Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-22, 8:23pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielac View Post
Yes, I have heated up the wire. I have tried it just like I was putting glass on a mandrel. Is there a certain metal wire that needs to be used (copper, silver etc.)?
I prefer copper or brass, but recently I made some wedding-cake toppers right on the end of a length of mandrels. You do have to heat the metal to red-hot, though. In what way were the glass and metal rejecting each other?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-05, 5:48am

I'm about to purchase a tumbler for etching beads. Would you recommend getting the 2 barrel model over the single barrel? Can you tell me the brand of etching material, style/size and the best source for purchasing it? Do you use more than one type of etching material and if so how do you decide which to use on a bead? I plan to etch beads that are all transparent, all opaque and a mix of the two as well as single color sea glass type beads for spacers. Most of all can you suggest any real NO-NOs?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and I know there will be a little bit of a personal learning curve required. That's the adrenaline part of glass work.
Old 2011-08-05, 8:04am

I have a two barrel tumbler. I use one for etching, and the other for tumbling jewelry. You want to have two for that so that the etching medium doesn't contaminate your jewelry tumbling. I'd really like one more barrel so I could keep liver of sulfur jewelry separate from regular - again to avoid cross contamination.
Old 2011-08-05, 12:04pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

I now wish I had gotten a 2 barrel. I tumble copper in it and now I'm afraid to put my silver back in it. I also want to tumble etch beads and I'm not sure about it after copper. Does anyone know?

Old 2011-08-05, 1:55pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ive heard if you polish anything, you shouldnt etch anything in a same barrel. So I also wish Id gotten the 2 barrel one... and then on the other hand... the one barrel one is still in its original package...
But I didnt know that you shouldnt tumble copper and silver in the same one... maybe I still need 2 more barrels?
Old 2011-08-05, 2:19pm

I'm not sure that's true, Pia. I'm asking to find out. It's a bit of info my brain didn't retain cos I thought - I'll never need to do that- well, down the road a few years.............

Old 2011-08-05, 3:09pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

if you find out, please let me know too.
Old 2011-08-05, 4:10pm
Making doo-lollies

You can tumble silver and copper together with no problems. Just scrub the pieces well to remove excess debris with light soap and an old toothbrush...rinse.. add to tumbler with water cover the pieces and a drop of Dawn ( or fav cleaner) and tumble away.
I you have used Liver of Sulfur be SURE to do the cleaning bit before adding to tumbler!!
You want to remove any excess sulfur residue so it does not turn your barrel black.

The only problems with having the two metals together would be in a pickle solution ( cleaner ) IF you use a steel instrument to remove them from the pickle. The steel will make the copper particles in the pickle plate onto the sterling silver.

Hope that wasn't too much info..lol.. and hope it helps! I tumble mine together with no issues at all. have fun!

Old 2011-08-05, 4:47pm

I was told that if you use metal grit to tumble jewelry that you can use the same tumbler = just wash it out well but to keep the metal grits seperate because even if you rinse and wash the grits, if there are any with copper still on them they can turn your silver black. I use same tumbler for silver and copper but keep my metal grits seperate.

LynieG
Old 2011-08-05, 5:27pm
Making doo-lollies

I am sorry that I did not say what medium to tumble with for the metal.

When you work harden silver / copper one uses stainless steel shot, not grits. The shot cleans the sharp edges off the metal, polishes it up wonderfully and work hardens it.

I would agree with you on keeping the metals separate when using grits! Totally different rules for different mediums.
Again..I apologize !

Old 2011-08-05, 6:02pm
Critter Mom

Couldn't you just buy additional barrels and label them if you wanted to keep things separate...I think that's what I'd do. My tumbler only has one barrel.

Old 2011-08-05, 6:04pm

good idea bonnie!

Old 2011-08-05, 6:15pm
dances with ideas...

I have multiple barrels for my 1-barrel tumbler, like Bonnie mentioned. Works fine for me, but I'm not tumbling multiple things on a daily basis.

Here's a little more info about tumbling copper and silver:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68435

Hope this helps.

Old 2011-08-05, 6:16pm

Hi,
How do you create those glowing blue Astoria beads that are currently for sale on your site?
Thanks for all the advice
Karen
Old 2011-08-06, 9:12am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbunny2009 View Post
Hi,
How do you create those glowing blue Astoria beads that are currently for sale on your site?
Thanks for all the advice
Karen
Those are an oooooold Bullseye special production color... I have no idea what the name was, but I think it's a mix of light blue, light aquamarine, and Aurora. I only have a few rods, so when I run out I'm going to experiment with making my own cane.

To get the "glow", you have to use a slightly reducing flame toward the end.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 3:19pm.
Old 2011-08-06, 11:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmom View Post
I am sorry that I did not say what medium to tumble with for the metal.

