LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-05-27, 4:00am

Default shorts - how much to charge per lb?

About what should I charge per pound of shorts? It will be a mix of 104.
Thx
-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-05-27, 4:51am
Slogan Challenged...

I've seen mostly around $5 a lb. With little or no clear, white, black etc. I suppose speciality glass and size of shorts matter also. Are the shorts piling up? I've got a ton too.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-05-27, 7:14am

Its quite remarkable how they're piling up. I don't know why I'm not capable of using them. Lol

Old 2016-05-27, 10:46am

Would shorts be good for someone just starting out (very new) to practice with or would they be too difficult to work with at first for a beginner.. also would it be a cheaper way to practice... just curious
Old 2016-05-27, 11:01am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpcanoe View Post
Would shorts be good for someone just starting out (very new) to practice with or would they be too difficult to work with at first for a beginner.. also would it be a cheaper way to practice... just curious
Shorts are great to practice with. I bought a bunch of Boro shorts that I keep using until I feel I'm good enough to melt the full Boro ( expensive ) rods.

104 is cheaper, but the idea still applies. If you're a beginner ( like me ), you should be more worried about figuring out the techniques of what you're doing than the colors being perfect. Shorts let you practice AND use colors and not have to worry about wasting $$$ on your early works.

You can use your torch to weld the shorts into longs if you want longer rods to work with or weld them to the end of clear rods.

Shorts be good.

-BEP
Old 2016-05-27, 11:03am
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpcanoe View Post
If you know how to attach two shorts together then it could be a cheap way to learn and practice. It also depends on how short the pieces are.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:09am

sharpcanoe, I'm a total cheapskate, so I'd probably buy shorts myself, then melt a couple together to make them longer. I'm also fairly new at this & I can't see spending a lot for nice long rods at this point. I find shorts are fun to use for twisties & wig wags. (I need work on those.) It's great to have a large variety for such things.

(OT, growing up, we never bought soap because my dad was on the road all week & he brought home those tiny motel soaps. It wasn't until my brothers & I grew up that we actually were able to use a full-sized bar of soap! Good times. lol)
Old 2016-05-27, 11:12am

What would be the shortest short that someone should buy to practice with.. is there a standard length...like 3 inches or more?
Old 2016-05-27, 7:24pm

Depends on how sensitive your fingers are! I've gotten down to about 2 1/2 inches, then I grab my pliers or hemostat, whatever's handy. I'm still on my HH because I had a stockpile of 12 gas cylinders to use up before I could transition to propane on my Minor. I don't know if that will change anything...
Old 2016-05-27, 7:32pm

When you melt two shorts together, they can become shocky at the joint. Someone said when you join them together, pull apart slightly to make the joint thinner than the actual rod, then let them cool this way. This is supposed to prevent or reduce the shockiness.

Last edited by truegem; 2016-05-27 at 7:47pm.
Old 2016-05-27, 7:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
When you melt two shorts together, they can become shocky at the joint. Someone said when you join them together, pull apart slightly to make the joint thinner than the actual rod, then let them cool this way. This is supposed to prevent or reduce the shockiness.

Yep this works real well. I use my shorts for small spacers, too
Old 2016-05-28, 10:08am
Lisa Berczel

I use a rod holder till the bitter end, then pull stringers. That's cut way down on my short accumulation.

But, I bought a lot of DH shorts - and they're squirreled away till I move up to a big-girl torch.
Old 2016-05-29, 8:33am
Phill

Aye, I have no shorts because I weld that segment on to the end of the new rod of that color.

If it is at all shocky it gets pulled into stringer.
Old 2016-05-31, 9:48am
hyperT

Default Shorts

I just weld the stupid things back together into longer pieces?
You can flame anneal them and cool them that way or kiln anneal.
Might make sense just to weld them while they are still hot and use
them up that way.

Last edited by hyperT; 2016-05-31 at 9:51am.
Old 2016-05-31, 12:20pm

The only reason I have shorts is impatience. Then I want a color I only have as a shorty. Out come the giant hemostats from Harbor Freight and I can use the entire short.

Sometimes I quit buying a color to force myself to use shorts.
Old 2016-06-02, 10:57am
Grounded from da Torch =(

When you melt your short ends together, make sure they are good and melty and then mash and twist them together so they create a bulge, and then as they are starting to harden up from being in the flame, slowly pull them away from each other until the joints is a little thinner than the rods themselves. If interested, I can record myself doing this later on today, so there is a video reference.

8M w/ SM7 tip, 1 oxycon, house pressure propane wo0t.