No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-02-13, 5:25am
J R Hooper

Default What happened to 'Puntil'

Back when I first started working with glass, I swear we all spelled the word puntil. Now it seems to have changed at some unknown point to punty?
The only reference I found for Puntil online in a brief search was this...
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/puntil

I swear this isn't the only word that has changed it's spelling in the last couple of decades, maybe the internet has caused some words to be respelled for some kind of re-standardization? Not a big deal, but as a former Lit major, it's driving me nuts. It's puntil, damnit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-02-13, 9:39am

hmm, I was taught it as "pontil" or "Punty".

Languages change, and they always have. It's not something stoppable, even if you wanted to. I believe the general rule of thumb is that all languages change at a rate that means about every 300 years a spoken language changes enough than if someone from the past and present tried to speak to each other, they would both find it near indecipherable.
Old 2024-02-13, 9:37pm
Slogan Challenged...

I've never heard Pontil. But perhaps that is more common in glass blowing?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2024-02-16, 9:29am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
hmm, I was taught it as "pontil" or "Punty".

Languages change, and they always have. It's not something stoppable, even if you wanted to. I believe the general rule of thumb is that all languages change at a rate that means about every 300 years a spoken language changes enough than if someone from the past and present tried to speak to each other, they would both find it near indecipherable.
At one point, many many moons ago, I was a Literature Major. I ran across an obscure but intensely interesting treatise on how individual dialects developed in geographical locations and within family groups that blew me away. They can vary based on distances of just a few miles and accents can be recognized from specific valleys or towns.

Terrence McKenna was fond of talking about a study they did on Aborigine Folks songs, and they took a song from one end of Australia and played it for a guy from the other end, and even though the language was completely different and unrecognizable, the guy was able to tell that the guy singing the song came from place with like two mountains next to it near a forest etc. They have no idea how this was possible, but it was a legitimate repeatable phenomenon. Pretty wild.

That reminds of the pottery thing... they looked at decorations in pottery made with reeds and by digitally analyzing the lines, they were able to distinguish actual voices of the potters that had been captured in the clay through the vibrations of the reeds, much like grooves in a record. Molten rock can apparently capture magnetic fields at the time they soidify, so I wonder if someday they will be able to analyze solidified glass and capture our voices as vibrations in the glass when it is molten... careful what you say around your beads and marbles, some future archaeologist might be able to play that back someday. LOL