Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-04, 10:29am
I'm a lilac!

Unhappy Oh please please please kiln help?

Last week, as I posted about here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...52#post2175152 my FuseBox kiln had a meltdown. I caught it at about 1600 and turned it off, unplugged it, and let it cool completely before moving it. It seemed like a pretty classic case of a relay gone bad, so I replaced the relay, patched the brick that I had to chip out, and thought I would be on my merry way, right? Wrong.

The elements won't come on. They are in quartz tubes, so I might be wrong, but as far as I can tell they look good and not burned-out. I am not sure what my next step is... perhaps I installed the relay wrong? I don't think so. There is a small white tube-thing on one of the wires that looks like a fuse, I'm wondering if I should look at replacing that, or if I should just replace the elements (there are four so this could get expensive) and see if that does the trick.

I need this kiln for my livelihood and cannot currently afford to replace it, so I am really hoping to be able to repair it myself and would be grateful for any help or tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-11-04, 10:51am

Kalera,
I know nothing about the insides of you kiln, but how I start troubleshooting such problems is with some basic testing. If you have a multimeter with a continuity tester, disconnect both ends of one of the elements and see if you have continuity. If you do, hook it back up and move to the next element. If there is a bad element, you will be able to isolate it. If there is a bad one, and if they are wired in series, you found your problem.

All I can offer is a start.
Steve

Old 2008-11-04, 11:03am
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Steve, I guess I need to make a run to Radio Shack.

Old 2008-11-04, 12:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If your pyrometer displaying the correct temp when it is just sitting after being turned on?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-04, 12:40pm
I'm a lilac!

Yes, it is.

Also, I can hear the relay clicking "on" when the controller changes the set point to 968, and I talked to Mike at Glass Hive, and he thinks the elements are fried. Going to replace those next, and if that's not it... well, there's a guy in town who does repairs, so we'll see.

Old 2008-11-04, 12:43pm
A True Woofer

I hope you get it fixed soon, Kalera.

Old 2008-11-04, 12:46pm
da General

I was going to suggest that you gave Mike a call . . . glad you did. He is da bestest!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-11-04, 12:50pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks guys! Now I just need one of these people who sells elements to CALL ME BACK!

Old 2008-11-04, 3:05pm
old fart

use a volt ohm meter to measure the resistance across you elements. they should measure 10 to 15 ohm range. if they have no resistance, here is the best place to get elements. just tell them which kiln you have.

http://www.duralite.com/

Old 2008-11-04, 3:44pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Mark!

Old 2008-11-04, 3:55pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

When my relay went bad, my element went with it.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-11-04, 6:57pm
I'm a lilac!

Now the hurdle seems to be finding elements for an obscure, odd-sized kiln that is no longer being made...

Old 2008-11-16, 7:27am

Quote:
Now the hurdle seems to be finding elements for an obscure, odd-sized kiln that is no longer being made...
If you can't find a replacement element I may be able to help you If you can find out how many amps your kiln uses and the voltage and how many sets of elements it has. We can go from there and figure out a suitable replacement element to meet the specs.

Old 2008-11-16, 8:25am
Tinder Bloom Studio

We ordered custom elements from a guy in Oregon when we were building our big kiln. Hubby has his number if he's still in business. They were very reasonable.

I'll check when he wakes up if we still have the contact info.

Old 2008-11-16, 8:27am
Happiness is....

when I replaced my element, I took it apart and took the element to a local factory and the guy just gave me the same diameter and length that I needed...He knew his stuff though, I didn't....

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-11-16, 8:41am

Kalera
Is it a E.K. Miller kiln? If so I have one I'm not using any more you can have. I wanted a new one so this is just sitting on the floor not being used. It was working great a few weeks ago. We are pretty close to each other, If you wanted to pick it up here just let me know when.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-11-17, 12:09am
I'm a lilac!

Wow you guys, THANK YOU!

Liz, are you serious? Because, WHOA. That's an awesome offer! I will take you up on it, but you have to let me do something for you too! Thank you!!!

Old 2008-11-17, 5:46am
Resident hippie

I LE!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2008-11-17, 6:55am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus Beads View Post
Kalera
Is it a E.K. Miller kiln? If so I have one I'm not using any more you can have. I wanted a new one so this is just sitting on the floor not being used. It was working great a few weeks ago. We are pretty close to each other, If you wanted to pick it up here just let me know when.
Liz R
You rock Liz
you are on my coooool people list

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-11-17, 8:10am

Kalera
YES I was totaly serious. I just bought a new one from Mike( Hi Mike!)and I love it. I also have a backup kiln beside this EK Millier fuse box kiln so if you can use it I'd be happy to give it to you. PM me for my phone number so we can set this up OK
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Old 2008-11-17, 8:16am
Biscuit Lover

Very sweet, Liz. This way Kalera will have extra parts, too. Excellent.
Old 2008-11-17, 9:38am
I'm a lilac!

Liz, you are completely awesome. I am crying happy tears!

Old 2008-11-17, 3:41pm

This thread has just given me the warm fuzzies.... what a lovely lady you are Liz...
Old 2008-11-17, 3:49pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Wow that's sweet!

I don't know what I'll do when my EK Miller kiln dies. cry, I guess. Is it possible to be in love with a kiln?

--
--
--

Old 2008-11-17, 5:19pm
Fancy Mammal

Yup, warm LE fuzzies~
Old 2008-11-17, 8:32pm

I never could really appreciate the E.K.Miller kiln. The top was so hefty that it would unbalance the whole kiln when you wanted to open the top. Talk about cumberson!Well I hope it works out for Kelara and if nothing else she can use this for a "parts" kiln.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Old 2008-11-21, 11:03am
I'm a lilac!

It is a lifesaver! Thank you sooooo much Liz, I am beyond grateful, and I don't mind the topheaviness because I never life the whole top.