The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-07, 6:36pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeads View Post
YES Pam you and others have stated your knowledge of factories over and over and dare I say Ad nauseam.

Everyone has a right to post their opinion and knowledge. If you feel it is "ad nauseam" that is your choice.

It gets a little petty and foolish when people just keep poking and poking.

No matter which side is pushing - I suppose you could say that it is petty and foolish.

I gather it would be like if Natasha had a gun shot wound and everyone kept sticking their finger in the HOLE.....or how about having a Chest Tube put in while wide awake without the aid or drugs, then the nurse coming along and yanking it out and sticking it back in over and over.

I don't blame them at all for being Defensive. I would be too if put in this position as I am sure most of you would be.
You are not seriously equating this to a gunshot wound...are you?? There are some differences of opinions, questions asked and either ignored or avoided BUT....physical pain?

OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-07, 6:37pm

You know, JBeads, that really is just rude. I spent half the day today answering questions and responding to people who directed posts to me here in this thread. I really am sorry to see that you obviously didn't value any of it.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-02-07, 6:43pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
I do believe the indian people are not slaves. They have a choice to work there or not. I believe they would rather have a job and earn a wage than die of starvation.
Actually, in many cases the children in Indian factories ARE essentially slaves, having been purchased for bonded servitude for a set price from their parents, who in most cases were desperate for money for medical services... at least from what I've read, and is why I am so concerned about this issue.

http://stopchildslavery.com/2007/06/...king-in-india/

I try to be really careful not to purchase clothing and other goods that were made under exploitative circumstances, which is fairly hard to do in today's market, as you know. However, it is not at all difficult to do with glass, and as I spend a few thousand dollars on glass, from a number of different vendors, annually, I feel like it's a significant enough amount of my income to warrant taking care with because I think it can make a difference.

I am asking questions not to accuse, but because I want to know the answers. My customers ask me similar questions from time to time, about the sources for my glass, whether it is socially or environmentally conscious, whether I use recycled glass, etc. and I do not have a problem answering those questions, nor do I feel accused or attacked when asked.

Old 2009-02-07, 6:51pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
You know, JBeads, that really is just rude. I spent half the day today answering questions and responding to people who directed posts to me here in this thread. I really am sorry to see that you obviously didn't value any of it.
Pam, Kalera and others....unfortunately your knowledge is only wanted IF you agree with the comments. You are wasting your breath if not... as was stated last night by Daniel (I was going to quote it again however it was deleted by the author ... at least it was quoted by others)

"However, there are also a few who have done nothing but try to railroad our business. These are people who no doubt sell glass themselves, have friends who sell glass, receive free glass from vendors for testing or somehow are affected by us selling glass. Check their websites. They are also people who do very little but spend huge amounts of time on these threads, complaining, criticizing and trying to hurt people. Check their other threads. This thread even took on that tone before we even were known, and it has steadily worsened. It is shameful. So many good people on this thread have decided to completely leave LE because of this small handful of cantankerous people who are out to spoil other people’s lives and our business, only because they can’t handle our competition."

And has been stated by others in this thread ... for example Jack, Bob and Jbeads ... nobody cares. Nobody is interested in your knowledge .... they just want the cheap glass no matter what.

And the rest of us are pathetic people "trying to ruin" others business or are afraid of the competition. Oh, I forgot! You also only dislike the glass because you are a tester or are PAID by other glass makers.... (I still wonder who is paying people to test...I'd love to sign up!)

Why bother helping them? Let them do the work like we did. I'll tell you this much...I'M DONE trying to help....

Last edited by Wiley; 2009-02-07 at 6:59pm.
Old 2009-02-07, 6:55pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Actually, in many cases the children in Indian factories ARE essentially slaves, having been purchased for bonded servitude for a set price from their parents, who in most cases were desperate for money for medical services... at least from what I've read, and is why I am so concerned about this issue.

http://stopchildslavery.com/2007/06/...king-in-india/

I try to be really careful not to purchase clothing and other goods that were made under exploitative circumstances, which is fairly hard to do in today's market, as you know. However, it is not at all difficult to do with glass, and as I spend a few thousand dollars on glass, from a number of different vendors, annually, I feel like it's a significant enough amount of my income to warrant taking care with because I think it can make a difference.

