No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-01-29, 6:22pm
J R Hooper

Default I am NOT Dead

A customer just messaged me on Etsy and asked me if I was the real J. R. Hooper. I asked her if someone was claiming to be me, and she sent me a screenshot of an Ebay seller claiming that I had died. So I got to looking and there are several pages on the internet of people claiming that J. R. Hooper died years ago blah blah blah and getting as much as 10 dollars a piece for my Miniature Marbles.
I am happy to report that I certainly am NOT DEAD. I did not die in 2011, nor did I die in 2017. Good lord, I don't know where the rumor started but I suspect some unscrupulous re-seller is cashing in on my demise, apparently big time. I've never charged more than .20 cents a piece for my miniatures, and folks are getting 10 bucks a piece now that I've apparently passed on.

What the heck do I do about this? I guess I can just let it be, but wow...
Old 2024-01-29, 6:28pm
J R Hooper

Oh god, the jokes circulating in the house tonight... I guess I should have taken out some life insurance though.
Old 2024-01-29, 7:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
Oh god, the jokes circulating in the house tonight... I guess I should have taken out some life insurance though.
Old 2024-01-29, 9:18pm

Quote:
Old 2024-01-30, 9:38am

Man you can now make a killing with resurrection marbles!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-01-30, 10:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Old 2024-01-30, 4:55pm
J R Hooper

Quote:

This whole thing has kind of made me wonder though... My wife has been after me for years trying to get me to raise my prices.
I really was working myself to death back in the day and only charging ten cents a piece for them. I would get orders for five or ten thousand at a time and it was getting me nowhere, financially or artistically. I've made literal millions of minis, and got woefully out of practice with my other glass and really didn't make a ton of money.
Watching folks reselling them for ten buck a piece really got the wife going about my prices again, and it's bothered me as well. I'm sitting here with a big bottle with about ten thousand minis in it, and at ten bucks a piece... Jesus H.
How do you guys price your stuff?
Old 2024-01-30, 7:31pm

I figure a base hourly wage and add a small amount for glass and overhead.
Old 2024-01-30, 9:29pm

Quote:

This whole thing has kind of made me wonder though... My wife has been after me for years trying to get me to raise my prices.
I really was working myself to death back in the day and only charging ten cents a piece for them. I would get orders for five or ten thousand at a time and it was getting me nowhere, financially or artistically. I've made literal millions of minis, and got woefully out of practice with my other glass and really didn't make a ton of money.
Watching folks reselling them for ten buck a piece really got the wife going about my prices again, and it's bothered me as well. I'm sitting here with a big bottle with about ten thousand minis in it, and at ten bucks a piece... Jesus H.
How do you guys price your stuff?
I saw a couple eBay listings marketing towards miniature/dollhouse buyers. Not for kids anymore, that's a serious adult hobby. Also, people like miniatures. Put them in some small fun/interesting glass bottles like the one shot liquor bottles. Also, they would probably be very cool in some Boro tube for a wand type thing. You've got several markets. Good story, great pics, and listen to your wife. Experience and name recognition add more value than time, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-01-31, 2:24am
Slogan Challenged...

inflation yada yada
we have all had to raise our prices. Don't undersell yourself. Like Rebecca suggested, have some cute settings for those.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2024-01-31, 7:37am
J R Hooper

Quote:
I saw a couple eBay listings marketing towards miniature/dollhouse buyers. Not for kids anymore, that's a serious adult hobby. Also, people like miniatures. Put them in some small fun/interesting glass bottles like the one shot liquor bottles. Also, they would probably be very cool in some Boro tube for a wand type thing. You've got several markets. Good story, great pics, and listen to your wife. Experience and name recognition add more value than time, right?
I had completely underestimated how popular my minis had gotten, after all this stuff about my death I started digging around on the net and it just blew me away. Very flattering some of it. I've always been very humble, my wife says to a fault sometimes, but it really is hard for me and I have no idea why.
You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've seen people do with the miniature marbles through the years. I had one customer that made little gumball machines, one that made miniature Chinese Checker Boards, tiny magic wands with mini marbles at the tip of them, mini marble runs.
Old 2024-01-31, 10:56am

You should advertise that you have acquired all of the JR Hooper collection of work. Much of it, never released but all verified as original and authentic. Then you can charge what the market will pay. If others can make money off your 'death' than you can make money off it too!
Old 2024-01-31, 11:38am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
You should advertise that you have acquired all of the JR Hooper collection of work. Much of it, never released but all verified as original and authentic. Then you can charge what the market will pay. If others can make money off your 'death' than you can make money off it too!
Right
As best I can tell, one of my old regular customers that had a fairly large trove of minis passed away and there was an estate auction and someone ended up buying those and maybe they thought is was me who had passed away. That's the best case scenario, at worst, some reseller is claiming I died and doing that intentionally to upcharge the hell out of people but the rumor got legs somehow and now I've got people doubting I'm the real J. R. Hooper. It's weird, but we got a bunch of really bad jokes out of it, 'dead tired' and 'sleep like the dead'. My wife said she wanted me to sleep on the couch cause she wasn't into necro... But yeah, if any of you guys run into someone claiming I am deceased, feel free to send them my way.
I'm retired, for the most part, and disabled, but dead seems a little bit of a hyperbole.
Old 2024-01-31, 11:49am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
I figure a base hourly wage and add a small amount for glass and overhead.
At best speed and if everything goes smoothly, I can make about six miniatures a minute. That's not counting the time to pull the stringers, but an arm's length pull gives me about 15-20 minis... I'll have to do some math I guess but if i did sell them for ten bucks a piece, I wouldn't, but if I did, that's a measly $3,600 bucks an hour. I can't live on that LOL
It really is a conundrum though as far as what would be a fair price, I've got old loyal customers that would tell me what to do with that ten dollars a piece, and then there's people out there that are really charging that though. Being disabled throws a wrench into the whole thing as well, I can't sit for hours anymore. When we needed the money I couldn't hardly give the things away, and now that I'm handicapped, I've got people emailing me left and right wanting them. It's nuts...

