Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2013-02-02, 11:56am

Default 2013 Iditarod Beads on the Trail BOC call to artists

Alaska Beads of Courage artists are calling all LE artists to rise to the BOC Iditarod Challenge. This will be our second year of collecting lampwork beads to ride the exciting trail of the last great race on earth. Beads collected will be packaged along with the official BOC pewter Husky, musher thank you note, and a card to return with the bead with a personal note from the musher (last year, lead dog paw prints were also sent). Returned beads will be auctioned off at the annual Mushers sendoff and at the annual Alaska BOC flame off.

Note to artists - suitable beads are those that can survive a 998 mile dog sled ride through the coldest and most beautiful country on earth. Of course we will be packaging your artwork for the ride and all pieces returned last year survived the trip. See the following link on facebook for an album of what we did last year (
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

We will let each artist know which musher is carrying your artwork so you can track them on the trail. There are 69 Mushers committed at this point so please help us meet the goal of each of them carrying a handmade bead.

All beads due to Artmosphere Studio by Feb 24 to be packaged up. Delivery to mushers is on Thursday, Feb 28 to ready for the March 2 race start date.

Please send your bead to:

Artmosphere Studio
801 East 82nd Avenue, Unit 16A
Anchorage, Alaska. 99518

Please provide your contact information as well as your LE id.

thanks much in advance

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-03, 12:05am

As a current bead maker and former sled dog racer I will have to send in some beads for this
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2013-02-03, 1:47am

Thanks so much Morgan! We will watch for your art.

Laura

Old 2013-02-03, 2:41am

What an exciting experience & a great thing for the BOC children!
ginger
Old 2013-02-03, 5:38pm

the amusing thing for me is that I was a kid of 10-12 racing my own team so it is even more appropriate

#C-151
Old 2013-02-20, 2:49pm

beads on the way
fyi I sent all Boro work so it should withstand the trip just fine

#C-151
Old 2013-02-25, 5:19am

Quote:
beads on the way
fyi I sent all Boro work so it should withstand the trip just fine
Did they make it on time?

#C-151
Old 2013-02-26, 9:23pm

Morgan, we are still watching for them.

Laura

Old 2013-02-26, 10:18pm

that is weird I sent them next day
I will have to call usps tomorrow to find out what happened and get a refund sheesh!

#C-151
Old 2013-02-27, 2:54am

you have had my beads since the 21st my businesses card was inside from morgan and nicolinas flameworked glass. it was sent to the above address and I put attn beads of courage on the label.
besides the beads there was a clear glass egg with a blue swirl
Please let me know that you have them, hopefully usps actually delivered it to the correct address.
They where a donation but they where all firsts so it is a rather big loss

Express MailŪ

Delivered

February 21, 2013, 10:51 am

ANCHORAGE, AK 99519

Guaranteed By:
February 21, 2013, 12:00 PM

Proof of Delivery

#C-151

Last edited by Baywinger; 2013-02-27 at 2:59am.
Old 2013-02-27, 12:20pm
Beads Beads Glass

I wish I new about this before today!!!

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2013-02-27, 12:21pm
Beads Beads Glass

wait... are you calling for beads for 2014? I can so do that!

working on new blog
Old 2013-02-27, 11:13pm

Morgan, they are checking the neighbors shops. We are handing out to mushers Friday so will let you know when we track them down.

Kimberly, you can start prepping for 2014 and send them in when you get a chance.

Laura

Old 2013-02-28, 8:52am
Beads Beads Glass

COOL!!! Thanks, I will start making beads for next year
... how many should I send in??

working on new blog
Old 2013-03-01, 2:54pm

We will be calling for beads for 2014 as well, so yes, please start planning! Last year we had everyone make 11 beads - 1 for the trail and 10 replicas to go for fund raising at our Childhood Cancer Awarness Month event in September (the replicas were sold BOGO - Buy one - Give one to BOC, so an even number of replicas is requested). This year we were so late getting started we just wanted beads - and thanks to the amazing lampworking community out there on LE and Facebook - we got them!

BEST NEW of the day! The missing box of boro beads from Morgan and Nicolina has been found! The postman put it into the package box, but didn't give us a key in our box. Today my studio mate sat at the mailboxes all morning till he showed up so she could ask him in person. They will be delivered by Iditarod Communications Director Erin McLarnon tomorrow morning at the ceremonial start. She asked for a list of all mushers that didn't take one yesterday at the mushers meeting and will personally ask them to carry the remaining beads. Any beads left over after that will go to Nome with Iditarod Trail Committee staff. It might be a cushier ride than on the sleds, but they will get to Nome!
Old 2013-03-02, 11:07am

Quote:
We will be calling for beads for 2014 as well, so yes, please start planning! Last year we had everyone make 11 beads - 1 for the trail and 10 replicas to go for fund raising at our Childhood Cancer Awarness Month event in September (the replicas were sold BOGO - Buy one - Give one to BOC, so an even number of replicas is requested). This year we were so late getting started we just wanted beads - and thanks to the amazing lampworking community out there on LE and Facebook - we got them!

BEST NEW of the day! The missing box of boro beads from Morgan and Nicolina has been found! The postman put it into the package box, but didn't give us a key in our box. Today my studio mate sat at the mailboxes all morning till he showed up so she could ask him in person. They will be delivered by Iditarod Communications Director Erin McLarnon tomorrow morning at the ceremonial start. She asked for a list of all mushers that didn't take one yesterday at the mushers meeting and will personally ask them to carry the remaining beads. Any beads left over after that will go to Nome with Iditarod Trail Committee staff. It might be a cushier ride than on the sleds, but they will get to Nome!
good news!

#C-151
Old 2013-03-02, 6:30pm

Default Link to Bead and Musher list on Artmosphere Studio's Facebook

The bead list is up. Morgan - I think you're going to be happy! We had some big names left till the last minute and yours all went with big names! (potential winner big names!)

Old 2013-03-02, 8:51pm

Quote:
The bead list is up. Morgan - I think you're going to be happy! We had some big names left till the last minute and yours all went with big names! (potential winner big names!)

awesome!

#C-151
Old 2013-12-19, 6:19pm
Beads Beads Glass

is it time to send yall some more beads??

working on new blog
Old 2014-01-05, 4:36pm

Kimberly,
Yes, it's time to get ready. I will be posting a new thread with info... We are going for replicas this year since we have some time.

Laura

Old 2014-01-05, 5:25pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Let me know... I can do it this year!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-01-08, 6:56am

I would like more info on the next run too.