Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-02, 3:52pm
Happy Beadmaker!

I'm loving the idea of these rings -- but are the customers balking at the price of the base ring??? By the time we buy it from Renee and mark it up, it gets kinda pricey -- will they still sell? And as for me, I'm not so sure I can come up with the $$$ to buy a nice variety of sizes to get started...

What are your thoughts?
Lea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2011-08-02, 4:01pm
Mad about Glass

I'm a size 7 and the Rico size 7 fits me perfectly. I'm wondering if perhaps rings in the US are sized smaller like the clothes- in clothes a US six 6 is size 8 in Australia.

[url]

Old 2011-08-02, 4:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
I'm loving the idea of these rings -- but are the customers balking at the price of the base ring??? By the time we buy it from Renee and mark it up, it gets kinda pricey -- will they still sell? And as for me, I'm not so sure I can come up with the $$$ to buy a nice variety of sizes to get started...

What are your thoughts?
Lea
I'm wondering the same thing. I want to get started on these but I can't afford to have a large inventory of rings at first and like everything else you'll always need the size you don't have and will have to order. Good to know these are running smaller than anticipated.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-08-05, 7:48am
Flamin' Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
I had actually contacted Renee about the ring sizing b/c I, too, ran into the same problem! Mine was with the narrow band and, of course, with the wider band it was even more so.
Sent you a pm Yee.
Cynthia

#T48
Old 2011-08-06, 5:51am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
I use a bead release called "Dirty Looie" for my ring tops, i.e. on the Paterperlo discs. It has to be pretty thin and the mandrels should be freshly dipped. I try to not heat the bead release at all. This way, the residues will come off without any grinding or polishing. (Thank you Angela for this tip!)

Renee, great tutorial! And I just love your colorful and bright murrine ringtops!
Great tip, Martina (and Angela)! I never like that rough surface one generally gets when using a platform. Good to know about Lewis' release too. Will have to get some now. Lovely ring tops, BTW!

Old 2011-08-06, 7:20am

The sizes aren't exactly corresponding to US sizes - or UK sizes, as a matter of fact (which don't correspond with each other, either, annoyingly). I use this converter:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ring_size.htm

whenever people order from me, and unless it's less than 0.1mm difference, I ask them which size they want,and recommend the larger one - US size 7 comes out as 17.35mm, so I'd suggest a 17.5mm. Over the last two years, I've learnt to suggest sizing up with the steel rings, but down (if you're between sizes) with my sterling rings, because they're comfort fit - it really makes a difference.....sadly, the inconsistencies that come with ring size conversions can be very frustrating (I've had people at the stall, physically trying rings on and arguing they were a different size, despite digital calipers proving the opposite) At least, once they found one ring that fits, the tops just swap round and round, lol!

(ring top mandrels, nuts, & beads *****
for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-08-06, 8:37am
Mr Brutus RIP

I am having the same concerns Lea and Donna. I listed a few in my shop and added a link to Sabines shop for the rings. I wanted to put Renees too but it seems confusing when I clicked on the link.......
I want to carry them in my shop someday...........
sue

Old 2011-08-06, 9:05am
Sarah Jane's grandma

I also really want to start making these rings, but am concerned about the expense of the base ring. I'd primarily hoped to sell these at shows in my area, but I don't know if people will be interested. I'm not sure the average customer here will be willing to pay what I'll need to charge. Hmmm......

Old 2011-08-06, 9:54am

I don't know if this helps, but most people I know pretty much sell the rings on more or less at cost, carry only 2 per size or so, but make the money on the ring tops. From experience, I get a lot of repeat custom (I do about four fairs a year in my home town, and having sold the rings for two years, I now have a fairly steady stream of people who already have a ring or pendant, but just keep adding to their top collection)...

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-08-06, 4:50pm
Burning through glass

Thanks everyone for the great input. I've done a fair amount of research concerning the sizing, and yes, Deb is correct; there just isn't an industry standard for sizing rings....you would think by now there was! And true, because there is no "standard" calibration for sizing ring mandrels, different companies can calibrate the sizes to be within a certain industry "tolerance", but there is no spot-on worldwide standard. To make it more complicated, ring sizes are interpreted differently depending on the country you're in, and for the Rico rings, the rings I have are sized to the nearest whole mm. I've tried to translate that mm circumference to the nearest size to our US sizes. Sabine has been through this already and KNOWS the frustration! This is why on my ring page I include the mm circumference to reference that size. I've realized now the size 6 I have will need to be worded that it is closer to a 5.5 US size, and I'm looking at the other sizes more closely as well. I will keep doing my best to stay ahead of the sizing translations, and I thank everyone for letting me know if a particular size is not fitting right.

We'll keep working out the fine details with your help! I appreciate the input very much.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2011-08-06 at 5:06pm.
Old 2011-08-07, 1:22am

Renee any news one the black rings?
Cheers

Old 2011-08-07, 8:45am
Burning through glass

Tabitha, They let me know the black rings will not be available in the 5mm widths until January. They have the 8mm now, but I'm going to hold off for now until the 5mm is available, since the 5 seems to be most popular. Personally I love the wider widths, but I think eventually I'll get both. I'll keep everyone posted!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-08-07, 8:50am
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
I wanted to put Renees too but it seems confusing when I clicked on the link.......

sue
Let me know if you have any ideas that I can help with. I know all that "stuff" on the changeables page might look complicated to your customers if they're just looking for the rings.

