Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-26, 9:22pm
Ad astra per aspera

Mine is on the way. I can't wait to play/test some of these colors. I'm crossing my fingers it arrives for Thursday or Friday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-26, 11:32pm

Kym,,what Drafly said.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-01-27, 5:20am

Thanks Jim and Karen..... Where's the smilie for sweating buckets?

Kym
Old 2009-01-27, 6:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
So far I have seen a few spacers made out of this glass and I see it's going for upwards of $20 a lb on Ebay, very few people have actually used it, some of the colors seem nice.

Why is it going for that much when almost no one has used it?

I'm not against buying glass from India. India is a democracy.

Does anyone have anything to show with it using it with other glass? Is it better than the Italian glass? If not why is it suddenly going for more when no one has used it?

It's all very odd to me. I want to see it and get more reviews before I buy it.
Hey Kevan--I wouldn't bid it up on eBay either--that seems completely silly to me!
But...I *would* (and did ...and I'm not supposed to be buying glass...but...yeah, ramen noodles again ) just email & order a pound or two direct--that way you just pay the opening bid price. I mean, seriously--$5.99 a pound is pretty darn cheap to try out a color in the grand realm of glass (particularly when you compare it to, say, R4, DH, Precision, etc....hell, some of those are $4.00 a ROD to "try out" to see if you can get results out of 'em...and some of us *still* can't!...even *with* grand reviews & hundreds of people snatching them up all the time for hundreds of $$$ a pound)
Not saying "omg, switch over to this"....but, heck, whatcha seriously got to lose by trying a pound, or two? Enough people we actually trust (ie: Bubby, who we know actually ships coffee ) have touched the glass, know it exists & they do *ship* it, so...why not *try* a single color, or two...it's glass, glass is FUN, & I *know* you do stuff like "single-color-goddesses" & your hubby does those pretty hollows--there's gotta be a color there you could test with moretti/DH/R4 etc. & if it totally SUCKED, still use it up as a "single color" & get your whopping $6 back out of it by selling one "single color" bead!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-27, 9:58am
Trying to Hope!

Here are my shells both with Mettalic black one has 104 raku frit and 1 has a thick swirl of Van Gogh r4 melted in swirled around the base

the black sorta swallowed the swirl however the van gogh sorta turned purple in the swirls as well

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-27, 10:23am
Just me

Beautiful Wendy!
How did you find working with the metallic black?
I haven't had much time to really work with it yet.

Old 2009-01-27, 10:49am

Wendy, Beautiful beads and very inspirational to us Newbies. I want to order some Raku powder and try it on this glass.
Jim
Old 2009-01-27, 12:47pm
Creatrixie

WOW Wendy...the shell with the raku frit is stunning! Really successful testing there.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-01-27, 6:35pm

ooh, it likes 104 raku! wonder how it likes magic 104? (making notes to myself )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-27, 6:47pm
jessica barksdale

wendy, that shell is GORGEOUS. holy crap.

unfortunately other than that i am useless to this discussion as i am an evil boro broad.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-01-27, 6:58pm

now is that the normal sort of result you get with the raku? or is it the glass that made the difference. If I got that result I'd say it was the glass because raku hates me. does raku like you?

Old 2009-01-27, 7:23pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

That's pretty typical results for Wendy with raku, Rob. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
now is that the normal sort of result you get with the raku? or is it the glass that made the difference. If I got that result I'd say it was the glass because raku hates me. does raku like you?

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-01-27, 7:23pm
Trying to Hope!

This is actually the first time I have ever used 104 Raku I love love love Raku but it doesnt always love me

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-27, 7:24pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

Different raku for you. Nice job! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
This is actually the first time I have ever used 104 Raku I love love love Raku but it doesnt always love me

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-01-27, 7:32pm

I have no pictures right now but I have to say that I really do like this glass. I have made lots of floral and leaf cane with wonderful results. I LOVE the metalic black and it's nice to have some different colors to work with. I also love the semi-trans colors. The glass reminds me of Satake in color and somewhat in the way it melts. So far, so good.

Also, the customer service is awsome which is very important to me. They have been nothing but nice and fair.

Very happy!!!

Old 2009-01-27, 7:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
That's pretty typical results for Wendy with raku, Rob. Angelique
okay Wendy!! you've now made the list!

Old 2009-01-27, 8:57pm
Just me

Please do share your results with this glass. Having seen your beads in the gallery I am certain you will make really beautiful things with it.

I agree about the semi-trans colors, I had to go get more of those.
A word of warning though, I've had problems encasing the periwinkle blue color of the semi-transparents, I've only made two beads with it though. I have a couple things I want to try and see if I can get it to cooperate or figure out if I'm doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I have no pictures right now but I have to say that I really do like this glass. I have made lots of floral and leaf cane with wonderful results. I LOVE the metalic black and it's nice to have some different colors to work with. I also love the semi-trans colors. The glass reminds me of Satake in color and somewhat in the way it melts. So far, so good.

Also, the customer service is awsome which is very important to me. They have been nothing but nice and fair.

Very happy!!!

Old 2009-01-27, 11:52pm
Burning through glass

Ok yeah, that Raku looks absolutely amazing on that bead!!! Do tell!! Is it easier to work with on this black...because it just seems to sing with it! Very defined line, color gradient....hats off to you Wendy!! Oh la la!!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2009-01-28, 9:01am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Wendy .. did you do anything special to get that metallic to rise ?
I purchased some and cant for the life of me get it to do anything . I swear its reg black . I asked her and she said they didnt have any reg black .But they have reg black listed on ebay . What I got doesnt have any sheen to it at all in rod form .
Strange since I have no problem pulling it out of the moretti metallic black or DSP .

