Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-02, 9:41am

Default Newbie Question

I have been browsing around a lot and see that there are many tools available for shaping and pressing beads. For instance tools that help you make your beads round, lentil shaped, donut shaped etc. I think this is great and am seriously considering purchasing one or two in the future. (I have to finish paying for my kiln first lol)

However my concern is that I will not become proficient at the basics of bead construction if I don't learn do it without the tools first. Does that make sense? I have a grand total of 10 hrs (maybe) so I know virtually nothing lol! I am all for anything that will make life easier and quicker but wonder if I should wait on the short cuts and really learn how to make a bead without the helpers.

Sonjahttp://www.silverriverjewelry.com
Old 2009-09-02, 10:50am
Calendar Girl

I would definitely get my skills down first. Maaaaybe get one press, or borrow one just to see what it's like. I don't torch consistently, and when I haven't done it for a while, it takes me a day of fulglies and wonkies to get back in the groove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-02, 11:01am

Sonja,

Probably the single most useful tool you should get for yourself is just a plain old kitchen paring knife. You can use it as a marver and can make slices with it. The more you use it, the more uses you will find for it. That being said, you can never have enough tools. Until you can afford to purchase more, start with the paring knife. Be sure to dip it in some water periodically to keep it cool enough to not stick to the glass. Happy torching.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-09-02, 11:07am
Did someone say SALE?

Sonja, I agree with getting the basics down first. The presses can actually be a little tricky to use anyway, although fun. I used my bbq style mashers at first, and I think that is easier than a press to get started with and help get the "feel" for squashing a bead. I have purchased a few presses now, and I still struggle with them a bit. But I have only been at it for a year now, and I have a full time job... so that's my excuse! lol
Old 2009-09-02, 1:32pm
specializing in obnoxious

I find the presses to be rather limiting when compared to other shaping tools such as mashers, picks and rakes.

Try the game room press exchange. This month I am in posession of the triangle press for the low cost of shipping.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2009-09-02, 1:58pm

Presses can be a great addition to your tools but I think you are on the right track getting comfortable with the glass first. It will only mkae it easier when you get your first press.
Old 2009-09-02, 3:16pm

Thank you everyone! I have a set of tools that I got at harbour frieght with different tips on them, like a pic and a triangular thin head etc. I have found those to be most useful lol! I do have a couple of lovely paring knives from pampered chef that would do nicely. Especially since I don't use them in the kitchen lol!
I am still working on even and round at the moment and I too work a job so I will just take it slow.

Sonja

http://www.silverriverjewelry.com
Old 2009-09-02, 3:36pm
Likes to melt stuff...

One of the things I had to get used to when I first started was the "gravity" of glass -- how it is effected by not only by the flame but also by the movement of your hands, the way you rotate, etc. You truly are smart to want to get a really good feel for glass as a beginner. You'll be a better artist for the effort!
Old 2009-09-02, 3:50pm

lol I have noticed that it is definitely affected by the way I rotate. And not usually the way I intended lol! I am going to make myself some of those toilet paper armrests and see if that doesn't help stabilize my arms and hands.