Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-14, 5:37am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!
Default Z99 - will it hold value .... or not ....??

Z99 - will it still cost as much per oz - now that there are the Gaffer purples available, which seem to give very similar results?

I just wondering what the opinions are out there! Or if anyone is really interested .....!

I love the colors that Gaffer produces, but I still love my Z99, still that little bit different. Though I haven't had the chance to try Gaffer yet, it is very pretty too.

Amanda
Old 2011-09-14, 5:53am
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Amanda...
i havn't tried Gaffer yet either but I have used the reichenbach... and it is very nice... i will get that email to you today with pictures... got side tracked yesterday with fiber.....I have a small amount of the Reichenbach that I can put in the box for you.... I am hoping Z-99 will alway have its appeal to others... I have quite a bit of all dirrerect frit sizes from powder to chunk....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2011-09-14, 6:52am

Hi Kris

Tx for posting!!! Looking forward to pics ... no rush! Thank you re Reichenbach (don't know about this color from them) ... a teeny piece would be lovely to try! Let me know if any special instructions!

I agree - I don't think Z99 will ever loose it's appeal, but I think people will always be looking for the 'perfect' replacement as it's not prodced any more. I just wonder the closer the 'perfect' replacement comes (whether Gaffer (close!) or future others) whether the price for Z99 would decrease as people not willing to pay the Z99 price ($15 oz I believe?) - if something else is available that is so close a match as a less expensive option.

Just curious!!
Old 2011-09-14, 7:13am

I think it will awlays have it magic appeal.... if will always so that "something" special....

or
Old 2011-09-14, 7:58am
da General

There will always be a few people - especially those who are new and never tried Z99 - who will pay the high price for it. With both Reich and Gaffer offering very similar palette tho, I'd imagine that the super premium price will not sustain. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-09-14, 8:04am
Happy Beadmaker!

The "value" is only a perceived value.

JMTC, but as long as people compete for it and are willing to pay inflated prices for it, it will remain popular. When this "fad" is replaced by the next "fad", the perceived "value" will also diminish.

It has been astonishing to watch certain fads like this go nutty -- and the pricing of it even nuttier!

~
~
~
Old 2011-09-14, 9:19am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
There will always be a few people - especially those who are new and never tried Z99 - who will pay the high price for it. With both Reich and Gaffer offering very similar palette tho, I'd imagine that the super premium price will not sustain. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.
I agree. People move on eventually. I suspect it won't hold the value over the long term.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2011-09-14, 9:28am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I noticed last week that or appears to have already lost value.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-09-14, 10:35am

Sell it. The bonanza will not last.
Old 2011-09-14, 10:40am

What is the current market price on Z-99 per ounce... Rod and frit??? and does frit size matter... powder vs chuck??

or
Old 2011-09-14, 11:19am

I agree - it will not hold this high value. People that needed it for a signature look already have a butt ton of it, and everyone else will move on to a substitute.
Old 2011-09-14, 11:42am

I had never used it before it became endangered. Once it hit that list, I refused to even try. I won't let myself fall in love with something I know is going to just disappear eventually. I was even gifted a small sample but tucked it away, knowing I would love it.
Now that I have ordered some of the Gaffer purples, I will be able to use it without the worry and burden of unrequited glass love.
Old 2011-09-14, 11:47am
Who me?

I don't care if it looses value or not, because I'm not selling mine. The value in it is in the beadmaking for me and will always stay the same. I's a hoarder.
Old 2011-09-14, 3:11pm

Interesting to see what people think!!

Suppose it is the usual 'beauty in the eye of the beholder' ... beauty being the 'value/cost'!
Old 2011-09-14, 4:53pm
Obsessionwoman

I just love this color in the Z-99.......I have special glass jars...powder to frit....I just walk by and stroke the side of the jars....no selling here...possibly more buying...Hoarder.
.....Lenora
Old 2011-09-14, 5:20pm

i have a furnace cane that was broken in half... and it is quite beautiful... can't imagine wacking it with a hammer to get a chunk off... I had the feeling that I full of purple and pink shade in rings...I always planned on just keeping it Z-99, 850 ,851 etc... but was interested in seeing that there was still interest in it....i bought what I have long ago and was more wondering what the prices are but I see it is around $15/oz...
Great info and opinions.... THANKS!!!

or
Old 2011-09-14, 5:29pm

Yep ... I have a bunch and it's staying close!!! I just love it too! I have a couple furnace rods of 850 too ... so beautiful, lots of frit ... I am realising I am a hoarder too ...!!!!
Old 2013-02-21, 5:54pm

Anyone know what the current asking price p/oz is these days? Just interested to find out!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-02-21, 6:23pm

I want to know what the similar color is for Z99 and Mountain Blue if there is one. I have lots of Mountain Blue but very little Z99 that I ripped out of the clutches of my friend. Just kidding John. He gave it to me willingly LOL!

Old 2013-02-21, 6:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I want to know what the similar color is for Z99 and Mountain Blue if there is one. I have lots of Mountain Blue but very little Z99 that I ripped out of the clutches of my friend. Just kidding John. He gave it to me willingly LOL!
Corina gave me a full tin of z99, about a double handful - i'm just looking at it and wondering what to make with it

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-21, 6:33pm

Ok whatever. I'm so sad but....I hope you make beautiful things with it or give it to me. Either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Corina gave me a full tin of z99, about a double handful - i'm just looking at it and wondering what to make with it

Old 2013-02-21, 6:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Ok whatever. I'm so sad but....I hope you make beautiful things with it or give it to me. Either way.

its a treasured gift, i promise i'll make something beautiful with it

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-22, 2:00pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I don't care if it looses value or not, because I'm not selling mine. The value in it is in the beadmaking for me and will always stay the same. I's a hoarder.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-02-22, 3:48pm
da General

Quote:
Gaffer Purple Rose and Royal Purple are both very close to Z99 - down to the devitrifying and bumpy stringers! lol!

http://www.gafferglassusa.com/index....product_id=457

http://www.gafferglassusa.com/index....product_id=456

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-02-22, 11:21pm

It's worthless, send it to me.

Old 2013-02-23, 8:24am

Thanks Hayley. I think I'll try some of that

Old 2013-02-26, 1:53pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I loved the Z99 for years. It seemed like a magic fairy dust that guaranteed the sale of the bead pretty quickly. I have some hoarded, too. I do like the new Gaffer versions and have some of those too. I think the Z99 will hold it's value anyway because there just isn't any more being made.
Old 2013-02-27, 12:09am
burnin' glass just becuz

i will always hoard my remaining z99; the new Gaffer purples are pretty but they don't do this: http://on.fb.me/XguwUA

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2013-02-27, 1:33am
File not found

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
i will always hoard my remaining z99; the new Gaffer purples are pretty but they don't do this: http://on.fb.me/XguwUA
Beautiful!!

I agree- the Gaffer Purple is nice, but it isn't Z99. I will continue to hoard mine.