Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-25, 6:55pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I am going to to a little messing around with batch #2 and batch #3. Give me a couple of days and I will get back to everyone that was willing to help out. I am by no means looking to start selling this stuff. I am looking to make it better for myself and well, you know me, I am always sharing and trading my crap. *laughs* but really, I am tired of spending so much money on the biggest throw away supply part of our art. And, once I gt the recipe nailed down, I am so posting it everywhere!
Old 2011-09-25, 7:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I don't clean mine in the sink, I use a jar and pour it out in the garden. I don't know for sure, but don't like the idea of the bead release in the pipes and drain.
Anyone more knowledgeable that can give me some scoop?
Bead release will clog your drain - you should definitely not clean them in your sink and let the water run down the drain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-09-25, 7:05pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Bead release will clog your drain - you should definitely not clean them in your sink and let the water run down the drain.
Uh oh. Well, luckily I haven't been at this all that long. I really had no idea. I will be changing my ways.
Old 2011-09-25, 8:18pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Thank you for the confirmation, & I hope Nikki comes back & sees this. I'd hate for her to mess up her plumbing.
Old 2011-09-25, 8:23pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
Uh oh. Well, luckily I haven't been at this all that long. I really had no idea. I will be changing my ways.
But nothing to panic about if you've only done a few. I've been making beads for 6 years and always clean at the sink and let it run down the drain and haven't clogged my sink yet, but I don't make a ton of beads, nor dod i do it every day, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-25, 8:26pm
I fart diamonds

FYI, if your release is too runny, you just let it sit uncapped for a while and the water will rise to the top and you can pour of the excess. Or let it sit uncapped for a while longer and it will evaporate.

If it's too thick, just add a bit more water. Distilled is best, but I've never had an issue with my tap water.

Old 2011-09-26, 12:14am
**Nikki Mouse**

Let me and I'll buy it off ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
I think it is either 1lb or 2lb. I will check and see if I can find it in my studio. I haven't unpacked everything since the flood.

http://beadrelease.com/

~
~
~ SRA #R67 ~ SRAJD #2852 ~ ISGB #11420 ~ MiniCC/OxyconEX15
Old 2011-09-26, 12:16am
**Nikki Mouse**

Just read this. Yikes. Okay... will be cleaning the beads in a bucket and then disposing outside. Thanks for letting me know. I hope I havent damaged my pipes! Hubby wouldnt be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Thank you for the confirmation, & I hope Nikki comes back & sees this. I'd hate for her to mess up her plumbing.

~
~
Old 2011-09-26, 12:21am
**Nikki Mouse**

Will it do damage to the pipes or just clog? Whatever the answer, I'll not be cleaning in the sink anymore!

This is one of those "live and learn" moments for me....

Nikki

Quote:
Bead release will clog your drain - you should

definitely not clean them in your sink and let the water run down the drain.

~
~
Old 2011-09-26, 2:15am
Resident hippie

I think it clogs, not damages the pipes Nikki. . .

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-09-26, 2:19am
Evil Glass Enabler

It builds up in the U joint like grease can except you can put stuff down the sink that will dissolve the grease. Bead release is like dirt or sediment and doesn't dissolve. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-09-26, 2:21am
Resident hippie

The postman just delivered three big bottle of BoM.
While I'm thrilled I'm also thinking it would be good to try the dry "dilute it yourself" stuff.
Good for you Monica! I like the sound of Number 3. (Why do I not have a hash key on my computer?)