Last edited by jesnbec73; 2024-01-31 at 11:53am.
Old 2024-01-31, 12:16pm

Quote:
At best speed and if everything goes smoothly, I can make about six miniatures a minute. That's not counting the time to pull the stringers, but an arm's length pull gives me about 15-20 minis... I'll have to do some math I guess but if i did sell them for ten bucks a piece, I wouldn't, but if I did, that's a measly $3,600 bucks an hour. I can't live on that LOL
It really is a conundrum though as far as what would be a fair price, I've got old loyal customers that would tell me what to do with that ten dollars a piece, and then there's people out there that are really charging that though. Being disabled throws a wrench into the whole thing as well, I can't sit for hours anymore. When we needed the money I couldn't hardly give the things away, and now that I'm handicapped, I've got people emailing me left and right wanting them. It's nuts...
A savvy business person would price them on the high end and then offer discounts to the old, loyal customers or anyone you want to, really. You can also do bulk discounts, seasonal 'sales', and giveaways. Today's customers have come to almost expect that kind of structure.
But,... not everybody gets the discount. Those who care about it will seek it and those that don't care about price won't seek it. (yes, those people exist)

If you price low, there's no room to increase. But if you price high, you can always come down all while appearing flexible and customer-oriented.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 2024-01-31, 5:00pm
J R Hooper

I'll have to meditate on this one a minute.
I'm guessing there's a limit on how much I could make in terms of Disability as well, I'm sure they would frown on paying benefits out to somebody that was rolling in the dough, handicapped or not.
My wife is almost there in terms of getting her trained, maybe the solution is just Rebecca Hooper from the J. R. Hooper Studio. If I can get her up to a reasonable production level, and just let her leverage my name... It's a mess, but at least it's an interesting mess now that I'm deceased and all LOL
Old 2024-01-31, 5:17pm

Quote:
I'll have to meditate on this one a minute.
I'm guessing there's a limit on how much I could make in terms of Disability as well, I'm sure they would frown on paying benefits out to somebody that was rolling in the dough, handicapped or not.
My wife is almost there in terms of getting her trained, maybe the solution is just Rebecca Hooper from the J. R. Hooper Studio. If I can get her up to a reasonable production level, and just let her leverage my name... It's a mess, but at least it's an interesting mess now that I'm deceased and all LOL
How old are you? (I donít need to know, just want to point out this detail) Once you get to full retirement age you can earn as much as you can, and the only impact would be possibly moving into an income tier that would make your SSI taxable. When youíre at full retirement age they move you from SSD to SSI.
Old 2024-01-31, 6:03pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
How old are you? (I donít need to know, just want to point out this detail) Once you get to full retirement age you can earn as much as you can, and the only impact would be possibly moving into an income tier that would make your SSI taxable. When youíre at full retirement age they move you from SSD to SSI.
I turn 50 this Sunday, I'm on full blown disability as of 2020.
Old 2024-01-31, 8:09pm

I want to buy some of your mini marbles!
Old 2024-01-31, 8:29pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
I've got some listed on Etsy, jrhooper is my shop name.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/jrhooper
It's mostly assorted sets and some Vaseline and Custard, mention Lampwork etc. when you check out and I'll throw in some extras
Old 2024-01-31, 9:08pm

Quote:
Well shoot that makes full retirement a ways off!
Old 2024-02-01, 7:12am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Well shoot that makes full retirement a ways off!
Yeah I'm just over the hill. My back is shot though, I've got more Titanium than Bone back there. Told the wife that when I do go, take me to the scrap metal place rather than the funeral home, some of the screws they put in were 1000 bucks a piece.
Old 2024-02-01, 4:48pm

Quote:
I heard he died a few years ago...
Old 2024-02-01, 7:35pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
I heard he died a few years ago...
Died twice, once in 2011 and again in 2017.

Old 2024-02-01, 7:36pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Make sure to mention Lampwork Etc. when you order, I'll hook you up. That goes for any of you guys.

Old 2024-02-01, 9:15pm

Y'all are too funny!
Old 2024-02-04, 9:01am

Quote:
I've got some listed on Etsy, jrhooper is my shop name.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/jrhooper
It's mostly assorted sets and some Vaseline and Custard, mention Lampwork etc. when you check out and I'll throw in some extras
Just ordered, thank you!
Old 2024-02-04, 9:04am

Quote:
Happy Fiftieth!
Old 2024-02-04, 10:11am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Happy Fiftieth!
Awesome, just sent you a message back on Etsy. Happy Birthday to you as well, and I hope you enjoy the minis. I will definitely throw some extras in with your order

Old 2024-02-04, 3:10pm

Quote:
Awesome, just sent you a message back on Etsy. Happy Birthday to you as well, and I hope you enjoy the minis. I will definitely throw some extras in with your order
Thanks! Canít wait.