Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-06-04, 7:51pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh a HH, still not real flash results, but I've got these from making twistie/stringer from flaky frit:
Could be worse
Some of the reduction is kind of nice, if only I could get it consistent. And that round one is actually Reichenbach Raspberry, with all those reactions happening with the Raku. Only the bead holes show the base colour! I do like that.
I think I'll put it all away until I get a bigger torch, tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2011-06-04 at 7:53pm.
Old 2011-06-05, 12:38am

Essie..those are beautiful! Guess you don't need my special HH collar after all I love how you use your backgrounds..we have has virtually only 3 days of sun out of the last 5 weeks so shooting photos out in the rain does not make my mediochre beads look good.
"

Old 2011-08-28, 10:06am

Like to refresh this wonderful thread with a new Raku set I made.

Elke
Old 2011-08-28, 11:40am
JulieV

Wow! Those are spectacular!

Old 2011-08-28, 11:48am
Loving learning

Oh My Goodness!!! I need to try raku!
Old 2011-08-28, 12:12pm
Bead Artist

Beautiful color! I'm going to have to dig out my raku

Old 2011-08-28, 12:13pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Wow Elke beautiful set!
I've been getting a little more color from switching hothead to cricket but still not fantastic color like that!!
It worked best for me making a twisty then applying. The middle one using frit came out so pastel looking, barely any colors....the other two had good color. Just have to keep practicing I guess
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-29, 12:40pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

If I could get those colors out of raku I'd never buy another bit of silver glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
Like to refresh this wonderful thread with a new Raku set I made.

Elke

Old 2011-08-29, 12:58pm
...displaced ocean lover

Elke,
I'm with Patty, if I could make my Raku look like yours it would be on beads instead of on the shelf!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2011-08-29, 10:46pm

Thanks for the nice compliments.

Elke
Old 2011-09-03, 6:49am

Raku envy here! Makes me want to try again. Did you follow the recommendations given here? Any new wisdom?

Old 2011-09-30, 10:36am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default Starting to see some pinks finally.....

Gettin' closer!

Old 2011-09-30, 10:42pm

Omg gorgeous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by locococo View Post
like to refresh this wonderful thread with a new raku set i made.

elke

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2011-10-11, 11:15am

Loco, Just beautiful!! You got some amazing colors.
Here is my first set using Dawns instructions.

Thank you Dawn!
Old 2011-10-11, 12:28pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Wow! So many beautiful beads have been added since I last checked in!
Elke, your bead set looks good enough to lick!
Teena, you got some great colors and I'm so glad the tips helped!

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2011-10-11, 12:29pm
Mmmmm....Raku

And since I'm here, I figured I would show my latest set too....

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2011-10-11, 12:54pm

Beautiful set Teena.
Dawn....like always
That's one of my favorite threads.....love it!

Thanks for the nice comments.
Elke
Old 2011-10-11, 2:10pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Just beautiful. Sigh.

I found a little chunk of marble slab recently. It's been in the freezer, and I plan to have one last go at striking raku, with its help. Wish me luck

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-10-11, 3:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Just beautiful. Sigh.

I found a little chunk of marble slab recently. It's been in the freezer, and I plan to have one last go at striking raku, with its help. Wish me luck

I can't get it to strike for love or money, either. I've contemplated buying a chunk of dry ice to chill my tools with but have never gotten around to it.
Old 2011-10-13, 1:38pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Ive never gotten anything but baby poo...i printed out post 405 and worked with it by my side...
attempt 1

attempt 2

so i'm pretty happy and will keep working
Thanks Dawn...

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-10-17, 8:54am
Millionaire in Training

Dawn, thank you so much for your sharing here! It took me about 4 tries to get the raku to bloom. I kept going back to the post on page 14 to see what I wasn't doing. I'm always fairly convinced I'm doing everything right when I'm learning something new and it still isn't working...(heeheehee) The thing that made everything work was putting my mandrel right at the edge of those candles. The candles are so short, but as soon as I did, it looked like solar flares on the bead's surface.

I knew it was right when it turned brownish black. I had been reducing it before this. It helped to turn down the propane and the oxygen up as well. I still don't have the amazing colors Elke got in her very inspiring beads, but I'm pretty happy with what I have. The first time I put the frit on a bead, I reduced it and thought, this frit's a dud. Hahahah! I'm excited now as I have two short 1 inch diameter rods of R108 - chunks really - and I think I may just pound the heck out of them to make frit. Some people in the local ASGB talked about puntying up the big chunks and pulling them into cane, but that seems like a lot of work...

I'm so excited! I'll put pictures up when they come out of the kiln.

Old 2011-10-17, 2:06pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Can't wait to see your picks periwinkle. I have one of those hunks I'm afraid to do anything with too

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-11-05, 6:14pm
Loving learning

Can I ask, who makes Raku, and does it come in rod form as well as frit? I think I'm going to order some, just don't know if it is made by more than one manufacturer etc. to find it.

OK, I think I remember it's Riechenbach (sp) because of the R.
Now to find out who has a good price!

Last edited by Eileen; 2011-11-05 at 8:20pm.
Old 2011-11-06, 3:38pm
Evil Glass Enabler

I always get mine from Olympic Color Rods if I want a lot. For smaller quantities I use Reenie http://www.lampworksupplies.com/inde...lovklr6ndt4td7 and That Frit Girl http://www.thatfritgirl.com/category_25/Opaque.htm. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Can I ask, who makes Raku, and does it come in rod form as well as frit? I think I'm going to order some, just don't know if it is made by more than one manufacturer etc. to find it.

OK, I think I remember it's Riechenbach (sp) because of the R.
Now to find out who has a good price!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-11-06, 4:06pm
Loving learning

Do you buy rods as well as frit, or just use the frit?
Old 2011-11-06, 4:46pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Well, before the fire and move I had both. Now, I have NO CLUE where my raku is. Angelique

Quote:
Do you buy rods as well as frit, or just use the frit?

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-11-06, 4:54pm
Loving learning

Awww, I hope you run across them someday when you're needing a lift.
Old 2011-11-06, 7:00pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thanks! Me too. Angelique

Quote:
Awww, I hope you run across them someday when you're needing a lift.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2011-11-06, 8:32pm

Dawn -
This was a really, really helpful posting - thank you so much for doing that, and the pictures are YUMMY! I just bought some Raku Iris Orange rods from Glass Diversions (awesome company by the way), so this was a perfect post for me to see tonight. Your work is gorgeous!
Old 2011-11-13, 3:16pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Dawn, I probably should mention that since I read and actually followed all your instructions I've been much better at all the striking glasses. Ive gotten color from Magic, Raku, and Terra even...who knew...thanks Dawn. Please post more pics to insipre us mere mortals
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon