Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-05-20, 1:39pm
Beads Beads Glass

Default hot head shooting liquid and sparks???

Any ideas it has been fine all day and just started to spark and spit???

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2013-05-20, 1:40pm
Beads Beads Glass

Chris said he just filled the tank today propane

sorry I was in a rush to post Any help is much appreciated and many Thanks

working on new blog
Old 2013-05-20, 1:46pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

This is what is inside the torch. It's like oil or something. I've ran this torch for nearly an hour and a half before this started.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369082722.678404.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  29.1 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-20, 1:52pm
Loving learning

That sounds scary!
Did you take the hose off & see if anything drains out of it? I wonder if your propane is contaminated.
Old 2013-05-20, 1:57pm
Beads Beads Glass

Nothing drained out of the hose, or the torch.

working on new blog
Old 2013-05-20, 5:37pm

it's probably mercaptan (the additive that makes it smell like gas), I've had this a couple of times and it's built up in the hose, like vaseline when it dries rather than oil. I clean mine up by soaking the torch and hose in Shellite (naphtha? in US)
Old 2013-05-20, 5:42pm

Awesome! Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-20, 7:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually its probably polymers for torch hose.... It's that stuff the keeps hose pliable, and under pressure it forced out of hose and usually forms globs that muck up hose and torch.....

Mercaptan is the odorant that give propane the odd spell.... Its put in propane at the rate of 1:10,000 so if it were Mercaptan it would have strong propane odor, and there would have been a excessive amount of the odorant in propane batch to create the much goo, and besides Mercaptan is a flammable liquid so it would have burned off....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=219

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-21 at 6:18am.
Old 2013-05-20, 8:06pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I have no idea, all I got out of any of this is "Chris is making beads again!"

Yay! =)

Old 2013-05-20, 8:52pm

Interesting reading thanks Dale. I wasn't aware the mercaptan was such a small %. In my experience it wasn't hose polymers (replaced both with new) it was clearly some sort of contaminent in the tanks, I've only had it occur on unregulated lines (Hothead and Orca) and at the bottom of a tank or on a new tank. The residue is a fairly common problem here with BBq's and some cars running on gas. Interesting thread below suggests it could be caused by overfilling ...
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm
Old 2013-05-21, 12:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Actually its probably polymers for torch hose.... It's that stuff the keeps hose pliable, and under pressure it forced out of hose and usually form globs that muck up hose and torch.....

Dale,

How do I correct the issue? New hose? Burn off some of the fuel in the tank and let it self correct?

Old 2013-05-21, 6:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

Not much you can do for tank.... Just burning off fuel is not a solution.... It just wastes fuel...

The properties of propane is it is a liquid under pressure and it boils off into a gaseous state at top of tank.. It is only propane in a gaseous state that is drawn off top of tank.... Any contaminates heavier then the gaseous state of propane should stay in propane liquid or actually sink to tank bottom... If tank had been filled many time there may be a residue in tank that is contaminating the propane, and according to some having the tank purged by propane dealer has been a solution... I personally have never had issue with hose or contaminated tank....

You can replace hose or hang it up to drain.....

IF you are only experiences the contamination with unregulated torches (HH) and high pressures then I suspect its a pressure issue with hose and polymers being squeezed out of hose....If this condition does no happen with low pressures then it sort of validates the polymer theory...

Out of curiosity, do you the Orca for melting glass or for jewelry soldering?

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-21 at 6:35am.
Old 2013-05-21, 6:45am
Beads Beads Glass

Chris I have a extra red green hose that might work???? its got a thingy on it... number presser thingy? (its too early), anywhoo I am not using it and you can give it a try

working on new blog
Old 2013-05-21, 7:50am
Slogan Challenged...

How unsettling, Chris. I hope you get that worked out.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-21, 8:20am

I can't use a low pressure hose with a 5gal bulk tank can I?

I may just have to pick up a new hose at the hardware store.