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2009-01-28, 9:09am

You have to heat the glass and let it cool off really well and then hit it with a oxy flame. It's a bit tricky but it does work beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
Wendy .. did you do anything special to get that metallic to rise ?
I purchased some and cant for the life of me get it to do anything . I swear its reg black . I asked her and she said they didnt have any reg black .But they have reg black listed on ebay . What I got doesnt have any sheen to it at all in rod form .
Strange since I have no problem pulling it out of the moretti metallic black or DSP .

Old 2009-01-28, 9:26am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Well, I broke downa and finally ordered some. It really is a good deal and I figure it never hurts to try.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-01-28, 12:49pm
Logan's mommy

Wow. That is awfully nice of you. Please let us know when more of that corally color arrives. I'm pretty sure you named it Salmon. I love that color and was disappointed you were all sold out.

Old 2009-01-28, 1:15pm

While your all on the subject of glass.....can anyone tell me what is A7 and A8 glass??? I've seen some georgeous beads in the gallery and they say they are using A7 or A8 rods. I've never heard of it. Who might sell it, how much it is and I've googled with no luck. Hopefully someone out there will help me??? Thanks!!

noon
Old 2009-01-28, 1:18pm
da General

Noon - it's made by StrikingColor.

http://strikingcolor.com/

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-28, 1:20pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Yes , it is awfully nice of her . Natashia has always been so quick to resond , its much appriciated .
The salmon is soooooooooo pretty . Under vetro clear ( im not sure about other clears) it stays a nice light beige . Heres a set I did with it and SIS.

Natashia dear , I wouldnt accept a free pound . Its not your fault I cant work its magic !

Many Blessings,

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2009-01-28, 1:28pm
Just me

Oh Janelyn,
Those are cool!
Man, I have exactly two rods of the salmon and will be using it sparingly for flowers.
Dern me for being slow to get on the ball and order more! Same with the butterscotch two rods, out of stock.
I need a kicking myself smiley.
I did get some metallic black though.

Old 2009-01-28, 2:25pm
just plain silly

Well, I'm no expert but I really like the 12 colors I got that I have tried so far. I am extremely picture challenged and have no idea how to post - but I can say I made a heart with the metallic black with some Triton and the colors are eye-popping KILLER cool! Out of the many hundreds of hearts I've made, it's my most favorite ever!

I also tried the white semi opaque which has a bluish green hue to the rod - not really a white at all. It turned the typical yellowish brown color that many whites do with silver foil added but stayed a pale bluish as a plain spacer.

The (pale periwinkle) blue semi opaque is a nice color and did well with some silver scrolls ( I used Nyx stringers for all the silver glass). I wanted to encase it and I see Bubby said she had a cracking problem. I am still going to try it but will try one first before making a whole set.... thanks for the heads up Bubby!

The marine semi opaque is a very pretty medium green/blue. The spacer with the Nyx stringer had a very nice reaction with dark lines on both sides with shiny oil slick in between.

The most interesting and surprising reaction came from the baby green semi opaque. It looks like celery in the rod form and seemed to turn lime colored in the flame. I didn't like the color so I put foil on one (it turned a light moss color with a golden hue) so I am not quite sure what the plain spacer color would be. I put the Nyx stringer on the other 2 and they look like a Dirty Martini light olive color with a shiny fumey look. The glass seems to act very similar to several of the Messy colors.

I tried some of the violet opaque hoping to find a perfect cheap BOC heart color.... I did not! The hearts came out of the kiln more of a gray than purple. The transparent purple color seemed to thin out a lot when put over a pink opaque base so I'll have to put more on next time to stay more purpley.

I washed my rods with soap and alcohol when I got them and didn't experience the bubbling. I had some splintering and shooting because I didn't pre-heat the thick rods but it wasn't excessive and totally my fault. I work on a Cheetah and didn't notice that the glass was stiffer. In fact, the violet seemed soupier than Moretti and Vetro when I went to smash it flat for a heart... probably just me.

Overall, a very nice glass for not a lot of money and I am anxiously waiting for them to get loads more to play with. The customer service is exceptional and the shipping was very fast. Thank you Natasha! I will buy more - but she is already out of a lot of the interesting colors so I'll wait semi-patiently for her next shipment!

The only teeny tiny negative (not really a complaint) I can find is that about a half dozen of my rods were broken and tiny shards of glass were caught up in the batting when I pulled it out of the box. I thought I had cleaned it up pretty well but I'm still picking up tiny sharp pieces from my floor because the dogs fluffy paws spread it around quickly. I think that wrapping the glass in bubble wrap would have protected it better from my kick boxing mailman!.... maybe a thought for the future.

Suzanne
Old 2009-01-28, 2:30pm
just plain silly

Very lovely beads Janelyn! I hope she gets lots of salmon in the next shipment so I can try some of that beautiful color.... and tons of metallic black - hint hint!

Suzanne
Old 2009-01-28, 4:09pm

Suzanne, Thanks for that report. It is very informative.

Birdie, When do we get to see a pic. of that Opal blue that turned coppery red?

Barb, I am enjoying a cup of your Buzz-Joy, Ethiopian Misty Valley coffee. We love it! Thanks.

Regards, Jim
Old 2009-01-28, 5:27pm
Ad astra per aspera

Mine came today! Unfortunately it's too late to play this evening (other plans) but I have a date with the torch tomorrow! Can't wait.

Tags
devardi, missing posts?