LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-24, 11:17am
yukue fumei

WOW-thanks so much Kevan!! I will try that method out for sure!
thank you thank you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-24, 12:32pm
Midnight Torcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post

Hmmm....so is this.

OMG!!!
Kevan, you are the DH queen!

Old 2007-08-24, 12:46pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
LOL. Here's the trick. Don't lay it down nice on the mandrel. Dab it on, swirl it around, mix it up and then heat the heck out of it. Heat it, cool it, reduce it, un reduce it, cool it, heat it. Don't be nice to it.
I didn't do anything to it but make a simple spacer and immediately put it in the kiln. I haven't tried playing with it yet. I just wanted to see what it looks like plain because I like the color.

I'll have to try your way next.
Old 2007-08-24, 12:47pm

haa haa, with that method, mine should be beautiful, I never seem to be nice enough with my glass

Old 2007-08-24, 12:48pm
Entropy increasing....

It's a nice sort of amberish color with the luster effect if you don't be mean to it, also. And it seems to stay like that when it's a thin layer like it would be in a little spacer.

It seems to like it rough.
Old 2007-08-24, 8:45pm

This is T-25 on Vetro black encased...I tried it on Vetro black unencased and the colors were to dark to see...probably should have cooled/heated more. Unfortunately my clear hazed on me so I have to make more.

Old 2007-08-24, 8:51pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Oh! Those are very pretty, Sherry! I have some of the T-25 coming - can't wait to play

Old 2007-08-24, 9:08pm

Thank you Mary Beth

Old 2007-08-24, 9:45pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Please be gentle and take into consideration that I'm on a HH with 1 pound mapp gas, but here are the odds that I played with - all are hollows (and that darned Elektra one popped a hole on me, but did get a nice pink sheen):

Kevan - DH should pay you for advertising! Damn those are gorgeous!
Old 2007-08-24, 10:00pm
Entropy increasing....

Wow, Sherry those are beautiful!

fritobsesed, you have a whole chart going there. I have another odd lot, I'm not sure which it is. I need to go try it.

Damn I wish I had gotten more of them when they were right there in front of me!!
Old 2007-08-24, 10:43pm
Midnight Torcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadlvr View Post
This is T-25 on Vetro black encased...I tried it on Vetro black unencased and the colors were to dark to see...probably should have cooled/heated more. Unfortunately my clear hazed on me so I have to make more.

Whoa, Sherry, those are gorgeous!

I bought some T-25 from Galaxy Glass (thanks Nagibeads!) and now I can't wait for it to get here! Woohoo!

Old 2007-08-24, 11:22pm
Entropy increasing....

I just made a bead from the other kind I have. It looks like amber with a tan stripe inside. I'm not sure what the number is,but I used it over clear and it looks really boro like. I can't wait to see it tomorrow.
Old 2007-08-25, 5:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritobsessed View Post
Please be gentle and take into consideration that I'm on a HH with 1 pound mapp gas, but here are the odds that I played with - all are hollows (and that darned Elektra one popped a hole on me, but did get a nice pink sheen):

Kevan - DH should pay you for advertising! Damn those are gorgeous!
wow!!!
THOSE ARE HOTHEAD BEADS???
yay!!! there's hope for me yet!!!
(i'm on a hothead!)
I really think the silverglass companies should use some hothead users beads on their pages as advertisements (maybe not oddlots but regular colors?) so those of us on babytorches know which glasses really can be worked with *our* setups!!

And Nagi--I like the pastelly bead! (I'm not a big "olive" color fan, so I actually like the pastel "after" color on the ends better I'm such a weirdo!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-08-25, 7:56am
yukue fumei

Sherry- Wow--those beads are cool! you got so much color!!! Bravo! I have some in the kiln--I am crossing my fingers and toes that they look like yours!

MJ-Whoa!! Those are nice!! I am soooo loving your silver color beads you have been posting lately!! WOW!!! And thank you so much for putting the names of the odd lots next to the bead!! I've been thinking lately, 'gosh, maybe I need to get a Hot Head like MJ' after seeing your wonderful silver color beads!!!
And Lyn-- thank you so much for the kind words on my pastelly bead! I appreciate it!