Old 2013-05-21, 9:15am
Beads Beads Glass

... I have no idea.......

working on new blog
Old 2013-05-21, 1:12pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

New hose but you may need to buy a new HH. Mine didn't work properly after I had this happen. Oh and exchange the tank or get it purged.

Old 2013-05-21, 2:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
New hose but you may need to buy a new HH. Mine didn't work properly after I had this happen. Oh and exchange the tank or get it purged.

Dammit... That's an entirely new setup!!

Old 2013-05-21, 4:22pm

Hi Dale, I used the Orca for jewelry soldering, the shop I bought it from told me about cleaning it and the hoses with Shellite which really worked incredibely well, recently upgraded to a little smith so the Orca is gathering dust with the hothead now
Old 2013-05-21, 7:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Yeah, it killed my HH when it did this, complete with shooting flames out of the side ports.

Drain the hose, with the HH attached and open to encourage air flow... Or replace.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-05-22, 10:12pm

I had this happen a few months ago. I got a sopping wet towel and held it under and in front of it, not in the flame.. and just turned it up and it spit and spewed and dragon flamed etc for a while. I figured it was the hose gunk or impurities built up. I then unhooked everything and hung in the sun to drain for the day. Nothing came out, but I hooked it up again and wiped the nozzle with a paper towel and it has been fine since. Lucky I guess? The hose is about 6 months and 5 propane tanks old...
Old 2013-05-29, 7:19am

I use 1 lb tanks and one time the tank was too hot after havin tHe heating pad on it to get the chill off and I took the torch head off and it spit at me, quite a bit, must have been the pressure

~Susan~

Last edited by PatsyEmporium; 2013-05-29 at 7:24am.
Old 2013-05-29, 8:14am

When I was on the hothead this happened once. My husband bled the propane through the hose a bit, a lot of oil came out, and it was fine after that.

Basically, he left the hose connected to the propane tank, disconnected it from the torch, and used the pressure from the tank to push out the gunk. You only do a little bit at a time, and then allow the wind to clear the air of propane before bleeding it more. And do it outside, away from any sources of ignition!

The hose and torch were fine afterward, but I remember now that that is the time I switched from exchangable propane cylinders to a dedicated, brand new, purchased tank. I'm running on regulated gas now, but it's never happened since!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-29, 11:04pm
one day at a time

I worked on my HH 6-8 hours a day for 5-6 days a week, so once a week I unhooked it from the 30 gallon propylene tank, unscrewed the torch, and hung the hose upside down to drain. Oily and watery dirty tea colored stuff drained out. Doing that routine every week kept my torch clean. But I have one of the original HH torchs, the kind you can take apart in pieces and clean the little filter in alcohol. (??) After a year and a half, the torch itself did need a good cleaning.

Dale, if you're reading this - it was such a long time ago, and I remember it was either you that gave me the instructions for cleaning the original torch, or it was on Melinda Melanson's site. I forget where.

Oh...wait.. The newer models cannot be cleaned the same way, right?? They don't come apart the same way?

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-05-29 at 11:09pm.
Old 2013-05-30, 6:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Instructions came off Malinda Melansons site...

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/hotheadinfo.html

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-30 at 6:04am.
Old 2013-05-30, 6:24am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Instructions came off Malinda Melansons site...

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/hotheadinfo.html

Dale
Those instructions are for the old (original) model, right? Is it the same for the newer models? I thought I read somewhere that the newer models couldn't be taken apart. Hopefully I'm wrong?

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-05-30 at 6:26am.
Old 2013-06-11, 1:11pm

Yes, the instructions are for the old model HH. I have no experience with the new models.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-06-11, 7:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can still take them apart.... There is just no orifice in there to clean...

Soaking head in a solvent may help, then again maybe not....

Dale

Old 2013-06-13, 7:28pm

I haven't revisited the torch since we posted this, but I'll try what y'all said.

Ths tank has only been filled about 5 times and it was brand new. So was the hose.