Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2009-07-17, 11:20am
Artist Without A Cause

Default Is the Gem Faire in California worth it?

I often see advertisements to be a vendor at the Gem Faire in Santa Monica, CA. They charge about $800-1200 for a 10x10. I only have a small setup of about 100 items. Has anyone ever attended a Gem Faire to know if it's worth the high price. I'm desperate to find glass shows in California and the Gem Faire is the only one I know of, I just don't have a big enough setup to travel to other states for the big glass shows, I doubt I could cover the expenses with 1 small table of beads. Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 2009-07-17, 4:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

You should go and see it, there's one going on this weekend. I went to an Intergem show in Santa Monica a couple of months ago and didn't see a single lampworker, a lot of "gem" stone beads, some tools and a lot of cr@p. But I got the seed beads I was looking for and some Swarovski's I wasn't looking for but bought anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-19, 11:26am
maybe tomorrow

Santa Monica isn't too far from me, so I did their Bead Faire once a few years ago. I drove with a friend that was also doing the show (fused glass), so we were able to share gas/hotel. I actually did OK, but I don't think I'd do one again. I mostly do Bead Shows that have a fair number of glass beadmakers, but I was the only one at this one. It was very small compared to what I'm used to, and was mostly gemstones and pearls, etc. Not even any silver that I can remember.

Old 2009-07-30, 6:08pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

As a buyer, I love the Gem Faire in Sacramento. I was never looking for anything but Swarovski though, and I can't remember ever seeing any lampwork beads of any quality.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-08-01, 8:14pm
Skeptical Optimist

Glad someone asked already, I just got back home from a day trip to visit the Pasadena Bead Show and was wondering if the Gem Faire would be better for glassworkers and tools. I only saw one table of actual USA-made glass, and I was looking (as much as I could while navigating a sea of crafty women). Too much imported stuff, ones I know I saw in the FMG catalog like silver foil heart pendants for $2. No display vendors or tools other than a Bead Smith pair of pliers offered for $20! Well actually the Art Clay folks had a reasonable pair of pliers for 6.25 but no ergonomic handles. Sorry, not wanting to turn this into a review but at least now you know for next year this ain't the right one for glassies Several clothing vendors too, oddly enough... We did meet a cool couple from Hawaii though that had the only good glass booth I found, so that was a little redemption. Good luck, I hope you find some good shows

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2009-08-02, 9:01am
maybe tomorrow

Keep in mind that the one in Santa Monica is their Bead Faire, which I have to assume would be a little different than the regular Gem Faire. I've never been to the Gem Faire though, so I don't know if there really is a difference in the type of vendors that participate.

Old 2009-08-02, 1:56pm
FireBeads

I used to show my lampwork at the Bead Faire in Santa Monica about 7 or 8 years ago. I sold there 4 times. At first it was OK, but after the 2nd time I never even made costs and attendance was very low. I never went back - to shop or show so I don't know what it's like now. I'd visit the show before signing up.
Old 2009-08-02, 2:31pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

It's crap.
They have tons of sellers selling cheap imported shit.
I was disgusted by all the "lampwork beads" that were
imported, sold for dirt cheap, full of bead release and already
cracking from being improperly annealed. I even asked the
vendor about the cracks (which were obviously stress
fractures) and she said "oh, those must have been dropped ".

Don't waste your time there. It's not for quality beadmakers.

FYI - I go to these shows about 2-3x a year. I get my other
supplies there. I frequent the whole bead show, the Pasadena
show, AND the Big Intergem show.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-08-03, 3:58pm
Skeptical Optimist

Karen, we shoulda gone together, might have been more fun

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2009-08-03, 4:03pm

The Gem Faire here in Northern Cal is everything but handmade lampwork. Lots of imports like Karen said and mostly jewelry. I don't think I would be a good venue for a lampworker.

Old 2009-08-25, 8:52am
Pattyglass

Have you tried the Glass Craft & Bead Expo in Las Vegas? We have some of the finest artists selling their work. Our show revolves around "Glass Art".
Check out our website: www.glasscraftexpo.com.
Our 2010 show is April 7-11 with the show floor open April 9-11.