No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-07, 3:54pm

Default Glass Kiln for Polymer Clay

Hi!
DO you know if I can use my kiln to fire polymer clay?
Alejandra
Old 2006-03-07, 3:58pm
Type ZZZ personality

No, no, no, no, no!!!
Polymer clay cures at 275˚F. Use your home oven or a toaster oven.

If you are talking about metal clay, then yes, you can use your glass kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-03-07, 5:44pm
ManBearPig

Yep. You can use your kiln to bake polymer clay. Just be sure you have an accurate controller. But, the temperature is so low, if you don't want to use your oven, you can pick up a cheap toaster oven and bake them in that.

Old 2006-03-07, 11:23pm

You can usually get a decent toaster oven at most thrift stores. Use an oven thermometer as the temperatures have a tendency to spike when you least expect them.

Deb
Old 2006-03-08, 9:10am
Where Am I?

Definitely go with a toaster oven. I bought an electric oven just for polymer when I first started working with it. Paid $79. I found out it is nothing more than a toaster oven. I could have gotten the same thing for $25.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-03-08, 10:00am
Safety ALWAYS

I did it, ONCE. A friend wanted me to fire her PMC, but didn't tell me she used polymer clay to hold a couple of things in place.

What an effing mess - black shit flying around, flames in the kiln. Not good. Took forever to clean up the studio.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-03-08, 11:18am
Type ZZZ personality

Besides the mess, burning polymer clay makes toxic fumes. Just like any burning plastic. It's just too hard to keep a kiln at that low of a temperature.

Old 2006-03-08, 12:27pm

Thanks for the info.... I'll go ahead and get a toaster instead. I was just trying to see if I could get by w/o buying more stuff..... The basement is getting a little messy!
Alejandra
Old 2006-03-08, 12:29pm
Type ZZZ personality

You can safely bake polymer clay in your home oven so there's really no need to buy a toaster oven. Unless you are going to bake clay every day, all day long, there is no need to be concerned about using it for food, too.

Old 2006-03-08, 12:38pm
ManBearPig

I will add that if you have a gas stove, I would highly recommend getting something besides that to bake them with. I have heard that gas stoves discolor the clay.

Old 2006-03-08, 1:49pm
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I will add that if you have a gas stove, I would highly recommend getting something besides that to bake them with. I have heard that gas stoves discolor the clay.
That's not necessarily true. Some of the lighter clays tend to brown no matter what oven you use, such as Sculpy white or ivory. This can be avoided by using a foil tent over the clay while baking.