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-08-07, 8:50am

Any chance of getting a couple of 8mm ones before January? Happy to pre-pay

Old 2011-08-07, 9:12am

Re: the boro question, yes, it is possible, but less 'failsafe' than with soft glass. Sorry to double post the pic, but this one is boro:

The Thinker (Work in Progress) by Sabine Little, on Flickr

...however, I glued the nut in, because I *really* didn't want to mess around with anything else than I absolutely had to. At least, if it does come loose, I can just glue it in again (and yes, I know it's not perfect yet, I'm working on it )

for tuition (UK)

Last edited by sparrow; 2011-08-07 at 9:18am.
Old 2011-08-07, 9:18am
Mr Brutus RIP

renee, is it possible to put them in your etsy shop? Then I could ad your link and others can too.....
sue

Old 2011-08-07, 9:35am
Burning through glass

Sue, yes that might work out ok....I'll see what I can do to get some pictures up next week. I've been meaning to list some of my cab tops, so this might be a doable solution. I'll let you know.

You know what might be a cool thing...does Etsy still have "teams"? I wonder if folks who are doing these tops might want to form a changeable top team....hmmmmmm, any organizers out there?

Sabine, that is AWESOME! I love that design/concept!! Very cool!

Tabitha, I will probably place another order in a couple of months....just missed getting in on the one I placed last week! I'm so sorry about that! I'll keep you in mind for the next order.

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2011-08-07 at 9:39am.
Old 2011-08-07, 10:29am
Sarah Jane's grandma

Sabine, thanks so much for your input on selling the rings at fairs/shows. It does make me feel much better about trying this!

Old 2011-08-07, 12:14pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
You know what might be a cool thing...does Etsy still have "teams"? I wonder if folks who are doing these tops might want to form a changeable top team....hmmmmmm, any organizers out there?
This sounds like a great idea!

As far as selling the changeable pendants and rings I would prefer to just refer people to Renee or Sabine. I've had great buying experiences with both and I would feel comfortable doing that. I really don't want to carry inventory of those items. I would just prefer to sell the tops.

Old 2011-08-07, 12:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
This sounds like a great idea!

As far as selling the changeable pendants and rings I would prefer to just refer people to Renee or Sabine. I've had great buying experiences with both and I would feel comfortable doing that. I really don't want to carry inventory of those items. I would just prefer to sell the tops.
yep. that is what I'm currently doing, its just that the current pool of people who have a clue what it is for is a bit on the small side at the moment!

I really think its fantastic that not only do you have a changeable system, but that people can own a little piece of artwork from a different artisan and wear a different one every day! and unlike the bead bracelet systems, there isnt mass produced imported junk flooding the search pages.

if the teams thing goes ahead I may well have to open an etsy shop. I havn't seen a need to before.

Old 2011-08-08, 7:13am
Happy Beadmaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
I don't know if this helps, but most people I know pretty much sell the rings on more or less at cost, carry only 2 per size or so, but make the money on the ring tops. From experience, I get a lot of repeat custom (I do about four fairs a year in my home town, and having sold the rings for two years, I now have a fairly steady stream of people who already have a ring or pendant, but just keep adding to their top collection)...
Great info, thanks Sabine! I'd really like to start this project, but haven't won the lotto yet so can't quite buy a nice inventory of the rings!!

~
~
~
Old 2011-08-08, 7:49am
Mr Brutus RIP

Marybeth, yes, it is nicer to just refer to renee and sabine for ring/pendant bases!
I prefere just making the tops instead of stressing about having enough sizes and all that stuff!!

Keep me posted on the team stuff!
sue

Old 2011-08-21, 8:53am
Disconnected

2 ring tops from me

I agree with Mary Beth, if I were going to sell them (I am still at the testing/building up inventory stage), I'd rather send customers to Sabine and Renee for the rings.

Old 2011-08-21, 1:44pm
Master Procrastinator

Those are beautiful Flonche! Love the black 1 in particular!

Old 2011-08-21, 1:50pm

Oooh, the colours of the dots in that first one are just soooooo scrumptious!

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-08-21, 2:04pm
Disconnected

Thank you Lea and Sabine! Of course I have no clue what I did to get those dots. It involved DH Gaia at some point, but that's all I know

Old 2011-08-21, 2:15pm

Lol, isn't that always the way?

This one isn't a new design, but I decided it was time to make a ring top with 'The Raven'

Edgar Allan Poe: The Raven by Sabine Little, on Flickr

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-08-25, 4:01am

For anyone interested:
George Harper East, a very talented jewellery designer and metalsmith here in the UK, makes adjustable sterling silver ring bases for the exchangeable ring tops (compatible with the 2.5mm systems). I believe she has two different adult sizes, and two different children’s sizes. I have one myself - it’s very comfortable to wear, and her quality of work is superb! I believe she offers wholesale packs as well, but you need to contact her for prices on that.

You can check them out in her Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge

Old 2011-08-25, 8:25pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Just received my ring top mandrel. I can't wait to try this. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good bead day. LOL! Thanks for all the inspiration ladies!

Old 2011-08-25, 8:28pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Renee, thanks again for sending my order out before you headed out of tow!. I really appreciate you taking the time to do it.