LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-10, 8:34am

Default Melting mandrels help

I have a customer who was haveing problems with the small 1/16 316l stainless mandrels melting and bending.
Wondering if I have a bad batch of stainless or if something else may be going on.
I using mandrels from the same lot with my hot head on propane with out issue, as most oxy/fuel setups produce a lot more BTUs expecialy working hard glass.

What might be going on?

I send a message to the customer and am waiting to hear back on what setup they are useing and other details.

At this point I'm trying to trubble shoot the problem.
This is the first time I have hear of this problem, after selling nearly 30lbs from the same material, batch number and everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-10, 9:20am
honorary bead lady

User error plain and simple! It doesn't take much to burn thru a 1/16 mandrel
Old 2013-03-10, 9:32am
I'm a lilac!

I used to burn through 1/16" mandrels all the time. My guess is the same as David's, but... a few years ago I got a different type of steel and I could hardly get it near a flame without it bending. So it's possible that your supplier slipped something in by mistake.

If that's the only complaint you've gotten, though, odds are that it's user error.

Old 2013-03-10, 11:10am

Could be but, but ASME are fairly high for metal.
I'm hopeing its an isolated accuramce.

Old 2013-03-10, 2:33pm

I bought some from a very reputable seller here, and they melted straight through! I have had absolutely no problems with other stainless mandrels.

My experience was not user error - I doubt these were of a good grade of stainless steel.

Barbara
Old 2013-03-10, 3:33pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If your complainer is from San Diego, CA, then it's probably someone known for complaining to try to get stuff for free.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-03-10, 3:52pm

It was a Florida sale, from my research people use a number of alloys.
308 & 316 are the most common.
I realy doubt it was someone trying to scam me for a sale.

410 is a stronger alloy with higher melting temp but it's more likely to rust, and sizes are limited.

Old 2013-03-11, 12:38am
one day at a time

You can melt a mandrel using a Hothead if you let it get glowing hot for too long. I know, because I've done it, and they were definitely 316L. More than likely it's user error.
Old 2013-03-11, 1:26am
Alaska Boro

Stainless alloys are in the range of 100 C from the lowest to the highest. They melt in the range of 1400 - 1500 C. Carbon steel is in the same temperature range.

Would guess that the person is new to the art and has not mastered the use of smaller mandrels. Perhaps the use of 3/32 or 1/8 would help to get the technique down before moving to thinner and more difficult to work with mandrel sizes

Agree with the other statements that is it "user error".....