weeks to heal 191 34.54%
Up to 3rd degree-white/brown/yellow/black skin,severe swelling, little/no pain, weeks to heal. 149 26.94%
Up to 4th degree-black leathery skin, no pain/swelling, months to heal. 20 3.62%
I've had no burns. I'm way too careful (or have safety gear) 58 10.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-07-12, 1:08am
Old to LE, new to torch

Default Who has NOT REALLY burned yourself?

Boy, after reading the horrors of that other thread, I need to hear that there are some lampworkers out there who don't have these battle scars.

Oops, 2nd degree option was supposed to say bright RED skin.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EaglesLegacy; 2008-07-12 at 1:24am.
Old 2008-07-12, 4:52am

Default Lampworking for one year on a hothead..........

I hate to say this. You know the old saying 'tempting fate.' In my lampworking I have had only 1st degree burns so far. I assumed that is what you were asking so that is what I voted.

BUT I have had some rather severe burns. The worst was my 1st or 2nd year in college just before finals week. We were having a formal dinner with parents. There were candles on the buffet table and we had paper plates and napkins. My plate caught fire from a candle and I did not realize it until the flames were coming up over the sides of the plate. 3rd degree burns on two fingers, 2nd degree burns on 1. I spent all that night with my hand in a glass of ice water and had a final the next day!

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-12, 5:24am
Macaw Mamma

I have been burned by shocky glass in my face, the hot glass stuck to my skin .... luckily I had water on my bench and quenched it or else I think it would have been pretty bad

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2008-07-12, 5:41am

I've had little bits of shocky glass hit me. Oh & I burnt my thumb trying to press "not hot enough" glass harder with my tapley tongs (I'm an idiot)--but all that was just 1st degree stuff.
My REALLY bad burns were all done OFF the torch....

Steam-Scalding myself pulling a saran-wrapped caserole out of my mom's microwave when I was taking care of my dad--ended up having the back of my hand "peeled" @ the ER & getting a tetnus shot for that one--NEVER, EVER put something covered with plastic wrap in the microwave--EVER!!! (omg, weeks to heal & thank heavens it was my left hand it hit!)

Ran my right hand across a restraunt kitchen grill (200 on one side, 450 on the other, ran cold to hot!) while cleaning it--slid right off the cleaning screen & cloth when the handle snapped on the scrubby! Had some serious pressure going--so fried my hand nice...that was fun...had no fingerprints or handprint for about a year afterwards (hand healed up in about a week & a half--I burnt all the callous of my hand--I was lucky I had thick skin on my right hand @ that point!) Took it off in a "print" pattern!

*Loads* of freckles up & down my arms from the same restraunt--used to fry-cook seafood & get splashed by the fry-o-lators. 450 degree/475 degree hot lard/veg shortning melt splashing/bubbling will do that to you--every little "splash" leaves a burn, most of the burns leave a "freckle" I have nicely freckled arms now (worked there off & on for 10+/- years while I was in HS/College/Etc.) This is probably why I'm 99% immune to shocking glass when it hits me--the pain stops after a second, so I forget I've been "hit" (sorta like the hot fat!)

I cannot even count the times I've burnt myself with the oven--2nd degree. Usually sticking myself to the oven rack, sometimes to the top of the oven because I'm grabbing stuff & misjudge the distance (I'm not terribly careful with my home oven...too much time in bigger kitchens I think?)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-07-12 at 5:45am.
Old 2008-07-12, 6:19am
BeadsonCypress

I have a few little spots on my fore arms after 3 years....like mesquito bites when the flying shocky glass hits. maybe one "almost" first degree butn on my arm when I put my arm down on a rod that had'nt cooled fully. Now I'm worried......

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-07-12, 6:38am

Well I just plain ol' stuck my hand right in the flame!! I have NO IDEA what I was trying to do but it sure hurt!! Burned the skin near the webbing between thumb and forefinger. Probably should have gone to the hospital but it finally healed. For some weird reason it didn't scar badly. I have had lesser burns that have left worse marks

and also ......

