No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2010-01-05, 9:52am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Default Beadfest Santa Fe

Does anyone have any input on Beadfest Santa Fe?

I'm kicking around the idea of being a lampwork bead vendor at the upcoming Beadfest Santa Fe in March at the La Fonda venue, not the Convention Center.

Research shows me that the Interweave Beadfest shows are respected and well run. I'm trying to get an idea of how well handmade beads sell in Santa Fe and if it's worth the time and expense. For just driving, motel, and table fees, I would be immediately in for at least $1,000.

Beadfest will be running a shuttle between the two venues, which are about two and a half blocks apart. This makes me hopeful that the two venues will get equal traffic.

Input? Experience? Advice? They're all appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-05, 10:01am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

No idea - never attended - but want to keep up with the thread as it might be some place I might to try as part of the "traffic" of buyers!

Old 2010-01-09, 2:11pm

I was behind the Soft Flex booth at Beadfest Santa Fe this past year (Soft Flex was at the Convention Center location) while my Dad had two tables in one of the somewhat hidden rooms at the Hilton location.

For Soft Flex the show was very good, one of our better shows of the year. We do have a prime spot and I know many buyers were excited to finally see the return of the show to Santa Fe.

My Dad did 'okay' at the Hilton location, but it definitely got less traffic than the convention center. Part of the problem was the rooms were spread out in kind of a maze pattern....other than the main ballroom there I think there were another 3 smaller rooms, but you had to zig zag down narrow hallways to find the rooms (even with good signage, which they had, buyers often give up if it is just too much work to find the vendors). The room my Dad was in had a sign outside the door to it that said FREE admission - just to that room, so I guess that goes to show how hard it was to find!

The other problem was that for years buyers were trained to go to and from the Convention Center and the La Fonda - I think moving them to the Hilton last year hurt them because it was totally new.

That being said...I've known many people over the years who used to set up at the La Fonda (traditionally it seemed like more of the artisans had booths there) and did very well. I think there were 2 or 3 rooms they had vendors there in the past. The main ballroom at the La Fonda seemed to get the most traffic, the other two rooms weren't as busy, but I think their tables were less expensive, and I know we (Crystal Myths) had a booth in one of them one year and still did okay (though I remember the lighting being horrible or non-existent).

I think the idea of a shuttle running between them is an excellent idea! It is not a bad walk, but that time of year Santa Fe either gets snow, or is 65 degrees. You never know.

Hope that helps.

Jenny

Old 2010-01-09, 6:10pm

Thank you, Jenny!

From what the Interweave contact said to me in an e-mail, La Fonda seems to be a better venue than the Hilton. And the La Fonda table fee is much less than the Convention Center booth fee.

We would plan to bring some lighting. We have strolled by the La Fonda conference rooms in the past, and, yes, they seem typical of hotel conference rooms: dim. Thank you for the heads-up on that.

I think my husband and I have ourselves talked into participating.

Old 2010-01-10, 9:06pm

I would be curious to hear how this turns out, if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks Jodie

Worlds in miniature a passion for murrini - Jodie McDougall
Old 2010-01-10, 9:25pm

Jodie, I'll be glad to share my thoughts after the show!

Until then, if anyone else has anything to share, please pipe up.

Old 2010-01-16, 9:29am
Still makin' flowers...

Lewis is always a genius at self-promotion, but at the time I felt that he'd really been stuffed in a back corner room. I'm glad it was worth his time anyhow. As far as I can tell many of the other lampworkers there were pretty disappointed.

Last year, I ended up helping out at John Winter's booth at the Hilton (now, that secondary space is La Fonda - I hope the move helps the show), so he gave me some table space in return for running the show while he was teaching. I did really well considering I live north of Santa Fe so didn't have to get a hotel AND didn't have to pay a table fee AND had about four days between finding out and about it and selling some stuff. No prep time, no stress time, everything pretty much just profit for me. If I had any overhead at all, I would have done poorly, but I also probably would have done SOME self promotion beforehand.

Jeannette Cook, who is a beadweaver, did really well with her kits and tutorials however.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2010-01-16, 11:54am

Thanks, Hannah! I have read your post of last year on your experience helping your friend out at Bead Fest, which gave me some hope!

It seems that Interweave was not happy with the Hilton and decided to switch back to La Fonda. I've walked around La Fonda several times over the years, and if I have it scoped out correctly, the rooms where we'll be are readily accessible.

I'm just gonna do it and remain philosophical!

Old 2010-01-29, 10:50am

I think I am going to go and take some classes any one need a room mate??

Old 2010-03-13, 4:06pm

The show is right around the corner! http://www.beadfest.com/beadfest/santafe.cfm If you click on Bazaar to the left of the page you will see the listing of exhibitors at both of the locations.

Anyone here planning to go? I will be behind the Soft Flex booth (# 101 in the Convention Center - same spot as last year). If you are going, be sure to stop by and say hello! We will have a huge selection of gemstones and our NEWest Trios will be there.

My Dad will be visiting the show - but will have some of his new bead sets for sale at April Melody's booth (# 207 - at the Convention Center).

See you in less than a week!

Jenny