I am asking questions not to accuse, but because I want to know the answers. My customers ask me similar questions from time to time, about the sources for my glass, whether it is socially or environmentally conscious, whether I use recycled glass, etc. and I do not have a problem answering those questions, nor do I feel accused or attacked when asked.
Oh please K..... we "KNOW" you have stuff in your house from China and India! We "KNOW" you shop at Walmart....

We "KNOW" you are just competition wanting to put them out of business.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:00pm
Life is change. Love it

Pam I have found your posts very interesting and I have learned a lot from them as I'm sure have all the lurkers who read but don't post.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:04pm
Storm Queen

Post deletion? .....Not that again.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:07pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Post deletion? .....Not that again.
Well it's not really surprising. Unfortunately for Daniel, so many people quoted it that him deleting it won't make a huge amount of difference

Old 2009-02-07, 7:09pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

And has been stated by others in this thread ... for example Jack, Bob and Jbeads ... nobody cares. Nobody is interested in your knowledge .... they just want the cheap glass no matter what.

You are so, so wrong Wiley. I'm actually starting to feel sad for you.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:13pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Oh please K..... we "KNOW" you have stuff in your house from China and India! We "KNOW" you shop at Walmart....

We "KNOW" you are just competition wanting to put them out of business.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:14pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Well it's not really surprising. Unfortunately for Daniel, so many people quoted it that him deleting it won't make a huge amount of difference
It still pisses me off. It's that exact behavior that got the edit function taken away from all of us a few weeks ago. Don't post at all if you may regret what you posted later.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:16pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post

You are so, so wrong Wiley. I'm actually starting to feel sad for you.
Pray for me....Please!

I found something interesting.....

Dev glass....
http://revver.com/video/1080368/dev-...-manufacturer/

Please tell me that this color chart is different than the one that Devardi has been showing....I can't find the post right now.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:17pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Didn't Natasha answer questions about the glass and factory. She gave her best answer she can as of today. She also stated that she was going to try and get to India to tour the factory.

What I'm finding disheartening is that so many people jumped on Natasha for not giving them the answer they WANTED to hear. At the point that Natasha answered the question about the factory, the thread should have gotten back to being on track.

But no, people needed to continue to assume the worst about the factory. I will say it again. It's as simple as "JUST DON'T BUY THE GLASS" and we can all agree to disagree that you are either OK with Devardi or you're not.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:30pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Pray for me....Please!

O.K. I will. Why are you starting this up again with your hurtful remarks and laughing at what has transpired in this thread? Is calling people out by name fun for you? Is that the way you treat others who have apologized, even though they really didn't need to? That's why I feel sorry for you. You seem to have a spiteful personality and really don't seem to care about others feelings.
Thank you for showing everyone the real you.

Sincerely,
Jack

Old 2009-02-07, 7:30pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Here's a pic of their color chart. I saw it when I picked up the glass but didn't get a chance to look at it as well as I'd like. Jim was nice enough to send me a copy.
There are some colors there I wouldn't mind trying. Especially the pinks.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:32pm
Wahwahbabypants

Just an FYI: I have gone to the Dev worldwide website twice and both times it has tried to install a TROJAN on my computer.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-02-07, 7:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Didn't Natasha answer questions about the glass and factory. She gave her best answer she can as of today. She also stated that she was going to try and get to India to tour the factory.

What I'm finding disheartening is that so many people jumped on Natasha for not giving them the answer they WANTED to hear. At the point that Natasha answered the question about the factory, the thread should have gotten back to being on track.

But no, people needed to continue to assume the worst about the factory. I will say it again. It's as simple as "JUST DON'T BUY THE GLASS" and we can all agree to disagree that you are either OK with Devardi or you're not.
I had the impression that after she had visited the factory she would have a more complete report. That was not directly said as I recall, but strongly implied. It would seem reasonable to allow the time for her to physically go there and check herself. I personally like the fact that she did answer honestly, it would have been very easy to tell us she had been there and it was a wonderful happy place...

I appreciate the honesty a great deal.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:37pm

Quote:
Pray for me....Please!

Dev glass....

Please tell me that this color chart is different than the one that Devardi has been showing....I can't find the post right now.

http://www.devoverseas.com/color%20chart.htm
The colors may be the same, but that doesn't mean the factory that makes those beads also produces the Devardi glass. I watched the video. It was bead making.
Old 2009-02-07, 7:37pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
Pray for me....Please!