Last edited by cheeky monkey; 2008-07-12 at 6:38am. Reason: spelling biff
Old 2008-07-12, 6:52am
Temptress

My arm is littered with "freckles" from popping glass. My only truly serious burn involved a motorcycle muffler. When I burned it, it turned pale white and puffy but didn't hurt at all. It was about the size of my whole hand on my mid-calf. I didn't realize how bad it was until I took a shower the next morning and the whole thing slipped off in the shower. That was spooky! By the time I went to the doctor (days later) he said I probably should have had a skin graft. It never did hurt except for some itching way deep underneath that you couldn't have scratched cause you could never reach it. It took months to heal and the area still feels no pain (15 years later). Doesn't grow hair, either, but the scar is a lot less visible than it used to be.
Old 2008-07-12, 7:22am
Glass-aholic

i have only had minor injuries... i stringer buried in my hand for a week and I did not even know until it tried to work its way out..lol and some minor 2ond degree burns with blistering, but they healed faster than 2 weeks... (i grabbed the hemostat trying to put a key in it... it was HOT!) but this was a little burn, just on my pinky and ring finger somehow, and in the shape of the hemostat!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-12, 10:10am
Dances With Fire

ya know...you play with fire.... you will eventually get burned! You cant possibly do this and not get burned once over the years! : ) I have been pretty fortunate and not gotten severly ..like hospital ...burned. I view my little scars as beauty marks : ) A testament to my art hehe. When I do burn myself I have a new found respect for the flame for awhile : )

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-12, 10:19am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

After lampworking for over a year, I've experienced only the occasional tiny specks of flying glass hitting the inside of my left arm and occasionally touching too closely to the recently joined ends of shorts.

I've probably jinxed myself now.

My most significant lampworking injury has been a cut on a finger when I twisted a cracked bead off a mandrel.

Old 2008-07-12, 10:54am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
My arm is littered with "freckles" from popping glass. My only truly serious burn involved a motorcycle muffler. When I burned it, it turned pale white and puffy but didn't hurt at all. It was about the size of my whole hand on my mid-calf. I didn't realize how bad it was until I took a shower the next morning and the whole thing slipped off in the shower. That was spooky! By the time I went to the doctor (days later) he said I probably should have had a skin graft. It never did hurt except for some itching way deep underneath that you couldn't have scratched cause you could never reach it. It took months to heal and the area still feels no pain (15 years later). Doesn't grow hair, either, but the scar is a lot less visible than it used to be.
Yep, that's your 3rd degree burn there. That's what happened to me with the iron. But it hurt like a mofo.
Old 2008-07-12, 12:05pm

My most painful burns are when I've stuck the tip of my finger in the flame when applying a stringer! I couldn't torch for a couple days!! I have the usual tiny round scars on my arms from popping glass too.
Mary T.

Old 2008-07-12, 12:19pm
ManBearPig

Burns are a way of life. Two days ago I had a marble that was orange hot pop off the punty and hit my chest. Burned straight through my shirt and left some really neat dark brown burn marks on my chest. Not sure how hot it was, but hot enough that it deformed when it hit the floor.

I generally burn myself at least once a month. Sometimes worse than others, but that one was probably one of the worst I've had.

Old 2008-07-12, 12:40pm
Back to 👊 1

My neck gets it the most, hot-ass curling iron!

Okay, I am updating this after several days. I had a shockey bead pop off the mandrel, I got up to scoop up a piece that had hit the floor, not knowing that there was also a chunk that had landed on the stool I was sitting on. When I sat back down, yeah!.....HELLO! Back of the thigh, not me butt!

Last edited by myrdlebp; 2008-07-13 at 2:07pm. Reason: something new happened!
Old 2008-07-12, 4:21pm
Capp'in Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
My neck gets it the most, hot-ass curling iron!
now now that what I would tell my dad when I came home with them little ol love bites on my neck......

Old 2008-07-12, 6:52pm

In nearly three years I haven't burnt myself seriously yet.

But I have...

Picked up a hot stringer
Had hot glass drop in my lap
popped a rod and had it hit me in the face
burned my fingernail and end of my thumb on the torch (not the flame)

None of these were more than 'ow that hurts' burns and not even left a scar.

But now I wear a leather apron and always wear eye protection.
Old 2008-07-12, 7:07pm
product of the universe

Is it me or does soft glass seem to burn you more than pyrex ?

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-07-12, 8:16pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I don't think the glass type matters if you go sticking your hand in the torch flame. lol!

Been there, done that!
Kelly

Old 2008-07-12, 9:51pm
Expert Thread Strangler

I've only burned myself twice with the torch that caused slight scarring (both times by bumping the head of the torch OUCH). The woodstove and toaster oven are out to get me though!!

