No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-12-20, 12:43pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Default Studio Color?

The basement is where the studio is going to be located that has been decided, now for the next big question.

If you could start fresh and paint your studio any color or colors what would your choice be? I have read that some wish they would have went with white and some go very bold. I have until May to decide and hoped to get some help from you guys. What color is your studio and if you would like to change it what would you change it to. Photos would be nice too.

Thanks for your help,
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-20, 3:44pm
3 times the burn

Hi Tracy -

I've recently had a studio/workshop built in my garage, not that it's getting a lot of use due to the cold and holidays. The colors I chose are a pink/purple for the accent wall and a lighter pink/purple for the remaining walls. I thought about white, but most of my house interior is white in an attempt to make the home appear larger. My inspiration for the colors was the pink/purple dots on a bead I made.

Here's a picture that shows the colors:

Wendy
Old 2007-12-20, 8:18pm
Button Queen

I'm trying to decide on colors also. I'm moving to the basement. I've just finished sweeping up the 16 years' worth of accumulated sawdust. Now I have to decide on paint colors.

I'm kinda thinking of going with a VERY pale almost terra-cotta color. Just enough that it adds some color, but kinda neutralish also. Then maybe some darker accent color for the window sills and the cabinet in the corner.
Old 2007-12-20, 8:29pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I would want eggshell/ecru-ish walls and floors the color that someone here on LE painted theirs... It was a glorious plum/purple color that she had custom mixed.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-12-20, 8:43pm
I practice alchemy!

I will be painting my studio in the near future. I'm going with light yellow walls with one accent wall in lime green and another accent wall in a bright turquoise. I want to put terra cotta tiles on the floor. The trim will all be white to keep it toned down! LOL!
Old 2007-12-20, 8:45pm

I've had white for the years that I've had mine. If I had it to do all over again? White.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-12-20, 9:39pm
Burning Fingers!

I would definately go for white or off-white. It reflects the light so much better. I do my teddy bear sewing in another room from my beading, and unfortunately I painted the walls a deep brick colour and a mustard colour. The lighting is terrible - well actually the lighting is OK, it is just that the walls suck up all the light - no reflection at all. It's a huge studio so it won't be re-painted any time soon.
My bead making room is unfinished drywall colour - if and when it gets finished (who knows when?) it will be painted white, definately white.

/
/
/

Old 2007-12-21, 5:55am

Mine is a bright light blue, almost a light periwinkle. Its a verry cheery color, I have been thinking about painting again though.
I painted it this color when it was still a bathroom, a useless garden tub that took up 8 feet of space the shower & toilet are in another room. So I lucked out when it came to venting & I still have a sink.
I think Ill be going purple soon, Its my favorite.

Jen
Old 2007-12-21, 3:47pm
Floral Obsessed

We have our house interior painted in pale yellows, pale goldenrod and pale lime green - very cheerful, gelato-like colours! I think it works really well in any room - bright but not BRIGHT, and goes with anything.
Attached Images

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-12-21, 4:27pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Something bright, warm and cheerful - like orange. I only painted one room in my house when I moved in and it was a nice, bright-without-being-obnoxious orange for my office to help me want to stay in that room. I have accents of lime green and light wood furniture. LOVE IT - now I just need to unbury it as it became the room where I stashed my not-good-for-kitties items. That comes after I clear enough room in the basement to set up my torch though. I may actually try working on that this weekend.
Old 2007-12-21, 4:35pm

I chose an almost white with a little on the yellow side. Not enough that you walk in and see yellow. Just warms up the room, for me, a little more than white. I also used a semi-gloss (hee, hee... I just typed semi-glass) and it really reflects light into the studio.

Old 2007-12-22, 7:05am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
I chose an almost white with a little on the yellow side. Not enough that you walk in and see yellow. Just warms up the room, for me, a little more than white. I also used a semi-gloss (hee, hee... I just typed semi-glass) and it really reflects light into the studio.
That's funny! I went to Lowe's last night to get paint and I aked for "Semi-glass". The guy said you mean "semi-gloss", not "glass". He probably thought I was an idiot!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-12-23, 2:39pm

Thanks for all your help. I still haven't decided but will have to at some point. Give me reasons for picking white or just off white??? I am not normaly a white or off white type of girl...

Old 2007-12-23, 4:34pm
make beads not war

I went with a turquoise color... Very close to ASK tribal turquoise. No, I did not take the glass rod to the paint store. LOL... You can see pics and such on my blog... the pics are a little huge.

villa-design.blogspot.com
Old 2007-12-24, 8:57am
I practice alchemy!

When we painted our new-to-us home we painted the whole thing bright semi-gloss white because winters with no sun bother me. The white tends to look stark and the shadows are a cold grey. When we started painting the walls with colors the rooms looked warmer, brighter and more inviting. Color is such a personal thing--if white feels right to you that's the color to go for. I've sort of gone color happy after I realized that a can of paint was relatively inexpensive.
Old 2007-12-24, 9:20am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Re: the white/off-white thing...

ONLY for my basesement studio. When I'm choosing or working with color, I need as little external visual stimulation as possible. I also want what I'm looking at to look 'true'. If light is bouncing off colored walls on to my glass or whatever, I find it affects my perception of the color.