Here is T-28 from the same kilning as the T-25....890F....It stayed purple(woohoo!), but the Terra dots and swirls over it turned beige and look just like the copper green dashes...

nagi

Old 2007-08-25, 9:03am
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
wow!!!
THOSE ARE HOTHEAD BEADS???
yay!!! there's hope for me yet!!!
(i'm on a hothead!)
I really think the silverglass companies should use some hothead users beads on their pages as advertisements (maybe not oddlots but regular colors?) so those of us on babytorches know which glasses really can be worked with *our* setups!!
Thanks Luna! There's lots of info on both the Silver Color how to exchange threads for HH users in the Patio as well as the book with tips the Hayley put together. FYI - I'm using the 1 pound mapp canisters and I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I agree with having HH testers for the silver glasses. I never would've bought the striking glasses from R4 (Van Gogh, Davinci 2) had I realized that it needs to get super hot in order for it to do anything. My little torch just doesn't get hot enough for those and I'm sure that would probably apply to Dali & Michaelangelo. I get color sometimes out of Terra, so I know it's possible, I just haven't figured out exactly what I did when it does work to be able to reproduce it yet.
Old 2007-08-25, 9:08am
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
MJ-Whoa!! Those are nice!! I am soooo loving your silver color beads you have been posting lately!! WOW!!! And thank you so much for putting the names of the odd lots next to the bead!! I've been thinking lately, 'gosh, maybe I need to get a Hot Head like MJ' after seeing your wonderful silver color beads!!!
That's so sweet Nagi. It's only the reducing glasses that I can get to work (and Terra sometimes).

Quote:
Here is T-28 from the same kilning as the T-25....890F....It stayed purple(woohoo!), but the Terra dots and swirls over it turned beige and look just like the copper green dashes...
Dayum woman! My T28 didn't turn out anything like that! Gorgeous color. Was that entirely T28 as the base or did you put it over something, and did you strike it before or after you encased it??
Old 2007-08-25, 9:14am

Thank you Kevan, San, and Nagi

I'm going to hopefully play some more. I love all those colors Nagi.. I just got some T28 in and going to see what it does.

Old 2007-08-25, 9:24am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Quote:
I just made a bead from the other kind I have. It looks like amber with a tan stripe inside. I'm not sure what the number is,but I used it over clear and it looks really boro like. I can't wait to see it tomorrow.
Kevan, that sounds just like my H25. I made some handles on a vessel by stacking dots, and it came out with more color. Very dark browns, but you can definitely see the individual dots I placed while making the handles. Oh yeah, and I'm on a Hot Head!

Quote:
I agree with having HH testers for the silver glasses. ... I get color sometimes out of Terra, so I know it's possible, I just haven't figured out exactly what I did when it does work to be able to reproduce it yet.
Me three! It is really insulting to me that because I'm on a hot head, the glass companies are ignoring me and my needs. Considering how much glass a newbie goes through during the learning process, I would think it would be more profitable. Besides, I am almost not a newbie anymore, and I really like what I've learned by using a hot head. I will always use it, even when I "grow up."

I LOVE terra!!!!! Always get color, straight or encased. Try poking it deeply and then put a dot of clear on top of the poke. Amazing gradations of deep purple in the bottom moving out toward green.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2007-08-25, 9:34am

Great beads everyone. Cool colors. I like the variety even when it isn't as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Where is everyone getting their DH glass? Their site doesn't get me anywhere.
I had the same problem. And I can't get signed up for their newsletter. I was hoping to get some bought for a get together I have planned here the end of Sept, so I wrote them. They said they were switching over some equipment but should be back up sometime in September. Maybe it will be a little easier to come by then.
Old 2007-08-25, 4:13pm

Hey Mona & MJ--I sooooo hear ya! I mean, it only makes sense--there's LOADS of hothead users, and not "all" of us are beginners--I mean, look at Nikki the Sheep Goddess, and *Naos*/Amber, they both use Hothead torches pretty much exclusively & have expressed no desire to upgrade. So does Sarah Hornik (I probably spelled her name wrong...) I believe--and her beads are amazing! We're talking beadmakers who are well known in the community & go through *lots* of glass & make *amazing* beads!

I think Mary Moth used her hothead for something like 2 or 3 years before she upgraded too--she was doing jellyfish on it! Jacinthe/Sarah in the netherlands used hers for a very long time & made some amazing stuff as well! It's *not* just a "beginner" torch! There are people who push it far beyond newbie beads!

I won't be upgrading mine anytime soon either--a kiln is definitely first, (and that may be years away ) and then better living quarters (again...who knows when!) so knowing what works & how would definitely be an "enticement to buy"! The glass companies should realize that just because some of us "use cheap torches" doesn't mean they should discount us as potential customers for their glass...I think they're missing an entire customer base!

