Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-27, 4:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
That statement was referring to the shattering rods, lol, which most handpulled glasses do-especially the odd lots

Cracking happens-due either to user error, just because, or that there's a trick to it (encasing moretti/vetro reds anyone?).
I am sorry.I beg to differ. All of my Lauscha is hand pulled and it doesn't "shatter." Are you referring to thermal cracking with thicker rods when the are not preheated?

Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-27, 4:29pm

Jack I love the pen beads, especially the last one..

Olga your beads are lovely, I really like the twisty on your third picture!

Michelle

Old 2009-02-27, 4:59pm

Okay I don't get this. If lauscha is indeed 104 coe and is supposed to be compatible with all 104's why does it need to be annealed at 980, when the recommended anneal temp for all other 104 is 968 ?

Does that not stand to reason then that we have no idea what the coe of Lauscha is?

Does to me....sorry but the above reasoning makes no sense at all to me.

I have had many Lauscha beads crack on me and most had silver in them and others had copper mesh. Not something I can afford to waste and will no longer use any Lauscha for encasing or to combine with my 104's.

Seems the only common thing here with cracking is using silver with 104 glass and then adding lauscha to the mix, at least thats what I get when I did a seach of this issue.

Ah anyway, the beads are great and and I am still really really liking that salmon!

J
Old 2009-02-27, 5:03pm
I fart diamonds

Ok. Can we please stick with the topic of this thread? Devardi Glass?

Old 2009-02-27, 5:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I am sorry.I beg to differ. All of my Lauscha is hand pulled and it doesn't "shatter." Are you referring to thermal cracking with thicker rods when the are not preheated?

Paula
ok, first off-I haven't even used Devardi.

Second-I'm throwing chocolate to you and backing off slowly

I was replying to a post that said they weren't going to use the glass due to shattering rods and cracking beads.

I think every single one of us can think of various colors of glass that shatter down the rod no matter what you do. Opal yellow and EDP come to mind right off the bat. I've read that many of the odd lot colors do this too. Some of it is certainly due to failure to preheat thicker rods (user error). Some of it is due to long bubbles running down the glass. Some of it just hates us and will shatter when we melt it no matter what we do.

Cracking beads-some glass just cracks when mixed with other glass-unless you know the "trick". Higher annealing temp for Lauscha, a wrap of clear underneath the moretti/vetro red/orange/yellow you intend to encase. There's also glass out there that you can't mix much at all-opalinos or alabastros, I can't remember which, but not only are the rods a PITA to use, but if you mix them much they crack. I use them for single color spacers, since I can't remember which is which with that, when I'm in the mood to duck flying pieces of glass.

I'm reading this thread because I intend to buy the glass when the next batch comes in. I want a heads up on the tricks and tips with it. I'll have to reinvent the wheel on some of it, just because that's my nature, but I really don't like seeing logic that doesn't follow ie: "I'm not buying it because the rods shatter and beads crack". Plus the fact of the most recent cracked bead being from a person who hasn't annealed them yet, and used lauscha clear for encasing-you can't blame the devardi alone for cracking, there are too many other plausible causes for the cracking.
Old 2009-02-27, 5:42pm
Ad astra per aspera

Just thought I'd report in (because I still have a touch of cynicism) that all of the beads I've posted in this thread are still intact. Woo!

ETA: That means they're all at least 3 weeks old.

Old 2009-02-27, 5:51pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

All mine are still intact too minus the 1 that had a thermal and clear crack right out of the kiln. Going to play some more with it tomorrow.
Old 2009-02-27, 10:48pm

Mine are good too! Jack, I love the second bead you have pictured there! I think I might need to order smore metalic black! I also need to get back to the torch and do some more stuff with the Davardi. I have been so busy. I'm so glad I get to see pics and read your comments too.

Thanks for all of your imput. I think it is very helpful to those who would like to try the glass.

Old 2009-03-01, 9:19am

Ah you guys are killing me. I went to order some and all the colors I like are sold out!

I will be stalking the site from now on...LOL

J
Old 2009-03-01, 12:31pm

I hear it will not be long before all the new colors will be in.
Jim
Old 2009-03-01, 9:01pm
Just me

Does anyone have any bead pictures or can share their experience with that dark rose color I totally missed out on?
I would love to hear about it and see how it compares to rubino.

Old 2009-03-01, 10:42pm
Ad astra per aspera

I wish! The only thing close to pink I got was the salmon color.

Old 2009-03-02, 10:52am
Just me

Well somebody bought it all!
Lets hope just one of them posts to this thread to make us all jealous.

Old 2009-03-04, 7:09pm

Yes I have been waiting to see how those pinks look as well. Love Rubino, but the price is tough to swallow and the fact I can't see the gold, kinda bugs me...lol

Yeh so I want big chunks of Gold! Who doesn't?