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-09-26, 7:49am
honorary bead lady

Just replace the sink p-trap with something like this...

http://www.sinktrap.net/?gclid=CLSyi...FWwZQgodUEGgbg
Old 2011-09-27, 12:23am
**Nikki Mouse**

Oops! Hehe.... I guess Im going to have to break the bad news to the hubby then. Our sink has been draining VERY slow lately.... and I *do* make beads for the most part, everyday for the past 5 years. :\

It needed to be cleaned out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
It builds up in the U joint like grease can except you can put stuff down the sink that will dissolve the grease. Bead release is like dirt or sediment and doesn't dissolve. Angelique

~
~
Old 2011-09-27, 12:27am
**Nikki Mouse**

Wow... this is awesome! Thanks David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post

~
~
Old 2011-09-27, 4:55am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post

You can also get sink traps at pottery supply stores.

Old 2011-09-27, 10:30am
Queen Tut ;)

Your next test needs to be to dip the mandrels and let them sit for a week or 2 before using them.

Sounds like I would love to test batch #3

Batch #1, add a smidge of graphite for ease of removal and see if it affects holding power?

Old 2011-09-27, 10:40am
I'm a lilac!

My highly precise scientific bead release recipe is 1/2 kiln wash and 1/2 alumina hydrate, both from Seattle Pottery Supply, measured by eyeball approximation into a 1 gallon pickle jar and accompanied by a fairly random measure of diatomaceous earth. Sometimes I leave the DE out. I put the lid on, shake the mixture, let it settle, and then scoop it into my eternally-replenishing bead release jar with however much water seems about right.

I've been doing this for about eight years and it works beautifully.

Old 2011-09-27, 12:00pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Your next test needs to be to dip the mandrels and let them sit for a week or 2 before using them.

Sounds like I would love to test batch #3

Batch #1, add a smidge of graphite for ease of removal and see if it affects holding power?
A week or two? Does that usually weaken it? I might have to check that out.
Old 2011-09-27, 1:11pm

I clean my beads in a bucket in the sink and then dump the water out elsewhere.
Old 2011-09-27, 1:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
My highly precise scientific bead release recipe is 1/2 kiln wash and 1/2 alumina hydrate, both from Seattle Pottery Supply, measured by eyeball approximation into a 1 gallon pickle jar and accompanied by a fairly random measure of diatomaceous earth. Sometimes I leave the DE out. I put the lid on, shake the mixture, let it settle, and then scoop it into my eternally-replenishing bead release jar with however much water seems about right.

I've been doing this for about eight years and it works beautifully.
Kalera,
Do you use this with your boro too? Thanks!
Old 2011-09-27, 2:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.m View Post
Kalera,
Do you use this with your boro too? Thanks!
Yep! I use it for everything, no problems.

Old 2011-09-27, 2:28pm

Kalera..Thanks!
Old 2011-09-27, 3:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Yeah, it clogs - and it does take a lot to clog. It's just heavy and settles into the trap of drains and eventually clogs. Unless you're clogged, you're fine. No need to worry.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-09-27, 3:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have mandrels dipped over a year ago that are still as good as new. lol Fusion is bad ass.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-09-27, 3:35pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Squid, you must not live in a humid climate. I dip my mandrels and within a few days you can see rust spots on the bead release, seeping up from the rusting metal underneath the release. Totally ruins the release, making it very difficult to remove beads. I use both BOM and Universal.

Quote:
I have mandrels dipped over a year ago that are still as good as new. lol Fusion is bad ass.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-09-27, 4:01pm
I fart diamonds

BOM is one of the worst releases I've ever used. My go-to is Sludge (all of them). I've had mandrels that were dipped for over 3 years that still worked great and no problems with beads sticking. (If you do get a stuck bead, use a rivet tool to remove it). You can't get much more humid than Florida, lol.

Old 2011-09-27, 5:30pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

What is kiln wash and is this something I should be using in my new kiln?
Old 2011-09-27, 5:36pm
I fart diamonds

Kiln wash keeps glass from sticking to the brick in a brick kiln. I've never used it, since I don't fuse. I just put fiber blanket in my brick kiln when I had it. My every day annealer is a Chili Pepper which is fiber blanket. You don't want to use kiln wash on that.

Old 2011-09-27, 5:45pm

so marking for later.