~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-08-25, 4:19pm

I agree about the hot head as a fine torch and the testing. If there is a goal to make an item standard production, a range of testing situations would be ideal.
Old 2007-08-25, 8:53pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Love your dedication!! Kiln before home!!

And, less money on the torch means more money in glass!

And, I LOVE all those beadmakers you listed. They DO make fab beads!

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2007-08-26, 8:21am
yukue fumei

Quote:
That's so sweet Nagi. It's only the reducing glasses that I can get to work (and Terra sometimes).

Dayum woman! My T28 didn't turn out anything like that! Gorgeous color. Was that entirely T28 as the base or did you put it over something, and did you strike it before or after you encased it??
Thanks MJ!
It is all T-28 as a base with Terra and red copper green stringer over it. No encasing I waited till the bead was finished to do the cool and strike in the back of the flame thing....T-26 came out of the kiln today...it struck awesome in the flame and lost a bit out of the kiln, but still nice. I'll post a pic in a bit. I tried a bit of Terra and some of it struck and stayed and some of it struck and turned back to brown....so I am thinking it could be how it is handled that makes the colors strike and stay. The one bead where I really over did it and then cooled and struck it again stayed a very nice purple where the other parts that I babied reverted to brown....hmmmm..........

Sherry-thank you!

nagi

Old 2007-08-26, 1:44pm

Default Kittie Experimentals

Here are the results of my experiments. Please don't laugh as the first few came out looking more like dogs than cats!!

c76 - couldn't get this one to do much

c71 - I love this one it turned out a sort of peachy amber that reduced well

T25 - Nice color with light reduction

H25 - Reduced

K66 - Love this one too!

C70 - Another favorite

G46 - Great for sculptural work doesn't melt in real fast.

Gotta go fixing to lose power due to storm will check back in later and will post more pics as I still have a few more odd to try out.
Old 2007-08-26, 3:40pm

Quote:
I mean, look at Nikki the Sheep Goddess, and *Naos*/Amber, they both use Hothead torches pretty much exclusively & have expressed no desire to upgrade. So does Sarah Hornik (I probably spelled her name wrong...) I believe--and her beads are amazing! We're talking beadmakers who are well known in the community & go through *lots* of glass & make *amazing* beads!
Actually, you're one of the only people to ever spell it right.
Thanks!
And I absolutely agree about HotHead testing for new colors. Stop the discrimination! HotHeads RULE!

|
|
|
Old 2007-08-26, 3:43pm
yukue fumei

Donna--WOW!! I am loving your beads!!
Oh my, I must run outside and make some beads!!! Love the lusters you got!! WOOHOO!!!

nagi

Old 2007-08-28, 12:59pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

This is T28 over Dk Violet transparent encased in R4 diamond clear:

I didn't get the purples like you did Nagi, but I'm pretty happy with it!
Old 2007-08-28, 1:05pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Hey Mona & MJ--I sooooo hear ya! I mean, it only makes sense--there's LOADS of hothead users, and not "all" of us are beginners--I mean, look at Nikki the Sheep Goddess, and *Naos*/Amber, they both use Hothead torches pretty much exclusively & have expressed no desire to upgrade. So does Sarah Hornik (I probably spelled her name wrong...) I believe--and her beads are amazing! We're talking beadmakers who are well known in the community & go through *lots* of glass & make *amazing* beads!

I think Mary Moth used her hothead for something like 2 or 3 years before she upgraded too--she was doing jellyfish on it! Jacinthe/Sarah in the netherlands used hers for a very long time & made some amazing stuff as well! It's *not* just a "beginner" torch! There are people who push it far beyond newbie beads!

I won't be upgrading mine anytime soon either--a kiln is definitely first, (and that may be years away ) and then better living quarters (again...who knows when!) so knowing what works & how would definitely be an "enticement to buy"! The glass companies should realize that just because some of us "use cheap torches" doesn't mean they should discount us as potential customers for their glass...I think they're missing an entire customer base!

~luna
I agree! I have no plans of getting a hotter torch anytime soon either. It would be great to have these new glasses tested on our torch too.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-08-28, 1:15pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
This is T28 over Dk Violet transparent encased in R4 diamond clear:

I didn't get the purples like you did Nagi, but I'm pretty happy with it!
WOOHOO! I love the color you got MJ!! And the Psyche beads you did were just.....WOW! Purple metallic holey cow--I want to go home right now and torch!!!

nagi

Old 2007-08-28, 5:49pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
WOOHOO! I love the color you got MJ!! And the Psyche beads you did were just.....WOW! Purple metallic holey cow--I want to go home right now and torch!!!
You sure are good for my self esteem!! Thanks!