Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-12-18, 7:01am

Default Nikon D40?

I have to get a new camera, and my father in law is giving me his old macro nikon lens! So cool - anyway, deciding between the D40 or the D80, but bsides the price, can't see the difference for jewelry. Just wondering if anyone shoots with the D40?

Thanks!!!!
Angie
Old 2008-12-18, 9:56am
Dichro Addict

I have a D40 and love it. For the price, you just can't beat it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-18, 10:02am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The D80 is more likely to be fully compatible with the old lens that your FIL is giving you. Ask him what "kind" of lens it is - there are AF-R Af-S, AR, etc. My niece has a D40 and my old Nikon lenses worked with it, but the autofocus function on the lens did not and it had to be manually focused. The D50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 all work fully with the old lenses I have.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-18, 10:11am
In search of her path....

well one thing you need to know is the D40 doesnt use the older nikon lenses very well. If its an older nikon AF lense it wont work right on the D40 but it should be just fine on the D80. the D80/90 I know for sure use the older lenses and I believe the D60 as well but the D80 is a great buy Ive seen some really really good deals on it lately with a kit type setup.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-18, 5:03pm

Thank you so much for all your help! Kimberly those photos are AWESOME! I think the standard lenses are the same on both. I can afford the D40, but the $700 for the D80 is seriously expensive. I think the autofocus on the lenses thing is the only downside that i can see. Ummmm what to do, what to do......
Old 2008-12-18, 5:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4680 View Post
Thank you so much for all your help! Kimberly those photos are AWESOME! I think the standard lenses are the same on both. I can afford the D40, but the $700 for the D80 is seriously expensive. I think the autofocus on the lenses thing is the only downside that i can see. Ummmm what to do, what to do......
There is a special here for a D80 with an 18 to 55 and a 55 to 200 for $699 - check out wolf camera.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-18, 5:46pm
In search of her path....

oh thats a really good deal squid!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-18, 5:51pm
Dichro Addict

You could take the lens with you to a Wolf Camera and ask them to test it with a D40 to make sure it works okay. I think Kim is using the lens that comes with the D40, not a macro lens, and her pictures are fantastic!!! Any of the new lenses should work fine with it, but that is definitely good information to know. I did not know that the older lenses wouldn't work with it. Thanks guys!

And that is a great price for the D80 with those lenses!

Old 2008-12-18, 5:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

There are different series of new lenses too though, so always make sure what you are getting what works with your particular camera

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-18, 6:05pm
Disconnected

I love my D40 too. My honey gave me the standard lens that came with his D70 for bead pix but for regular vacation/family pix I use my own lens.

One feature I love on the D40 (not sure it comes with the other models) is the self timer on the side of the camera body. You don't have to go to menu or use another key as for the D70, it's just easier.

Last edited by Flonche; 2008-12-18 at 6:08pm.
Old 2008-12-19, 7:23am

Hey Squid - I'm not seeing on wolf camera the d80 with both lenses. The d40 and 60 but maybe I'm missing something. Is it just in your area?
Old 2008-12-25, 1:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4680 View Post
Hey Squid - I'm not seeing on wolf camera the d80 with both lenses. The d40 and 60 but maybe I'm missing something. Is it just in your area?
I just saw your question - sorry I didn't see it sooner. When I posted they had the D80 with the one lens on special and they had a bonus free quantaray lens if you bought the package. I don't see the free lens available now.

DOG is my co-pilot