We've chosen paint colors for the main floor of our house. All the colors are from the Sherwin Williams Arts & Crafts palette. Buckram Binding for the foyer (It's painted already and looks great). Ruskin Room Green for the living room and a very dramatic Roycroft Adobe for the dining room. It's the "warmer, brighter and more inviting" thing that we're going for. I grew up with off-white walls and stark white ceilings and WAY too much wallpaper. Not for me. Nope.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-12-24, 6:16pm
Mom to 20 paws

I have white and love it. Be careful with color because it can cast off onto what you are working on. Meaning you wont see the actual real color because your light is hitting the walls and that throws color around.

jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2007-12-25, 6:55pm
I practice alchemy!

Oh, I never thought about the wall colors changing the color of what I'm working on. Of course, it all glows orange when it's hot. LOL! I may have to rethink my paint colors.

Celeste
Old 2007-12-26, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
Thanks for all your help. I still haven't decided but will have to at some point. Give me reasons for picking white or just off white??? I am not normaly a white or off white type of girl...
I went with white-and I am SO not a white type of girl. Example: my living room and dining room are (on different walls) deep red, slate blue, an earthy medium purple, and earthy medium pink, and deep purple around the fireplace. I'm going to do my kitchen in shades of blues and grays to go with the granite island I'm also going to have someday.

So, I love color.

But....in my studio....I didn't want reflected color around me to make it even harder to see the colors I was choosing, or what I was working with. Between the florescent lights and the color change from my eyewear, I just didn't think tossing more color into the mix was a great idea. I can put colorful posters and stuff up, if I need the color-and it won't be visually overwhelming.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-12-26, 10:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
Oh, I never thought about the wall colors changing the color of what I'm working on. Of course, it all glows orange when it's hot. LOL! I may have to rethink my paint colors.

Celeste
It could also cause confusion with the rods on your table, grabbing the wrong color...I do it sometimes because of the color on my eyewear.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-12-26, 6:28pm

I painted mine a warm gold color. I like it however it would work better if I had a window in here and better lighting.
Attached Images

Old 2007-12-26, 7:24pm
Your Royal Fritness

Tracy, I stayed pretty neutral, It's kind of an light beige color with white trim. I wanted to add color in with my wall decorations and not go too bold. I did build that wall shelf and I love seeing all the frit and enamels on it. I originally thought (last year) that I would go bold but we painted my daughters room a purple color. I liked it at the time and now I'm pretty tired of it. I wanted my studio to feel peaceful and calm. I think I accomplished that. I promise to take pictures. I'm just waiting to take all the trash off the back deck (hopefully tomorrow) so my pictures will be pretty

Barb, We put terra-cotta tile in the studio and bathroom and the splash of color looks great

Happy New Year!

Dawn

Old 2007-12-26, 9:20pm

Well for me it had to be a shade of purple with white woodwork and hardwood floor. The kitchen part of the studio and bathroom are a shade called dill pickle. I had lots of natural light as well as task light so it doesn't appear dark and I love the cheerful feeling when I walk in. Dicrodi
Old 2007-12-27, 12:31am

White as the predominant color for me with cheerful bright colors for accents. I hate painting, changing the accent colors is easier than painting everything. Not sure I would pick the same thing if I lived in the north but I live in the land of a/c 10-11 months of the year so white also has the advantage of 'feeling' 10° cooler too. Keep debating about the floor, will just have to decide that when I see how I am doing the new studio........from the ground up or revamping a pre-exisiting building. Tentative plan is to use acid stains on cement or terrazzo if I can get it or last resort some kind of clay tile.......no wood, no linoleum as I want durable and fuss-free. I have terrazzo thoughout my home now and love it even after 20 years.

Current studio is pearl gray(very light) with med brown stained moulding, gray cement floor. Don't hate it, don't love it either. I know I will never go gray or even the slightest off white color again though. I have spent the past 20 years thinking the walls look the slightest bit dirty even when they are freshly washed. Have had this happen with both the gray and a very light ivory.

michey
Old 2007-12-27, 4:58pm
sous verre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I would want eggshell/ecru-ish walls and floors the color that someone here on LE painted theirs... It was a glorious plum/purple color that she had custom mixed.
Hi Tink - the paint was from Behr - low luster floor paint (for concrete). The Color is Raspberry Mousse # is S-G-680. Yummy...
Old 2007-12-28, 9:21am

My studio is so small - the closet under the stairs in the basement....I have so much stuff in there..you can't really even see the walls...

It is white - I really like having the wall behind my torch being white cause it won't distort the colors of the glass, flame etc.

In a perfect world, I would still go for pretty light colored walls and get my color fix with great bright accents.

Lisa
Old 2007-12-28, 4:03pm

Mine is pale green with pink accents this is quite an early photo and I have pink shelves and accessories now, very lovely and calming with the sound of the pond waterfall right outside.

Old 2007-12-30, 11:45am

I was thinking a nice shade of yellow but now that most of you talk about it changing the colors of things you are working on maybe off white would work best and then use color other places. I am living in a stark white living room right now and just HATE it. My studio right now is creamy off white and is working well. I didn't paint the room that color it is just the color that was there when we moved in. I do love the colors some of you have painted but I think the color will be saved for the floor. I plan on staining it colors of deep wine. I don't want to have to paint it because paint always chips but if the floor is messed up and stained that may be my only choice.

Old 2007-12-30, 1:26pm
Your Royal Fritness

Tracy, here is my studio color
Attached Images

Old 2007-12-30, 3:37pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Dawn, love your new studio. Especially the built in shelves with all the frit & presses!
Great Job.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/