O.K. I will. Why are you starting this up again with your hurtful remarks and laughing at what has transpired in this thread? Is calling people out by name fun for you? Is that the way you treat others who have apologized, even though they really didn't need to? That's why I feel sorry for you. You seem to have a spiteful personality and really don't seem to care about others feelings.
Thank you for showing everyone the real you.

Sincerely,
Jack
I agreed with you earlier.....you replied by and I am starting up again? I also asked you for a clarification in a post where YOU said you "didn't like people" ... you chose to ignore.

YOU said you feel sorry for me....I said pray for me. I thought it was (still is!) funny. I didn't laugh at this thread or what has happened. I laughed at YOUR comment. BIG difference.

YOU know nothing about me...nothing about my personality. I have also shown the "real me" to everyone here for years. Ask around. I have nothing to hide and the people who know me from here and other places in real life know I am exactly the same here as I am in person. Not even close to spiteful or nasty.

BTW...who apologized?? YOU to ME? No. You know who I feel sorry for? YOU and your narrow-minded thoughts. Why don't you save your pity for someone who needs it.

Ya, like I said parts of this thread have become a joke and I have no problem saying who has caused it....I won't bother around with the "YOU PEOPLE" ... that is insulting to the entire community.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:38pm
Wahwahbabypants

I'm tellin' ya, do a virus scan quick!!

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-02-07, 7:38pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:

Thanks Carolyn! Loooong thread...I just missed it.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:41pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
The colors may be the same, but that doesn't mean the factory that makes those beads also produces the Devardi glass. I watched the video. It was bead making.
Yep. It was....

I was wrong about the color chart...Carolyn found the right one for me. Thanks again Carolyn

Old 2009-02-07, 7:42pm

Quote:
Pray for me....Please!

Dev glass....

http://www.devoverseas.com/color%20chart.htm

I pulled up both and compared fairly carefully. I believe they are different for the most part. I would not be surprised however to discover that both are buying the raw glass from the same place. However there are differences in the colors selections etc. Its not however a shock to think an Indian glass bead company is using Indian made glass.

We could simply ask Natasha if it is the company she is buying from, but if it were I'd expect the color charts to match.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:43pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcb View Post
I'm tellin' ya, do a virus scan quick!!
Thanks a lot for the tip! I appreciate it. I just posted with the link because when I ran a search for this glass....Dev's glass in India came up too....

Perhaps just a fluke.... who knows.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:45pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I pulled up both and compared fairly carefully. I believe they are different for the most part. I would not be surprised however to discover that both are buying the raw glass from the same place. However there are differences in the colors selections etc. Its not however a shock to think an Indian glass bead company is using Indian made glass.

We could simply ask Natasha if it is the company she is buying from, but if it were I'd expect the color charts to match.
Like I said....probably just a fluke. I'm sure you're right about Indian flameworkers using Indian glass....certainly not a stretch

Old 2009-02-07, 7:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

the numbers and the color match.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-07, 7:50pm

Why would someone sell a product without researching everything they could about it first, so when their potential customers ask questions, they would have the answers. That's just good business practice.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:55pm

Quote:
Like I said....probably just a fluke. I'm sure you're right about Indian flameworkers using Indian glass....certainly not a stretch
LOL, ya know if there was a wonderful, inexpensive American made line of glass with every color I could hope for, I'd never buy imported glass again.

I'd even settle for a limited pallet of compatible colors that were inexpensive and American made.

I certainly won't blame anyone else for using glass made in their country.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:59pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed that all turns out to be acceptable in general as to the manufacturing of this glass - it sure is pretty - rocks and all!

I'm also hoping that no one construed my last post as being accusative or in support - one way or the other - of anyone or anything! I just think that fairness would call for giving Daniel and Natasha a reasonable amount of time to properly inform us of their findings.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-07, 7:59pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
LOL, ya know if there was a wonderful, inexpensive American made line of glass with every color I could hope for, I'd never buy imported glass again.

I'd even settle for a limited pallet of compatible colors that were inexpensive and American made.

I certainly won't blame anyone else for using glass made in their country.
I definitely agree!

Tags
devardi, missing posts?