Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-22, 7:48am
LE cat whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetcameron View Post
My next question. Can you get the colors in Kim Neely's tutorial with any of the Bullseye glasses? I tried looking on the Bullseye site yesterday, but didn't find anything that sounded like it reduced to multi colors.

AND - I ordered my Whitmore storage cubes. Maybe I can be organized now!! I think I'll just put my platic piping in the cubes, and start labeling!!
I hope you enjoy your storage cubes as much as I have enjoyed mine. Make sure you insert and wire some of the grid walls inside the cube to compensate for the shorter rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tanya Harness-Floyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-07-22, 8:00am

Thanks!

Old 2010-07-22, 8:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetcameron View Post
My next question. Can you get the colors in Kim Neely's tutorial with any of the Bullseye glasses? I tried looking on the Bullseye site yesterday, but didn't find anything that sounded like it reduced to multi colors.
I don't have that tutorial because I'm resisting the call of 104 silver glasses. I've toyed with the idea of making my own "amber purple" in bullseye with silver and germanium, but doggone, that would be a lot of work. I REALLY wish they would do it for us.

You could certainly approximate this look by making a muddled rod. By that I mean either
- stripe all the luster colors (blue, green, amber, copper green and some aurora if you have some, onto one of the luster colors (your choice). Heat this to let it ball up and LIGHTLY smoosh and twist it around to muddle up the different lusters. Do NOT mix this too much. Then pull it back out into a usable sized rod. This will give you smaller color sections on your final rod.
or
-Make a barrel of a parent luster color. Dot small quantities of each of the luster colors randomly on this barrel. Heat and pull back out into a rod. This will give you bigger color sections on your final rod.

Since the luster glasses produce blues/greens/golds/and silvers, this "should" work in approximately the same manner as some of the reducing 104 glasses. Depending on the base glass that you use and how much you reduce these, you can get the appearance of pinks (and probably purples).

Now, if you're really adventurous, you can silver fume some cranberry pink, lt orange striker, chartreuse, carrib blue, and then add those to your muddled cane. (I know these colors work. Others may work, but I haven't used them). These make approximations of silver colors that "act like" silver colors - a little.

Good luck and post pictures if you try this.
Old 2010-07-22, 8:48am

Lynda, you are brilliant.

Old 2010-07-22, 9:09am

no, just frugal. This is a really great way to mix colors to get the variegated look of silver glasses.

It's how I did the feather bead in this picture - sorry it's kind of dark. Muddled blues with blue and amber luster
Old 2010-07-22, 9:46am

Holy cow!! I am amazed. You are my idol! Those beads are beautifil!!
I will try mixing a couple of colors and see what I come up with - I have some of the amber, blue and green so I'll try. I haven't tried fuming yet. I wish I had more time. I only get to do lampwork Sat and Sunday morning for a couple of hours.

Old 2010-07-23, 6:04am
Karen James

Lynda, I'm going with the brilliant. What is the phrase? Necessity is the mother of invention.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-07-25, 2:28pm

OK here is my attempt. I did the green, blue and amber, and some aurora. I added goldstone to the beads, too. I have no idea how I did because I have never been done this before. Lynda, you are the Bullseye Guru. You know so much!!

Old 2010-07-26, 10:30am
Karen James

That is a beautiful combo Janet! I love it!

Karen

Old 2010-07-26, 3:25pm

Thanks. I got so concerned about the color reactions that I forgot to reshape them, and then was afraid to fool around with the shape once I had to color, but that's the way it goes!! Next time I'll try to get both!

Old 2010-07-28, 5:35am
Karen James

I know how that goes!

Karen

Old 2010-07-31, 3:15am

Another thread was talking about dating glass. Do people date the Bullseye? It never occurred to me that there might be compatability differences. If there are, boy am I in trouble!! (although so far I haven't had problems)

Old 2010-07-31, 11:42am

No, I don't date it. And for the easy colors, I don't even label every rod any more.

Their color is consistent and there aren't really compatability issues, so, there's not as much need.

