Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-02, 3:13am
My gang!!

Default What brand of bead release do you use for soft glass?

O.K., I've been out of torching since 2005, I've never gotten off the boards, but because of health issues had to stop torching.

So, now I'm thinking I want to torch again, and I've got a few old sample bottles of Foster Fire. I diluted one down till I thought it had the right consistancy, and bam!!! I can't get the dang beads to come off. I don't know if it is just old, or if there is something better. Can you please help me in finding a new release that works well?

Hugs!
Old 2008-02-02, 4:16am
one day at a time

I've tried almost all of them, and I LOVE Fosterfire Smooth n' Tuff! It's a little tricky to get it the right consistency, but I take mine out of the original container and put it in a baby food jar. I add a bit more water, a few wonky beads to aid in mixing, and it comes out the perfect consistency for my 1/16" mandrels. Not too thick, not too thin. I even use it to mix with some of my old release (I have several kinds) to make them work better.
Old 2008-02-02, 4:26am
My gang!!

Thanks Lisi. I'll have to check into that.
Old 2008-02-02, 5:23am
Certified Yoga Teacher

I like Fusion flame dry bead separator. You don't have to pre-dip mandrels, and it cleans off easily. The only time I've had stuck beads is when I thinned it too much, but I let it evaporate a bit and it was fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-02, 9:11am

I have to agree with Liz.. Fusion is awesome!

Old 2008-02-02, 9:22am

I love fusion too.
Though, if Ed & Virginia ever start selling their very own "Rockland Harbor Mud" (or whatever it's really called ) I just might have to switch--the release they use @ Playing With Fire in the studio is pretty darn sweet!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-02-02, 9:25am
Is it May yet?

I love the Smooth n Tuff. It cleans SO easy! And I make bigger stuff-vessels and hollows.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2008-02-02, 9:48am
Flame Dames Rule!

Lewis Wilson has a new bead release called Dirty Looie's. I've been testing it, and it works as well as Fusion and the beads come off the mandrel easier. And the holes clean out really easy....

He says it's also great for Boro work and you can really jerk around the glass and apply pressure to the stuff. I haven't gotten that far in the testing yet (Tucson got in the way), but keeping in mind the kind of big boro sculptural beads Looie makes, I'm betting the release hangs on like crazy!

*sharon*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2008-02-02, 9:55am
Ad astra per aspera

I love Smooth & Tuff. I use it for everything.

Old 2008-02-02, 10:00am
"Sinners have soul too"

I mix Fusion and Alice's 50/50... looking forward to seeing (and trying) what Lewis Wilson is coming out with... any time line Sharon??

Old 2008-02-02, 10:01am
Booger #7

I'm a S & T fan myself!

Old 2008-02-02, 1:01pm
My gang!!

Thanks guys!! I'm taking notes.

Sharon what you are describing sounds great.

I may wind up with smooth and tuff if that is what the majority uses.
Old 2008-02-02, 2:58pm

We have only used Dip n go Sludge from Arrow Springs, seems to work just fine however has anyone else used it who can give a comparison to the other brands? Curious how it works compared to the other brands.

Old 2008-02-02, 4:34pm
ManBearPig

I use Sludge Plus for all types of glass. Works better than anything I've ever tried.

•
•
•
Old 2008-02-02, 6:12pm
Virginia.

I use the same old Foster fire I have used for the last three years - I mess with my beads a ton - and anything else I tried, I had a horrid time with - would love to try the "Dirty Looi's" is it available somewhere -
by the way - I mix my foster fire very thin - seems like the thinner the better, just so that it is just thick enough to stay on the mandrel, and I tap as much of it off as I can. Just seem to do better then - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-02-02, 6:28pm
koregon

fusion, I love fusion bead release, its good for everything, boro to.

Old 2008-02-02, 9:08pm
My gang!!

Thanks all. I'm sort of leaning towards the dip and go sludge, but seem to want a bit more input. I don't want to have to order $100 worth of stuff just to get bead release.

Thanks for your input.
M
Old 2008-02-02, 11:18pm

Fifteen or so years ago I used Fusion products International.Then about six or seven years ago I started using a mixture of Foster Fire and FPI. This worked well for soft glass and also the very large boro beads that I did. Many of the beads were over five inches tall and weight over a pound.
Ross at ABR sent me a sample to try of something new he had worked out.. It is as good as what I was mixing for the past many years. For my big and small boro beads. It also turned out to be as good for soft.
But then I found out that both hard and soft cleaned very well and left none to very little bead release in the hole.
I had talked with Ross many times about getting a bead release, just to use the name Dirty Looie's Bead Release. To my sick mind it just sounds right.
So I lent my name and use it myself. I get no royalty or kickback.
I just think that it is cool to have a product with your name on it
Ross will have it for sale next week at my show.
I believe he may be giving out samples also.
Lewis C Wilson
Old 2008-02-03, 6:18am

KRAG Mud - beads just twist off and clean with a pipe cleaner. I've done big beads and even some small boro stuff with it - if they ever stop making the stuff I'll be in big trouble!

Old 2008-02-03, 7:07am
Everybody Needs Beads!

For minute there I thought there was going to be no KRAG love!
I'm a "KRAG hag" haha
I havne't ever tried the Fusion though. I plan to sometime soon.

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2008-02-03, 7:15am
Ready to hit the road

I started out with Sludge, then tried Foster Fire, then a combination of both. Still had problems with the release breaking when pulling and pushing on the glass. So I mixed up 50% alumina hydrate, 50% kiln wash and added that to my dipping jar when it started running low. I'm probably up to 1/4 of the Sludge/Foster Fire, 3/4 alumina hydrate/kiln wash now, and I really like it. I very seldom have a problem of it breaking while playing with the glass. The only negative I've seen is that you can't stick it right away into the hottest part of the flame; it's best to gently heat it to get the glass on, then it's OK.
Betsy

•

•