I picked up a hot stringer the other day d'oh but I keep a bottle of Trader Joe's Aloe Vera Gel on the bench and I swear the next day I had forgotten that I had a finger burn. That stuff is amazing for little burns like that, heals them immediately.
Old 2008-07-13, 6:09am
Old to LE, new to torch

Wow. Well, I do know to expect some burns, I just hope I don't experience those really bad ones. I've already been burned badly when I was a little girl. My mom asked me how hot the wood stove was. She meant is the needle pointing to the yellow, orange, or red, but me being an analitical one, I took things literal. I pulled a chair over next to the wood stove to read her the temperature and leaned in. I fell into the stove pipe and burned my entire hand. Mom reacted fast and slathered it in Vitamin E oil and it healed 100% with no scarring. I do remember that but don't remember pain.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
Old 2008-07-13, 10:35am
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
Is it me or does soft glass seem to burn you more than pyrex ?
I don't think Pyrex is as shocky as the higher coe's. Much more stable glass.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-13, 1:48pm
Soft glass addict

Nothing interesting here (burning wise), only touched a hot mandrel or still hot rod at the wrong end but without a blister or some shocky glass that burned a hole in my sweater or pants.......... BUT.........

I managed to do something you won't believe, this happened about a year ago. Was torching and mandrel in left hand, rod in flame in right hand. I was about to put glass on the mandrel when all of a sudden my head started to itch, so what did smart me do?? Without having a clue i started to scratch my head and suddenly it smelled like something was burning, like really burning, i tried to get my "hand" out off my hair but it was stuck. Yeah right, i had to pull really hard and finally got the hot mandrel out off my hair ( ) , lots of hair sticking on the mandrel, yuk, i didn't know how fast i should put it in water and run to the kitchen (next to my studio) and put water on my head, dabbing with my hands, feeling with my hands where the big bold spot was, i already could see myself walking down the street being partially bold.... When i calmed down i walked into my studio to look at the mandrel again, that really looked gross and there still was the burning smell. I don't know how it is possible but i wasn't partially bold, i only lost some hair and my the skin on my head was only red (DH looked at it when he came home). Every time i tell the story i have to laugh so hard cause i think it's funny but also cause i'm so happy i didn't get burned really bad. So if your head is itching, be careful what you do
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
Old 2008-07-13, 5:07pm
Rose colored glasses…√

A few, maybe three, first degree burns, completely idiotic on all accounts. One second degree burn, again COMPLETELY idiotic reason.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-07-14, 3:30am
burnin' glass just becuz

wasnt this thread supposed to be about people NOT burning themselves?

i was hoping for tips since seems like i burn myself about every other torch session...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-07-14, 8:09am
Flamewoman

Hey, it's me from the "other thread". Well I didn't burn myself bad for over 3 years! When I was younger, and in to riding horses, we used to say if you never fall, you never rode.
Then we'd say "get right back on and ride" after a fall.
So that's what I did yesterday, I cut the finger out of a leather glove to put over my bandage and torched for a bit. Amazing how much you really need your little finger.
Looks like the same slogan applies to lampworking, "If you never get burned, you never torched!" LOL

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-07-14, 10:06am
addicted to dichro

I've been torching over four years and have just had very minors burns so far, knock on wood. I recently got a really bad one my upper arm from flying glass, but it's so tiny it just looks like a dark colored mole and only hurt at the time. The worst burn I have ever gotten is from tending our woodstove. not beadmaking.

Old 2008-07-14, 1:20pm
Just me

I voted having no burns because what burns I have gotten didn't fit into any other category description.
Most I've done is grab hot mandrels and had a bead jump off my marver onto my finger nail and a little bit of my cuticle. Turned my nail brown but my cuticle was fine.

I rarely have much shocky glass come flying my way and I've had some hit me but no burns so far. I'm pretty careful of how I work. I had an icky burn on my foot when I was a kid (stepped on a hot piece of charcoal from a bbq grill) I know how much it hurts so I'm trying to avoid it at all cost.
So far so good *knock on wood*

Old 2008-07-14, 2:08pm
product of the universe

My worst burn wasn't from glass. On christmas day when i was 1. We were all sitting around at the table for dinner and i reached over and tipped the hot gravy on myself and my mom. I was burned from head to toe the way my mom describes it. I still have scars to this day on my stomach 28 years later . Luckily i don't remember a thing cause i was so young.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-07-15, 5:49am
Learning...

Yikes! I hope by posting my burn story here doesn't jinx myself into something worse! But here goes...I was using the tungsten rake and poking, pulling shaping etc. then decided I needed to use the other end of it...so the surface I used to flip the tool around was my boob! That burning hot tool went through my blouse, bra and into my boob. I was pinching fabric out of me (all the while worrying my bead was going to fall off the mandrel..LOL) and now there's a nice round scare on my right boob. I've also touched my hand on the torch a few times singeing a layer or two of skin off my hand. I do fear dropping a glob of glass in my lap though and I've heard that it's happened to others before. OUCH!
Old 2008-07-16, 12:35pm

No serious burns but some scary misses. A scorch here and scorch there but tiny and not really a problem. Now that I have written this though I have no doubt hoodoo'd myself!

Kym