J
Old 2009-03-04, 9:56pm

No pictures, but my metallic black bead (yeah, it's not pretty & my camera is *still* at my sis's house 80 miles away--I'm an idiot) with striking glass color silver glass is still in PERFECT shape after a month of total abuse (smashing around in a baggie with 3 other beads in my coat pocket!)--it's got a melted in spot of striking color on one side & a round raised ball (like a gazing ball) on the other side, that's perfectly adhered still
No cracks, no weirdness, still a "stable" bead....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-05-07, 12:17pm

Looks like you can sign up for their newsletter and be informed as soon as the glass comes in.
Old 2009-05-07, 7:17pm
Tacki

I'm an idiot... wrong thread...
Old 2009-06-16, 6:16am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I've been chatting to Shawnette this past week or what about Devardi glass. The more I read and see, the more I get ants in my pants to try this glass out. The semi-opaques really draws me, and I guess I will start with that.

Furthermore, I make huge honking big beads - easily use 2 rods per bead ... So using this glass as a centre to save on my more expensive glass seems a good option.

I guess that my first order is looming, lol. Thank you for all the positive and negative thoughts, and for showing pictures of beads you have made.

Thanks again for the OP who started this mainly positive thread. IT is informative and cleared a lot of misconceptions.

Old 2009-06-16, 7:20am
GlassDocNC

Natasha at Devardi is a sweetie. I think you will be happy.

Marina
Old 2009-06-18, 12:56pm
sunscreen me baby

I played with my devardi for the first time today. I wasn't very impressed with the opaque salmon. I made 4 beads and finally had to resort to putting a rod in the kiln to finish the set. I'm not a fan of glass that keeps popping off the rod. I wasted almost a whole rod on shocking.

I did however like the transparent rose. I only made one bead with it, but it wasn't shocky.

The beads are in the kiln so I'll let you know if the color is something I can't live without

I've got more colors to try out tomorrow.

~

Old 2009-06-18, 1:53pm

@ Suzy....thinking about the last batch of opal yellow I had--it was TOTAL "frit on a stick"!
(and dying to see what you made!!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-18, 1:56pm

The salmon I have to preheat. It is wicked! But in beads is beautiful! That is the only color that I had to keep warm.
Old 2009-06-18, 1:58pm
I fart diamonds

The pinks need to be preheated, also.

Old 2009-06-18, 2:36pm

Me too with the opal yellow. I love the "frit on a stick" description. That's exactly what it is.

The Devardi is shocky but once heated, it's fine for me. No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
@ Suzy....thinking about the last batch of opal yellow I had--it was TOTAL "frit on a stick"!
(and dying to see what you made!!!)

Old 2009-06-18, 3:51pm

LOL...but frit on a stick for $6/lb is better than opal yellow's current price
Old 2009-06-18, 3:53pm
sunscreen me baby

I do like the color. I just made simple flower discs. So I'm not going to have to worry when I try butterscotch and the opaque peach tomorrow am I?

I must be lucky. I have a great batch of opal yellow that doesn't shock. But I have a bundle of honey crunch I keep nice and dusty so I don't use it. Holding on for that hard to find resale value in 10 years, lol.

~

Old 2009-06-18, 7:02pm

oooh, I love honey crunch--it IS aptly named though--they got the "crunch" right--it's shocky, shocky, shocky, but the color is worth it!

The devardi, if you don't pre-heat it (I don't) does best if you treat it as "shocky" (some is, some isn't) & do the "bounce, bounce, bounce" thing in the flame first, & then expect it might shock off the rod a bit...if you melt it "further out" it's easier to control & keep it so when it does crack, you can keep it melting the rod on if you're doing a bigger bead, or just spin the piece on & break it off the rod if you're about where you want to be when it happens.

I pretty much treat all glass to the bounce-bounce-bounce anyway, it's a habit I haven't lost yet from when I was hotheading out in the driveway
~luna

Old 2009-06-18, 7:04pm
sunscreen me baby

I was afraid of that. I like glass I can abuse

~

Old 2009-06-18, 7:11pm

Try "preheating" it the way Tink does with shocky glass--the "pure propane", reduction flame, let it get coated with soot, then clean it off with a nice & blast away method then...I've used that & had great results with other shocky glasses ever since I've been going down to Rockland--I think it's one of the BEST tips Tink ever shared here--useful for every/any type of soft glass, anyone from the first time they use a oxy/propane torch can use that tip, I'm so glad she shared it!

As far as abuse--the glass is quite abuse worthy once you get it on the mandrel! It's stood up to everything I've thrown at it & I'm not real nice to my glass....'cause I'm still nowhere *near* practiced with what I'm doin'

Old 2009-06-18, 7:34pm
product of the universe

here is a video of me working some devardi pink and white. Just some various action shots http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=59220340

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi