No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-06-20, 4:27am

Lightbulb Very Inexpensive Idea for Glass Rod storage

Hi All,

Just thought I'd leave an idea that has worked for me and allowed me to store my glass rods without taking up a ton of room or costing me a ton of money (gutter pipe with three cuts per and about 8 bucks a pop was going to be too expensive, after all why pay money that can go towards glass and tools???? Sorry but considering the rising costs of construction materials, I doubt pvc would be much better in the price category).
Here's what I've come up with . . . I managed to pick up one of those metal cabinets at a last resort shop, for about 40 bucks (estate sales, shops going out of business, flea markets all good places for that) - and I had realized that I needed the room in the cabinet for other things, but the doors were unused space. I went to Walmart and bought four of those over the door shoe storage pieces (8 dollars per), the ones I selected had 24 mesh pockets. I know I know MESH???? Won't the rods rip that or simply go through the holes? Not if you pick up a bulk pack (Sam's, Price Club, Costco) of those 16 oz plastic cups and place one in each pocket. Voila! Easy storage cost about 40 dollars (80 with cabinet) and I can hold so much glass in them. I've had mine for a year now and not a rip. I typically do not use the bottom row - only because it's low to the ground and I really need to fix the lighting in my studio. Now I have one on each side of the door (eliminating wasted space - and although I can't close the doors that's not a problem because I have no need to do so). It's not quite as pretty and neat, but it is completely cost effective and functional and great for quickly finding what I need. It also allows me to divide my glass more easily - Lauscha, CIM, and the silver glass. I've had no breakage and it's easy to put the glass up after I get a shipment. The items inside the cabinet prevent the cabinet from tipping over.
Note: since there is so much of the Effetre, I managed to find one of those candy racks for the impulse buyer at the register, for a dollar at an estate sale, bought three or four pieces of poster board and spent about 30 minutes for another storage center. I cut the poster board so it gave me a flat surface and cut more poster board folded it over the front part of each row and this prevented rods from sliding out as well as allowing me to label the sections. In the bottom rack, the deepest of the shelves, well that turned out to be a great place to store my boro since it's so much longer than my soft glass.
Hope this helps anyone needing a good solution for storing their glass.
If you'd like a pic just let me know and I will add one (I'd like to see if anyone replies )
Old 2012-06-20, 4:31am

Please post a pic. i am trying to envision the depth of the cups/shoe rack holding the rods.

Thanks, - Jen
Old 2012-06-20, 5:58am

Yes, photos please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-20, 6:45am

Default pics

I've attached three pics - One is the pockets idea and the other is a second impulse buy rack (once you see that you'll get the poster board), this one shows the rack done with bubble wrap. I've had an added thought (and yep my project for the weekend is to REORGANIZE! just desperation till I can get a building ). I could put small holes above each pocket and then a large loop of a zip tie or something of that nature looped through the holes that is above each pocket, this would give added stability for the rods standing straight up. There is some glass in the cabinet, but I made sure to put any heavy stuff on the bottom shelf for stability of the cabinet.
Also note that I have pockets (believe its 2nd or 3rd row for frit (I have so much frit) - and if you look closely at an empty pocket you can see the outline of the cup.
Attached Images

Last edited by aqueous; 2012-06-20 at 6:51am.
Old 2012-06-20, 6:10pm

Very cool. I am not so sure about the shoe rack, i think the ties to hold the rods up would help. LOVE your shelf though, that is great!!
Jen
Old 2012-06-21, 6:49pm

Thanks Moushka - the shelf was a great find. As for the shoe rack, I've had that set up for a year now and have not had a single rod broken, nothing fell out (even though they lean, the cups do a great deal to stabilize), my guy who delivers the tanks has to go between them and the table - still not a rod broken. Like I said, it's not pretty but it is functional.
I'm a programmer by trade which puts me in the habit of not saying anything till I've done my own test, for in a pinch while you are counting pennies and building stock - I'm confident this is a good get by solution until you figure out how you really want everything to be and can go towards a more perm. solution. Plus, bonus maybe it will help some people to look at things and think how could I use that, how can I tweak it and make it functional - if they can start doing that maybe it will also help with their creativity as well (I'm referring to those who are new to glass and still overwhelmed with all there is to it)
Old 2012-06-21, 7:13pm

I understand. I do like that you can see the colors more easily. i have the pvc in a crate system, and have to hold an ott light over the crate to see a true color, lol.

Jen
Old 2012-06-22, 12:06pm

Now there is something I could definitely use some help on - the lighting situation. Mine is a garage studio and it's a large garage (1200 sq. feet) with 15 ft ceilings. Often I'm working at night and the light from the task lamps I have always gives off glares. grrrrr. I still haven't figured the solution for that one - and I'm always moving them to see if I can get a better angle. You would think with a big flame right in front you'd have plenty of light, but just not the case.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could solve that - which lamps would be best, angles, etc. I sure would appreciate it.
Old 2012-06-22, 10:48pm

I got a halogen work light on a clamp and it is clamped directly above my bench to the fan shroud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-06-23, 7:07am

Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Old 2012-06-27, 6:01am

man, looking at all these nice neat studios makes me want to go clean mine!
all the nice colored glass, separated by color/shade, segregated.

all my stuff is shoved in mason jars willynilly style.
Old 2012-06-29, 2:04pm

Take pics - love seeing what others have done for studio set up.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:50am

Neat idea! Thanks for posting the pic too. Some of us are visual learners!
Old 2012-07-16, 10:50am

Neat idea! Thanks for posting the pic too. Some of us are visual learners!
Old 2012-07-18, 10:33am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

make sure to fire polish the ends of the rods sticking out to prevent cuts...
Old 2012-08-01, 7:44pm

If the cups are loose in the pockets you could try folding and stapling a tuck at the top edge to tighten the opening. It might be more strengthening than putting a hole to run ties through. As to the lighting problem, if you presently have fluorescent fixtures you can try full spectrum lights like the ones used for growing plants. I use full spectrum incandescent bulbs with them and between them it comes pretty close to daylight. Also, my hood has full spectrum lights, small, but every little bit helps.

Andrea

Tags
glass rod storage, organization, studio, studio set up, studio tips