Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-27, 11:33am
Glass Savant

Default Help selecting a starter kiln...

So I have decided that it is time to buy a kiln. I love working with glass too much not to have one. I have done some looking around but I know nothing about the quality of the various brands. My budget is rather limited (currently unemployed), so I am looking for a good and cheap kiln. I just have a hothead so I am not making anything too large. I will prob still batch anneal so I don't really need it to have a bead door (I'm a little ADD so I only make a couple pieces at a time), although if the price is right, they do look cool. I may like to try fusing some day so having that capability is a plus but maybe not necessary. Also I prob should get a digital controller because knowing my self I will have trouble with manual control.

So I ask you LE members, what are the good starter kilns? What kiln did you start with? Were you happy with it, or did you quickly find your self looking for a better/bigger one? Any help is appreciated.
Old 2010-12-27, 11:36am
A True Woofer

I started with a Paragon Caldera, but soon found it was too small. I then went to a Chili Pepper, and found that I wanted a brick kiln. So then I moved up to the GlassHive kiln, which I love. I have since bought a Glass Hive WideGuy so I have lots and lots of room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-27, 11:44am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I buillt my own 'first' kiln. It was wide, low and one brick deep and worked well for beads. I moved to doing more marbles and it was still adequate. Then I started doing some sculptural stuff so I needed a taller kiln. I went to an AIM 64 with an extra ring, I believe the number is, and use it 95% of the time; still mostly marbles and pendents. I did come across a nice Paragon at a very good price but rarely use it....yet! What I'm saying is that you might carefully consider what the near future holds in terms of your work and go for one that fits those parameters and wait until your work requires a larger or different kiln. In the beginning we often think we will graduate to many different types of work but more often than not some facet will really grab us and that is where we will pretty much stay on a day to day basis with minor excursions into other areas.

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-12-27 at 11:47am.
Old 2010-12-27, 12:07pm

I have 4 kilns of various configurations, and find that I use my Chili Pepper the most. I don't get much time to torch, and it seems like the Chili Pepper is just the right size, heats up really fast, and has been very reliable so far.
Old 2010-12-27, 12:16pm
honorary bead lady

Like PJ said you can build your own annealer.

I purchased a large pottery kiln (before I realised that it was too big) added a digital controller, and it is fine for fusing/slumping.
I made a mail box annealer and controller, kinda following Mark's tutorials and then purchased a used Jen-Ken Kiln.
Old 2010-12-27, 12:17pm
I speak Murrini!

I second the nominations for both Glass Hive and Chili Pepper kilns, as I hear they are wonderful!

Myself? I have a Paragon SC2BD ("SC Series" with "Bead Door"); does EVERYTHING! From annealing glass beads to fusing (small items) to working with Gold and Silver Clay - I just love mine!

I see them on sale at various places such as Clay King (http://www.clay-king.com/kilns/parag...ragon_sc2.html), The Ceramic Shop (http://www.theceramicshop.com/store/...gon-SC3-Kiln-/), Art Clay World (http://www.artclayworld.com/CartGenie/prod-680.htm) and of course, direct from Paragon (http://www.paragonweb.com/SC2.cfm)

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-12-27, 12:33pm
Hobby Junkie

I love my Glasshive kiln. DH actually got it on ebay, cheap. I've been running it non-stop for about 3 years and haven't had any issues with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-27, 12:51pm
The Crazy One

Glass Hive is the way to go, NO ONE can beat their customer service and the quality is great! They will also set up a layaway for you, if you need it.
Old 2010-12-27, 12:56pm
Tweedle Dumb

Glasshive. Fo' shizel.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-12-27, 1:10pm
Salt Box Beads

Bluebird is another one or you could make a toolbox annealer yourself, if you are handy.

Lorraine
Old 2010-12-27, 1:20pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

I would be lost without my glasshive kiln !
Old 2010-12-27, 1:45pm
Nikki Haverstock

Is there any detailed tutorials on how to make your own kiln?
Old 2010-12-27, 3:43pm
Glass Savant

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

I am usually pretty handy but I'm not sure I want to build something that has the potential to burn my house down. I'll have to think on that one....

I had not seen the Glass Hive kilns yet and they are looking pretty good. Here is what I have found in my search for low priced (below $600), digital control kilns....

"126 LITE"???
$549.99 free shipping
Interior - 12.5" X 12.5" W X 6" D
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kiln-glass-126-L...item4aa353379b

Glass Hive - The Short Guy
$550 free shipping
Interior - 6.5" deep x 9" wide x 4.5" tall
http://theglasshive.com/BEADANNEALERS.html

Jen-Ken - Chili Pepper
$499 + $42 shipping
Interior - 16" x 4.5 " x 6"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...250#vi-content
*(Drawback- no fusing)

Has anyone ever heard of that first kiln I listed?
Old 2010-12-27, 5:20pm
honorary bead lady

The first one is from Mackilns they are a reseller and Marvin is a member here

2nd is from Mike (GlassFreak) who is a contributing member here

and the Chili pepper from Jen-Ken is the old standard for annealing kilns for lampworkers.

If you are handy...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162187

Here's the annealer I made...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ilbox+annealer

I took most of the metal liner out except the very top where the screws are mounted.