That said, they are in labeled cubes.
Old 2010-07-31, 11:46am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I do label all my rods as I leave a lot out on my table, but I do not date my BE.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-01, 2:37am

Phew!! I haven't had any problems, and figured that Bullseye is pretty consistent, but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Old 2010-08-01, 12:45pm

I have a chart with sample pieces on it. I only label the odd lots and a few very similar colors. I don't label 100 black, but do the stiff black.

Bullseye's runs have always been pretty consistent.

I only wish they made a clear that was bubble free. It use to be the clear stringers, especially the 1mm were pretty bubble free. That doesn't seem to be true anymore.

By the way I am happy to send blank charts to anyone who wants one. Just email me. I have included the "contains" and "reacts with" information on the charts. If you have the charts hanging where you can see them while working it can be useful when picking colors on the fly.

bousky@earthlink.net

Old 2010-08-01, 6:30pm

please (in a few minutes) check out the new thread for Bullseye lusters...

And yes, this is a teaser post. I've got pictures to edit and post....
Old 2010-08-01, 6:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-08-01, 7:24pm

sorry, had to kid wrangle. Pictures are edited and will be up in 5-10 minutes
Old 2010-08-03, 7:03am
Karen James

I emailed my BE Rep a couple of times about this, but I have not gotten a response. I know someone here can answer this for me. When the new odds come out and we get notification of them, is there a set amount we have to order/glass color? For example, if one of the colors on the list is Baby Blue, do I have to order a full pound or can I order 1/4, 1/2, etc.?

Karen

Old 2010-08-03, 8:02am
Happy Beadmaker!

Hey Lynda, thanks for the tip on encasing the lusters! They're my fav but I usually only use them un-encased!!!! Can't wait to give it a go...

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-03, 8:07am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
I emailed my BE Rep a couple of times about this, but I have not gotten a response. I know someone here can answer this for me. When the new odds come out and we get notification of them, is there a set amount we have to order/glass color? For example, if one of the colors on the list is Baby Blue, do I have to order a full pound or can I order 1/4, 1/2, etc.?
They come out the first Thursday of every other month (this month is one of them) at approx 1 pm EDT. It comes via email - you might want to call and make sure you get added to the email list. And you have to order a full pound if you order direct from BE.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-08-03, 10:38am

I never knew how often they came out. Boy do they get me in trouble though!! They have some really great rods!!

Old 2010-08-03, 11:15am

I'm really hoping that there are several good new colors this month. And really hoping that they come out with an amber purple -Clio type color. That would be fantastic.
Old 2010-08-03, 3:44pm
Karen James

Thanks, and I am definitely on the mailing list. She confirmed that for me. She just never got back to me about how much I would need to purchase/color.

Thanks again for the answer! CC is ready

Karen

Old 2010-08-09, 5:54pm

Incidentally, where's the best place to order new BE odd lots nowadays if you want less than a full pound of each? I used to order from Breezy, and I feel pretty lost now that she's shut down.

Old 2010-08-09, 6:35pm

Danielle,
I carry Bullseye by the rod. I thought I'd have the new odds in today but looks like it will be tomorrow. Have lots of odds available from previous runs.
Just click on signature!

Old 2010-08-09, 7:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Incidentally, where's the best place to order new BE odd lots nowadays if you want less than a full pound of each? I used to order from Breezy, and I feel pretty lost now that she's shut down.
We have a lot of the older odds if you are looking for them by the rod!
Paula (CT)

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-06-01, 12:27pm

Can anyone tell me which Lavender colors they like and why?
If you had to choose two pinks which one is your favorite?
Which transparent is like rubino oro Coe 104 (to layer for flowers)
Thanks, MarieAnn
Old 2011-06-01, 1:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

Not counting special production colors ...

Quote:
Can anyone tell me which Lavender colors they like and why?
Neo Lavender Opal and Transparent are pretty but they do color shift.

Quote:
If you had to choose two pinks which one is your favorite?
I like Light Pink and Fuchsia Transparent, Pink and Petal Pink Opal.

Quote:
Which transparent is like rubino oro Coe 104 (to layer for flowers)
Cranberry Pink and Cranberry Sapphrine.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Tags
bullseye