When you work harden silver / copper one uses stainless steel shot, not grits. The shot cleans the sharp edges off the metal, polishes it up wonderfully and work hardens it.

I would agree with you on keeping the metals separate when using grits! Totally different rules for different mediums.
Again..I apologize !
OK I am so brain dead!!! I couldn't think for the life of me the word SHOT so grits was the only thing I could think of! And what's REALLY sad is thatI keep forgetting words like that! GGRRRR I am sorry! And the shot really makes the jewelry shine! I do what the others do. Water to the level of the metal shot and beads then a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing soap. Tumble for a couple of hours and Wha Lah!

LynieG
Old 2011-08-20, 1:49pm
Wonder-wench

Hi Kalera,

you are so sweet to offer your experience in this thread. I tried to make etched glow beads (white interior encased with transparent) and am happy overall with the result, but the glass around the silver dots looks terrible. I tumbled them in a lortone 3b with 220 grit, water and a few trash beads for 12 hours or so. Is this too long? I tried shorter tumble time, but could see the glass near the dots wasn't etched (too much surface texture?). Any suggestions?

Old 2011-08-20, 3:02pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

tried etchall?
Old 2011-08-20, 4:44pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMagicGlass View Post
Hi Kalera,

you are so sweet to offer your experience in this thread. I tried to make etched glow beads (white interior encased with transparent) and am happy overall with the result, but the glass around the silver dots looks terrible. I tumbled them in a lortone 3b with 220 grit, water and a few trash beads for 12 hours or so. Is this too long? I tried shorter tumble time, but could see the glass near the dots wasn't etched (too much surface texture?). Any suggestions?

I've never had good luck tumbling beads made with silver wire... it always chips, or pops off entirely. I think that chemical etch is the only way to do it with those.

Old 2011-08-20, 6:33pm

Hi Pia.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
tried etchall?

Last edited by Cabaribeads; 2011-09-25 at 5:35am.
Old 2011-08-20, 7:23pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Ok I threw this into the tips section and have no bites! Can you help me? Thanks in advance Kalera!

Hello all! This sounds lame but how do you use disc nippers? I just got a nice (used) pair and don't want to trash the edges, but am not sure the best way to use them on murrini and more.
Many thanks!
Smiles, Sheri

Old 2011-08-20, 8:19pm
Wonder-wench

okey, dokey guys thanks for helping me with the etch question. i have etch chemical, but for some reason thought it would eat the silver away. I'll try it next time, in fact i think I'll try it now with one that one of the silver dots fell off (just like you said Kalera )

Old 2011-08-21, 11:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Mae View Post
Ok I threw this into the tips section and have no bites! Can you help me? Thanks in advance Kalera!

Hello all! This sounds lame but how do you use disc nippers? I just got a nice (used) pair and don't want to trash the edges, but am not sure the best way to use them on murrini and more.
Many thanks!
Smiles, Sheri
You just put the cane in so that the nippers aren't quite top & bottom on the cane, more like 2/3rds of the way onto it, and go! You'll figure it out quite quickly. You won't ruin them practicing... maybe just try it on on some cheap plain rods first, until you get the hang of it.

Old 2011-08-21, 11:59pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Mae View Post

Many thanks!
Smiles, Sheri
Dee posted a tutorial, you may find it helpful. http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140841

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-08-22, 12:13am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

They are so easy to use, the only time I have any difficulties is if my chips get too thick. They still cut, but the cut might not end up being very nice and even. But small murrini goes really nice and even.
Old 2011-08-22, 5:26am

Thanks everyone for the etching tips. The tip about using shot to do the metal is great to know for when I get to that phase. And I will be sure to get a 2 barrel model. I'm still not sure of the choice for the material to use for etching the beads or best source for purchasing it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Andrea
Old 2011-09-04, 9:39pm
plays with fire

bump
Old 2011-09-06, 1:22am
Naysayer

Sorry to interrupt the tumbler question, but the beads with silver wire reminded me I have a question about wire. I've done this many times but lately it's like the glass rejects the wire. *yes it is fine .999, it's the same spool I used in the past

Especially on some transparents. Sometimes the 'balls' pop right off while I'm melting it in and they go flying, sometimes they come off later. And see in their photo it's a good close up so it's a good example, the bubbles around some, doesn't look stable like they will come off at some point.

Any clue? Is it some glasses don't like it or? I tried marvering them in and they still fly. I haven't tried again as I feel I'm wasting glass, silver and time, but I really like the look.
Old 2011-09-06, 5:50am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
And see in their photo it's a good close up so it's a good example, the bubbles around some, doesn't look stable like they will come off at some point.
Did you have image attached? If you did, I cant see it.
Old 2011-09-06, 2:59pm
Naysayer

Oh sorry no, the photos in post #587 up there is what I referred to.
I can post pics if I can find the beads, I don't think I saved any.