If I were to do it again I would make it all out of soft brick.
Old 2010-12-27, 10:43pm

I've been eyeballing the Fishbone from Evenheat. Does anyone know anything about them? I know I love my Studio 8. I like the looks of the Fishbone for some reason.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2010-12-28, 12:40am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Is there any detailed tutorials on how to make your own kiln?
I LOVE your avatar. Who is that lovely face?
Old 2010-12-28, 5:04am

Paragon's are great I find the other's have very small doors. If you are going to do other things then Beads then it is to hard to get things inside. Dan
Old 2010-12-28, 7:11am

From your list I'd go with the Glasshive. If you are considering going off into other areas like slumping and fusing you might look at a Skutt GM10 with a bead door. It has a greater temp range and holds more programs. I have Glasshive and Skutt and am very pleased with both of them.

Robert
Old 2010-12-28, 7:42am
Did someone say SALE?

I have the Skutt GM10 with a bead door and it has worked very well. The only thing I would change is to make it wider, but as a hobbyist, it is not all that necessary for me. But I would prolly get a glasshive if I decide to do more beads.
Old 2010-12-28, 9:12am
Butterfly Rancher

If you think you want to fuse, check the kiln's specs to be sure that it'll go to at least 1450 degrees. Most glass fusing kilns go to at least 1600 degrees.

I started in fusing with a Paragon Caldera. I can't remember exactly when but I think it was 8 or so years ago. When I added lampworking a couple of years later, I just added the bead door. The kiln has been completely trouble-free and very versatile. I've done fusing, PMC, lampworking, pot melts, slumping... If I was going to buy a bead annealer, I'd go with Glasshive since I always hear stellar reviews of his kilns and his customer service.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2010-12-28, 11:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Don't get to hung up on word "kiln" there is also the term "burn out oven"... Which is basically a kiln that is uses for melting wax out of molds for "lost wax casting" process....

What to look for in a kiln.... Basically is size, something with a 12x12x9 inch chamber is about minimum size and with a front opening door, door can be side or guillotine isn't really to critical just try to avoid door hinged at bottom as you will constantly be putting glass in over hot door.... As for control's a infinite switch is minimum but digital is better, some ceramic kilns have a "kiln sitter" type of control that rely on a piece of ceramic material to melt at a given temperature to shut kiln off, this is really no control.... Keep in mind if you are handy or know somebody with some knowledge a kiln can be modified to ultimately accept a digital controller.... Also electrical power is a consideration... Large kilns usually require 220 volts so if you studio does not as 220 volt outlet your sort of out of luck... Most "small" kiln /ovens draw about 13 to 15 amps so it may even be necessary to put in a dedicated circuit for kiln (15 amp circuit is at near maximum with a lot of kilns so a 20 amp circuit would be better)...

New kilns are great to have and we like anything new and shinny, but if there is budget issues or you are just plain frugal, skip looks and go for function, if you find one that is "ugly" but works that is all that matters.... Sources besides new may be word of mouth, e-bay, or craigslist or any other "swap" areas of I-Net even garage sale portions of glass forums...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-12-29 at 7:37pm.
Old 2010-12-29, 4:43pm
Glass Savant

Thanks again for all the great responses. I looked at all the suggested kilns. The only problem with most of them is the price (I really would like to keep this under $600).

I think that right now I am leaning towards the Mac Kilns 126 LITE. It is almost twice as big as the same priced Glasshive. The only thing missing is a bead door but as I said in my first post, I think I will still batch anneal. The Chili Pepper is slightly cheaper but it does not give me the possibility of trying fusing.

I'm gonna sleep on it a couple more days....
Old 2010-12-29, 5:09pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I LOVE your avatar. Who is that lovely face?
Thank you, My greyhound Truman.
Old 2010-12-29, 6:45pm

There's a saying from my woodworking days: The most expensive tool you'll ever buy is a cheap one. Stretch yourself if you have to and buy the very best that you can manage and you'll be happier in the long term. You won't find yourself having to replace or add new stuff to get the results you want as your skill level increases.

Robert
Old 2010-12-30, 12:45am
Unmedicated since '62

i have a paragon bluebird xl - love it

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-03-01, 9:25am

I have a fishbone and paragon 14" with Orton controller.
Love the size of the Fishbone, even use it for small classes.
I'm having a problem with it right now, which is why I'm even reading this thread somethings not working right and it's taking a long time to heat up, when it used to take 5 minutes. It's a new design, so I was just wondering if this was happening to others too? I prefer the Orton controller, or any controller that doesn't require a calculator to program it. But you can get used to almost anything. I'll look into the other kilns suggested.

peace & love, natali

www.natali.ca
Old 2013-03-02, 12:20am
Slogan Challenged...

I have a MAC kiln, I got the one with no controller which I have not found to be a problem as I batch anneal. It's worked great. Well-packed. I was impressed.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-03-02, 3:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by natali baird View Post
I have a fishbone and paragon 14" with Orton controller.
Love the size of the Fishbone, even use it for small classes.
I'm having a problem with it right now, which is why I'm even reading this thread somethings not working right and it's taking a long time to heat up, when it used to take 5 minutes. It's a new design, so I was just wondering if this was happening to others too? I prefer the Orton controller, or any controller that doesn't require a calculator to program it. But you can get used to almost anything. I'll look into the other kilns suggested.

peace & love, natali

www.natali.ca
my guess is your elements are getting near the end of their life.